GDT: Game 3: Sharks @ Stars 5:00pm NBCSCA

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Genuine question for people, do you think this season is about winning games, or development?
I have the same question for Warsofsky, as he seems to be confused on this point. He's coaching like a guy who wants to impress you on how great a coach he is by eke-ing 10 more points out of one of the worst rosters in the NHL instead of understanding that a team with practically no offensive skill should be figuring out how to build the game and confidence of the most skilled healthy player on their squad.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I don't know. At this level, even if you are a kid, you need to find a way to get yourself around mental blocks and cold streaks. A coach shouldn't expect to cater to you...

The same reason I can criticize the coaching staff for benching Guchshin is why I have to understand why they don't play Smith more.
He's 19. It's game 3. I've been one of the bigger critics and he certainly deserves his fair share of criticisms, but War's job is finding the key to unlocking his potential, and you can't do that with him stapled to the bench.

Reactions: Sandisfan

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
It's not the best start, but it's better than last year. Sharks have been close in every game they've played so far, so that's a silver lining. I would say if Smith is still struggling after like 4-5 games, I would consider Barracuda.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I have the same question for Warsofsky, as he seems to be confused on this point. He's coaching like a guy who wants to impress you on how great a coach he is by eke-ing 10 more points out of one of the worst rosters in the NHL instead of understanding that a team with practically no offensive skill should be figuring out how to build the game and confidence of the most skilled healthy player on their squad.
He's coaching like the guy he coached under last year is the problem.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Benching Smith isn't helping him in any way. If the staff thinks he doesn't deserve much ice time, send him down. He needs to be playing 17-20 minutes a game. Whether that be undeserved minutes with the Sharks, or earning them with the Barracuda. I really don't think playing him sporadically for 10 total minutes a game is doing him any favours.
Bingo. And you can’t give him 18 mins at the nhl level unless you want him to be minus 100.

He’s. Not. Ready. Yet.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Genuine question for people, do you think this season is about winning games, or development?
Yes. I think this season is about both. I don’t think players develop well on losing teams. But realistically I think it’s about being in games like this. I mean this team just worked their asses off against a team that’s supposed to be one of the favorites for the cup. The cup favorite needed a shoot out to beat this team. Apart from the third period of the STL game, this is the most competitive I’ve seen the sharks in YEARS and I’m loving it.

Beethovens 10th

du bist ein ungeduldiges Eichhörnchen!
Sep 27, 2017
Zentralfriedhof
It’s about being hard to play against. The details away from the puck that win games, and bore fans. It’s about grabbing your lunch pail and getting to WORK. Opposing teams are going to have to EARN the two points this season. They’ll do that. It’ll just be by only 2 goals a night, not 7.

Reactions: Grinner

vortexy

Jun 13, 2024
It is of course about development #1, don’t you think it would be best to put Will Smith in positions to succeed like the powerplay to help boost confidence and get more touches in the offensive zone where his skillset shines?

The coaching staff appears to value winning games more as shown they do not have Smith on PP1, gave him like 10 seconds of PP time and switched him off immediately. And then sit his ass for the final 5 minutes of the game and the whole OT.

Haha Toffoli straight up said our power play sucks

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
I think the sharks need to play to win, not just to develop guys. They are an nhl team, not a developmental team and they need to be at least somewhat of a meritocracy.

Mack is ready and the sharks are going to be better with him, possibly competitive with the bottom half of the league. And if gush finally gets a chance they might have someone there (maybe).

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
It’s about being hard to play against.
See, it's when Warsofsky says stuff like that that makes me think he's selling snake oil. The Sharks are giving a lot of effort out there, but by no means have they been hard to play against in any game this year and the only scoring they've had has been in transition from defense to offense. This team is flat out horrible in the offensive zone.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Honestly, I'm not advocating for it, but the way War is coaching I expect Smith to be sent down when Celebrini is back.
Really? I think he’ll get dropped to the third first and give him some PP time before sending him down if it happens unless Grier is worried about burning the first year on his contract. Then again Joe Thornton got 4 points in his rookie year

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
We need Mack back. That’s a clear #1C. Huge difference in a team like the sharks.

They also could use just one more dangerous forward. Can gush be it? Smith after a 10-20 game stint in the A, dominating and building confidence and defensive details?

Not that far from respectable.

Ceci and walman have revolutionized the D. Head and shoulders above last year.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
yea. Smith is not ready to be the distributor for those kind of guys.
That's not the problem, the problem is neither of them can create offense so you just take away the puck carrier and the line is worthless because Smith doesn't have a play if he's pressured. Zetterlund is a tertiary scorer and Kostin doesn't score.

vortexy

Jun 13, 2024
Oof Michkov with 2 power play goals tonight. I don’t want to compare him to Will Smith I just wish Smith was given the opportunity to play on power play 1. We have not tried it once this regular season. I’d like to give him a shot and if its obvious he can’t handle it, then so be it bump him down but can we please give him a chance?

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Really? I think he’ll get dropped to the third first and give him some PP time before sending him down if it happens unless Grier is worried about burning the first year on his contract. Then again Joe Thornton got 4 points in his rookie year
Wait. So he’ll get more PP time after Celebrini comes back? What’s he gonna get, 8 seconds now?

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
I think Zetterlund has lowkey flown under the radar with his subpar play early this season as well
Or he just came back to reality and like I was saying all last season he had a career year. That being said Timo is playing like he doesn’t have to worry about working again

Wait. So he’ll get more PP time after Celebrini comes back? What’s he gonna get, 8 seconds now?
Put him with celebrini, to try and “get him going”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad