GDT: Game 33 | Pittsburgh Penguins vs Florida Panthers | Dec 15 @ 7PM | Suns Out, Guns Out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
FkClD3nWAAESqyr

• Haha
Reactions: BusinessGoose

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Geno gets to sleep in his own bed.... I'm sure he has the whole Disney collection from hitting Disney world so much in Orlando every summer..

hlp_950x460_onedayonly-10towels-30offswim_20170424.jpg

Reactions: Andy99

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
"Eric Staal - I'm just interested in seeing how the old guy does. He's a relatively likable guy and I always find myself rooting for him. Has age finally caught up with him? We'll see."

I've always preferred Eric vs Jordan. I swear we always get the wrong brother: Hatcher, Primeau, etc
I dunno. Eric had the better prime but Jordan has had some impressive longevity. Eric started to fall around 34 but Jordan still seems to be going strong

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I dunno. Eric had the better prime but Jordan has had some impressive longevity. Eric started to fall around 34 but Jordan still seems to be going strong

Eh... is he, though?

I know raw production isn't EVERYTHING but uh... 10 points.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Crazy how in shape the team looks compared to even 10-15 years ago
If you don't have a six pack Sid makes you run on sand dunes until you do

Eh... is he, though?

I know raw production isn't EVERYTHING but uh... 10 points.
60% xgoals 5v5, 59% actual goals 5v5. 63% CF

Jordan's never been about the production so much as the fact that he's a defensive monster and what little offense that does happen while he's on the ice tends to happen in his line's favor. He sure as shit doesn't get scored on much.

And he's been putting up those kinds of defensive numbers pretty much his entire career.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I just hope, as I do every game against Carolina, that Sullivan has finally found a way to get Malkin line away from the Staal matchup, which heavily favors Carolina… but he never does lol

Reactions: Gurglesons

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I guess. I'd want a bit more for 6M over the course of eternity but Canes fans seem happy so whatever.
But why though? Having a possession monster who doesn't give up goals is quite valuable.

He's like a budget Patrice Bergeron. I think a lot of teams would love to have that, even at 6 million.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I always like Weegar and man I would love him on the Pens as a RD. But Pens not in the cards.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
But why though? Having a possession monster who doesn't give up goals is quite valuable.

He's like a budget Patrice Bergeron. I think a lot of teams would love to have that, even at 6 million.

Ahhhh the love affair never really ended for Penguins fans, did it?

There are a ton of ways to win. Like I've always said. Jordan Staal brand of hockey is one, I suppose. Though the Carolina Hurricanes are still waiting to find out.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Ahhhh the love affair never really ended for Penguins fans, did it?

There are a ton of ways to win. Like I've always said. Jordan Staal brand of hockey is one, I suppose. Though the Carolina Hurricanes are still waiting to find out.
It's not about a love affair it's about recognizing his value.

As for whether they've won or not well, Connor McDavid hasn't won anything yet either. Don't think anyone would dispute his value.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's not about a love affair it's about recognizing his value.

As for whether they've won or not well, Connor McDavid hasn't won anything yet either. Don't think anyone would dispute his value.

It's also about recognizing return of investment of lack thereof. 60 million dollars is a lot of money for consolation prizes and fancy stats. That's just a fact.

I never much cared for the guy and sure didn't find any entertainment in watching him play. And I guess I don't see much need to stick up for him after he told the Penguins to sit and spin so meh. I'll choose to be petty haha

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It's also about recognizing return of investment of lack thereof. 60 million dollars is a lot of money for consolation prizes and fancy stats. That's just a fact.

I never much cared for the guy and sure didn't find any entertainment in watching him play. And I guess I don't see much need to stick up for him after he told the Penguins to sit and spin so meh. I'll choose to be petty haha
I mean, do you think the money that the Pens have paid Crosby and Malkin the past five years has been a waste? They haven't won shit in that time. I don't really get this argument lol.

As I know you know it's possible to be a good player on a bad team, which for a while Staal was. Now he's a good player on a good team.

That said I do appreciate you wanting to be petty. That's what sports is all about. Not saying that sarcastically either. I love it.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I... would absolutely hesitate to compare Sid Crosby and Evgeni Malkin in ANY way to Jordan flippin' Staal. But I get what you mean I guess. I'm just glad I don't have to hear about what a monster Staalkin is gonna be for real this time guys every week, now.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I... would absolutely hesitate to compare Sid Crosby and Evgeni Malkin in ANY way to Jordan flippin' Staal. But I get what you mean I guess. I'm just glad I don't have to hear about what a monster Staalkin is gonna be for real this time guys every week, now.

I wish we had run the two headed monster more while Staal was here. Especially when we had shit for wings. I remember games with those two together during Sid’s run in 2010 where it was utterly comical the damage they’d do.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I wish we had run the two headed monster more while Staal was here. Especially when we had shit for wings. I remember games with those two together during Sid’s run in 2010 where it was utterly comical the damage they’d do.

Putting both on the same line for spells has been criminally underused for their whole career IMO.

The worst part are fans saying stuff like "well they don't play well together, anyway."

lol sure.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I feel like Staal has been a good 2C his entire career. The problem is that he was being paid closer to a 1C at the beginning of the deal and now that the cap has gone up, his production has started to slip some, and he's closer to a 3C. Still a fine player, though.

Looking over his stats, I found it strange that he's only been in the top 5 in the Selke voting once when he finished 3rd...in '09-'10. It's mostly a reputation award, but finishing 3rd early in his career, famous last name, somewhat consistently finishing top 15 year after year, and being legitimately good defensively, I figured he'd be near the top more of the voting more often. Maybe not winning it with guys like Bergeron, Toews, Kopitar, etc. around most of that time, but he's only been top 10 on 3 other occassions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad