GDT: Game #31 | Florida Panthers @ Detroit Red Wings | 7:00 PM EST | FS-D+ ‎ ‎

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Going to the game tonight. I think it will be a lot tighter game then Wings fans are thinking. We have already beat some solid teams this year.
Plus Timmy T is making his fourth career start in Detroit (from Flint), so you know he will be jacked. I thinking he posts a shutout, 3-0 Panthers.

And when we win tonight, I'm bringing three plastic rats with me to throw on the ice after the game. Would like it if one hits Weiss.:laugh: Hopefully this doesn't get me in any serious trouble :laugh:

Let the rivalry begin!!!

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Why goalies should almost never start back-to-back games

Goalies playing for the second consecutive game had an average save percentage of .892, versus .912 if they had at least one day off.

To put that 0.020 difference in perspective: Tim Thomas' career save percentage is .921; Michael Leighton's is .901. This difference is enormous, and would basically mean that no goalie should ever start back-to-back games.

With the larger sample size, we can say with reasonable confidence that a rested goalie stops about 1 percent more shots than a tired goalie, even when both of them are playing in front of a team that played on the previous day. It's not quite the difference between Thomas and Leighton, but it is still quite significant -- the difference between Lundqvist and Theodore or between Price and Garon.

I went and took a quick look at this year’s data and the same trend is evident. Goalies playing the second half of a B2B who were rested the night before have a .922 save percentage so far this year; those who didn’t play the previous night have a save percentage of .916.

It sure seems like it’s a no brainer to start both of your goalies in back to back games. A six to ten point difference in save percentage is actually a pretty large thing, particularly when you take into account that teams playing back to back games are more likely to be fatigued and give up more shots. Imagine a team that takes and allows 28 shots per game. Imagine further that this team scores on 8.5% of its shots and allows goals on 8.5% of its shots, a .915 save percentage. They score 2.38 goals per game and allow 2.38 goals per game. This is a pretty average team that I’m describing, one that will put up 92 points or so.

If you change things so that this team has a .905 save percentage – basically apply a second half of a B2B penalty – the team will go from allowing 2.38 goals per game to allowing 2.66 goals per game. They go from being an even goal difference team to one that goes about -23 over the course of 82 games. That will turn a 92 point team into an 84 point team or so. It’s a mammoth change.

http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=6472

babs apparently doesn't have much faith in howie.

Mount Royal

Achtung, baby
May 11, 2010
Montreal

This is a good argument, but we also have to keep in mind Gus only faced 11 shots yesterday. Naturally, being a goalie is also tough mentally and having to scramble around with all that equipment - even if it's a scrum where no shot is taken - is tiring.

But having 11 shots against is pretty telling of how the game went yesterday. I want Howard to get the opportunity to bounce back, but starting Gus is a good move here. If Jersey had more SOG yesterday, we'd probably see Howie tonight.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I'm glad Howard isn't getting the Cleary treatment. If you play like crap, you should sit. Especially when Gustavsson has been that much better than him.

If Gus plays great tonight again, I have no clue what they'll do for the next game.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
5-2 wings
-weiss gets 1 goal and 1 assist
-smith gets a goal
-nyquist gets a goal
-alffie gets a goal
-abdelkader gets a goal
-tatar gets a 2 assists

NyquistIsMyGod*

5-2 wings
-weiss gets 1 goal and 1 assist
-smith gets a goal
-nyquist gets a goal
-alffie gets a goal
-abdelkader gets a goal
-tatar gets a 2 assists

If Weiss gets 2 points in this game, I'd post a video of myself naked in my Datsyuk jersey doing jumping jacks. That's how surprised I'd be.

tunasnacks*

5-1 Wings

Tatar (x2), Franzen, Miller, Abby, Kronwall. Nyquist with a playmaker

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Excellent. Good decision coach. Now fix the PP and get Alfie off the point.

I don't think the PP is broken - it's been pretty good this year especially that first unit when everyone is healthy.
And Alfie is great on the point, has played there for years and is probably the best forward we have seen there since Fedorov, I would like to know who should be on that point rather than Alfie.

5-1 wings - Nyquist, Kronwall, Smith, Franzen and Franzen

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I don't think the PP is broken - it's been pretty good this year especially that first unit when everyone is healthy.
And Alfie is great on the point, has played there for years and is probably the best forward we have seen there since Fedorov, I would like to know who should be on that point rather than Alfie.

5-1 wings - Nyquist, Kronwall, Smith, Franzen and Franzen

Kindl, Smith, Big E, DD (When he comes back)

I wouldn't mind Z being back there instead of Alfie once he's back though.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Kindl, Smith, Big E, DD (When he comes back)

I wouldn't mind Z being back there instead of Alfie once he's back though.

Yeah, we've needed that RH shot down low on the left side on the PP for years, we finally get a RH sniper... and toss him back on the point.

He's okay on the point, but this team could get more out of Fredo playing off the left half-wall for one timers.

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
Need to have a repeat of last night and get another W with Monster in net. Florida is pretty bad, no reason why this isn't a winnable game.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Going to the game tonight. I think it will be a lot tighter game then Wings fans are thinking. We have already beat some solid teams this year.
Plus Timmy T is making his fourth career start in Detroit (from Flint), so you know he will be jacked. I thinking he posts a shutout, 3-0 Panthers.

And when we win tonight, I'm bringing three plastic rats with me to throw on the ice after the game. Would like it if one hits Weiss.:laugh: Hopefully this doesn't get me in any serious trouble :laugh:

Let the rivalry begin!!!

oh please rivalry , but you're welcome to throw rat at Weiss

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad