GDT: Game 33 | Pittsburgh Penguins vs Florida Panthers | Dec 15 @ 7PM | Suns Out, Guns Out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I feel like Staal has been a good 2C his entire career. The problem is that he was being paid closer to a 1C at the beginning of the deal and now that the cap has gone up, his production has started to slip some, and he's closer to a 3C. Still a fine player, though.

Looking over his stats, I found it strange that he's only been in the top 5 in the Selke voting once when he finished 3rd...in '09-'10. It's mostly a reputation award, but finishing 3rd early in his career, famous last name, somewhat consistently finishing top 15 year after year, and being legitimately good defensively, I figured he'd be near the top more of the voting more often. Maybe not winning it with guys like Bergeron, Toews, Kopitar, etc. around most of that time, but he's only been top 10 on 3 other occassions.

psssst... it's because he's heinously overrated mostly by Penguins fans

Though he IS a good player for his role. Which is shutdown depth center.

And also some would argue the Selke and how it's determined is a bit goofed up similar to how some would argue the Norris is goofed up. I don't really agree but it's AN argument.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
psssst... it's because he's heinously overrated mostly by Penguins fans

Though he IS a good player for his role.

And also some would argue the Selke and how it's determined is a bit goofed up similar to how some would argue the Norris is goofed up. I don't really agree but it's AN argument.
How is it determined? :laugh: It's just a reputation award isn't it? Or do you mean it's "best defensive forward....who is also at least pretty good offensively"?

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
How is it determined? :laugh: It's just a reputation award isn't it? Or do you mean it's "best defensive forward....who is also at least pretty good offensively"?

Exactly. Many would say that the TRUE best defensive forwards never actually win because they don't get enough points and thus attention. To that I say "scoring goals is still the point of the game."

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Exactly. Many would say that the TRUE best defensive forwards never actually win because they don't get enough points and thus attention. To that I say "scoring goals is still the point of the game."
Well, that is true. Otherwise, ZAR would have a full trophy case by now.

But it's not like Staal doesn't produce either. I feel like he checks all the boxes for a typical Selke candidate.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Crazy how in shape the team looks compared to even 10-15 years ago
I see a bunch of boys that could use some Gary Robert's boot camp.
BaK_dYlCIAA61mn.jpg

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Can we at least talk about how we’re going to lose tonight, especially if MT is feeling better?

Well yeah we already knew that I hope.

L2 is gonna be a shitshow nightmare. I do know that.

Hopefully L1 can keep them in it and we keep getting top tier goaltending.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Feels like we win tonight than go 0 - 4 against the Canes, Rangers, and Devils.
Is that any better lol?

Well yeah we already knew that I hope.

L2 is gonna be a shitshow nightmare. I do know that.

Hopefully L1 can keep them in it and we keep getting top tier goaltending.
Bob’s gonna have his second shutout in a row though, so it doesn’t matter lol…

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
And yet there’s still people who hate Ruh…

Conclusion: Letang needs to have more strokes? Lol

Reactions: Flying Dego

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
well.
*scoring 'more' goals than your opponent' is the point of the game.
Technically.
Or specifically.
Eh.
:wedgie:

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
And yet there’s still people who hate Ruh…

Conclusion: Letang needs to have more strokes? Lol

Does anyone truly hate Ruh? He's ole reliable #6 in a pinch.

Costs nothing. I'm glad we've kept him for peanuts all these years.

Also...am I the only one a little leary with Letang taking on big minutes right after his stroke? I mean it's up to the docs and him so I guess he's all good.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Does anyone truly hate Ruh? He's ole reliable #6 in a pinch.

Costs nothing. I'm glad we've kept him for peanuts all these years.

Also...am I the only one a little leary with Letang taking on big minutes right after his stroke? I mean it's up to the docs and him so I guess he's all good.

@Better Call Maul, @HandshakeLine and myself.

No Tkachuk in warm ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad