GDT: Game 33 | Pittsburgh Penguins vs Florida Panthers | Dec 15 @ 7PM | Suns Out, Guns Out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
shotgun-futurama.gif

Pittsburgh Penguins
@
Florida Panthers

December 15th, 2022 @ 7:00 PM EST

FLA Live Arena in Sunrise, Florida.

cut.jpg

Projected Lineups (Subject to Change)

:pens
Jake Guentzel - Sidney Crosby - Rickard Rakell
Danton Heinen - Evgeni Malkin - Byran Rust
Brock McGinn - Jeff Carter - Kasperi Kapanen
Ryan Poehling - Teddy Bleuger - Josh Archibald

Marcus Pettersson - Kris Letang
P.O. Joseph - Chad Rudwedel
Brian Dumoulin - Jan Rutta

Tristin Jarry
Casey DeSmith

Injuries:
Jason Zucker - Lower Body - Week to Week
Jeff Petry - Upper Body - Week to Week

:panthers
Tkachuk - Barkov - Reinhart
Luostarinen - Bennett - White
Cousins - Staal- Denisenko
Lomberg - Tierney - Dalpe

Forsling - Ekblad
Staal - Montour
Kiersted - Mahura

Bobrovsky
Lyon

Players to focus on:
:pens
Danton Heinen - after being a healthy scratch for several games and with the recent injury to Jason Zucker, this is Heinen's best opportunity to restate his case for being a permanent fixture in the lineup. Kapanen made the most of his debut and following games, can Heinen do the same? Presumably, he will be slotted next to Malkin and Rust, and while those two have been a little cold lately, they certainly are not slouches in the offensive zone. While Heinen may define "vanilla" in his style of play, he has been a player with a good enough skill set that allows him to move up and down the lineup with certain degree of comfort. He can fit as easily on Line 1 as Line 4. I would, however, argue his effectiveness craters when put on a 4th line in an energy/checking role, as that is not his game. Perhaps getting top 6 minutes with Malkin and Rust will turn the tide? We all hope so, as the Panthers have several guys that can hurt you.

:panthers
Eric Staal - I'm just interested in seeing how the old guy does. He's a relatively likable guy and I always find myself rooting for him. Has age finally caught up with him? We'll see.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
According to Molinari, Verhaeghe seems likely to play against the Pens unfortunately….great player…and Knight is available although Bob just shut out CBJ so who knows…no morning skate for the Pens

pitpan.JPG

Reactions: fragmag

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
According to Molinari, Verhaeghe seems likely to play against the Pens unfortunately….great player…and Knight is available although Bob just shut out CBJ so who knows…no morning skate for the Pens

pitpan.JPG

Pens should probably play a non-physical game and distance themselves from all scrums after the whistle.
Once the bug hits our team you know it's gonna ravage the lineup.
How did Petry get injured?
Jammed his wrist on the boards after taking a check from behind.
I'll add that Zucker took a shot off the boot and fractured his foot most likely.

Reactions: Andy99

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean... Heinen did... OK... in that spot last year. Lots of chances... little in the way of real results.

So basically just L2 stuff as usual.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I wish I was in Florida right now, 30 cm snowstorm on it's way tomorrow here!!!!

Let's Go Pens!!!!!!! Keep the streak going boys!

Pens should probably play a non-physical game and distance themselves from all scrums after the whistle.
Once the bug hits our team you know it's gonna ravage the lineup.

Jammed his wrist on the boards after taking a check from behind.
I'll add that Zucker took a shot off the boot and fractured his foot most likely.

Nice, hopefully we can catch a break

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
"Eric Staal - I'm just interested in seeing how the old guy does. He's a relatively likable guy and I always find myself rooting for him. Has age finally caught up with him? We'll see."

I've always preferred Eric vs Jordan. I swear we always get the wrong brother: Hatcher, Primeau, etc

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
"Eric Staal - I'm just interested in seeing how the old guy does. He's a relatively likable guy and I always find myself rooting for him. Has age finally caught up with him? We'll see."

I've always preferred Eric vs Jordan. I swear we always get the wrong brother: Hatcher, Primeau, etc
*Looks at Mario Lemieux's family tree*
dd0.jpg

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Florida for some reason didn't upgrade the D. Weeger is a big loss and I really have no idea why picking up a player when you had a top forward and better D man sent to the flames. Florida gagged in the playoffs last year and they are simply not nearly as good this year. Pens can win this game.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I mean, he potted 18g in 76 games. Might give him a little more than "okay".
Heinen is a nice depth piece. But an odd one.

He'll play high caliber for a clip then completely ghost. Basically a player I enjoy at 1M but boy if we were paying him 3M I'd not be all that happy.

Maybe we can make him like Ruh with paltry contracts but security.

Reactions: RSPens

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018

He'll play high caliber for a clip then completely ghost. Basically a player I enjoy at 1M but boy if we were paying him 3M I'd not be all that happy.

Will be good to see him in a top 6 role to try and get some swagger back.

Btw I'm sorry about Zuck...
Wanted to see him healthy and see if he could make it to 50. Woulda been fun. :(

Reactions: Flying Dego

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

At least we doubled down on the Ferraro twins.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm not at all a Heinen hater. But he's a league journeyman. Sometimes they post up a nice season... sometimes they look like they belong in the Swiss league.
I think that describes half the team and half the league though.

Pretty fair assessment. At $1mil, he's the ideal depth forward because, as I said, you can slot him on any
You are probably sitting pretty in Arizona?
I do travel there for work from time to time, but no. I've left hints as to my location though.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Florida for some reason didn't upgrade the D. Weeger is a big loss and I really have no idea why picking up a player when you had a top forward and better D man sent to the flames. Florida gagged in the playoffs last year and they are simply not nearly as good this year. Pens can win this game.
They were pretty screwed cap-wise. That's why they lost Weegar and Marchment in the 1st place.
6.5 mil buyout hit that kicked in this year. Barkov got his fat pay raise too.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

The reason Florida made the trade they did is because Huberdeau is old and Weegar is Barkov’s age.

They moved out two older UFAs to bring in a forward who was less dependent on rush play and who fits with their younger core in Lundell, Knight, etc.

They were effectively screwed this year due to Bob, Hornqvist and Yandle’s buy out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad