GDT: Game 3: Sharks @ Stars 5:00pm NBCSCA

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
This season is not about "being hard to play against", lol, talk about buying the snake oil being sold, this season is literally only about prospect development and nothing more

The only current players who matter are Celebrini, Smith and Eklund, everyone else of consequence is playing at a lower level right now

Our results don't matter and it has no bearing on the future whether or not Mikael Granlund wins his minutes, the results of every game can be thrown in the trash, not only do they not matter but it is still beneficial to lose games, we are a minimum of one top-5 draft pick away from starting to improve, likely 2 top-5 picks if I'm being realistic, wins are about morale only at this point, I don't give a shit about whether or not Luke Kunin has good on ice habits when we still probably haven't even drafted our future #1 defenseman

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I knew this season would be bad, but man we are 3 games in and it's already chaos on here. We got 79 more games to go, take a deep breath.

Smith will be fine.

Biggest surprise? I know he's been serviceable so that helps but really expected more Goodrow hate like back in the day.
Hey! We’re only 2 points out of a playoff spot with a game in hand.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I have the same question for Warsofsky, as he seems to be confused on this point. He's coaching like a guy who wants to impress you on how great a coach he is by eke-ing 10 more points out of one of the worst rosters in the NHL instead of understanding that a team with practically no offensive skill should be figuring out how to build the game and confidence of the most skilled healthy player on their squad.
Whether we fans like it or not, NHL coaches are going to coach to win. Warso has the team playing hard nosed, grindy hockey, which plays to our "strengths" as in we only have a handful of mediocre skill players and a whole lot of decent grinders. Warso is putting the entire team's identity first and it's working. That doesn't mean it's the best thing for Smith (clearly not) or our continued rebuild, although I suspect we will still not win many games until our 1C is back and either we drop Smith to the AHL or he gets his feet under him with Granlund on his wing (my preference).
This is why I keep saying smith needs to move down to the 3rd then move him back up to the 2nd once he gets his game together
He was on the third line tonight, or possibly fourth, Wenny line went second most of the time and the Dell line I'm guessing had similar ice time 5v5, although I haven't checked that.
This season is not about "being hard to play against", lol, talk about buying the snake oil being sold, this season is literally only about prospect development and nothing more

The only current players who matter are Celebrini, Smith and Eklund, everyone else of consequence is playing at a lower level right now

Our results don't matter and it has no bearing on the future whether or not Mikael Granlund wins his minutes, the results of every game can be thrown in the trash, not only do they not matter but it is still beneficial to lose games, we are a minimum of one top-5 draft pick away from starting to improve, likely 2 top-5 picks if I'm being realistic, wins are about morale only at this point, I don't give a shit about whether or not Luke Kunin has good on ice habits when we still probably haven't even drafted our future #1 defenseman
I agree with you, especially about the top 5 picks. Anything could happen to Dick, Musty, Smith, Askarov, hell even Celly (lisan al gaib). But I don't think Warso is thinking this way and I think Grier is on board with them trying to "eke 10 more points out of a bad roster" as someone else put it. We will still be a bottom 5 team because we don't have much offensive threat without a true 1C and with Granny at 1C we have an enormous hole at 2C that Wennberg absolutely cannot fill and Smith certainly can't yet. I personally like watching us play frustrating, hard nosed hockey. As you said, two OT games and a very close game and we're way better than last year and still bad! What a time to be alive!!!
I knew this season would be bad, but man we are 3 games in and it's already chaos on here. We got 79 more games to go, take a deep breath.

Smith will be fine.

Biggest surprise? I know he's been serviceable so that helps but really expected more Goodrow hate like back in the day.
Agreed, everything is going to plan. The team is bad, but playing closer games. The worst thing is that Smith is not the second coming and everyone is losing their marbles. Don't worry everyone, we'll get another high pick to fret about soon! We're still only 3 games past absolute rock bottom in a rebuild that's likely to be closer to a decade than 2 years.

The Wennberg Kunin Goody line looks like a very good checking line. Only problem is, none of them can finish. But it's a very solid hockey line for its purpose.

Everyone else is missing a 1C and a 2C.

Reactions: jMoneyBrah

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Some notes/opinions:
  • I didn't like the idea of him, but I like what I've seen from Ceci. But that could be because the rest of the D group (outside of Walman) are terrible.
  • Ferraro-Rutta need to be broken up. It's been awful three games in a row now. Today they had a 28.03%.
  • Kunin's lack of pace was ridiculously noticeable in the third.
  • Gushchin needs to be back in the lineup.
  • Wennberg looked better but can't expect much with Goodrow and Kunin on his line.
  • Forward group (aside from Kunin) look to be playing with pace which is nice to see.
  • Would like to see Smith get a chance on PP1 or have Gushchin on PP2 with him.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
They are an nhl team
These Sharks are not an NHL caliber team

We do not have an NHL caliber defense

We do not have an NHL caliber bottom-6

We have about 1/3, of an NHL caliber top-6 and it is spread over 2 lines

We do have NHL caliber backup/platoon goalies but they are hung out to dry every night behind the worst defense this side of last year's team

What we have in abundance are impressive prospects, most of them are not on the roster, and only one of them is a slam dunk as belonging here (and he was immediately hurt)

This isn't a tank team like last year, but this is year one of the rebuild, we are not in a position to be competitive and we are still years away from respectability, Celebrini is going to be in his 20s before we approach being a playoff-bubble team again, this year has nothing to do with winning games and expecting us to perform like a top-16 squad in the league is only setting yourself up for frustration and disappointment

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
The sharks development staff this year has not been great.

1. Smith playing 4th line mins or riding the pine in the NHL is not good: either play him a ton despite being -100 and 0 for 2000 in the circle (touch of hyperbole), or send him down.
2. bringing up your 22 year old AHL leading scorer and NHL preaseason point leader only to plop him for 10 mins on the fourth line then bench him two game is not good.
3. Musty holding out and not playing and not working on the defensive side of the puck and the play away from the puck is not good.
4. Cherny not getting surgery earlier so he could play earlier is not good.
5. Even having Thompson, one of your top young D prospects, called up only to sit in the press box and not play is not good.

They might as well call up askarov and have him specialize in bench opening and bench pressing goals.

Im disappointed with the way the sharks have been dvelping their top prospets early in the year. I can assume injuries to mukh and celly were handled as well as possible, but I don't trust it in Celly's case. Did he aggravate something in game one that they knew about? Was playing him a stupid move?

it also feels like Grier and War are not on the same page.

P.s>: 5M per year (10M total) for wennberg!? What a moronic move by grier. Almost the same money as toffoli AAV. We could actually be a fun team with 1 or 2 more toffoli's and a healthy celebrini.

Oh yeah, the goal isnt winning according to many here. Guess that explains spending $15-20M per year on bottom feeders. Grier has done a nice job drafting and a nice job trading. But aside from toffoli (which I supported form the start), his UFA signings are unfathomably poopy.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I could literally feel War standing behind him, mouthing the exact words like they rehearsed.

1729050615587.png

This is quite accurate to what I saw with my eyes.

drunksage

Sphere = underrated?
Jan 13, 2007
30-ish min from Sphere
SNOG announcement

First SNOG of the year is a solo effort thanks to the goalscorers tiebreaker.

SNOG 3-2 Stars

Smith, Kunin

Stankhoven, Robertson, Hintz

Congrats @weastern bias on getting us off the early schneid!

SNOG 2015-03-12.jpg

#
Date / Opponent
SNOG Winner(s)
Result
1Oct. 10 vs BluesnoneBlues 5-4 OT
2Oct. 12 vs DucksnoneDucks 2-0
3Oct. 15 at Starsweastern biasStars 3-2 SO

Rank
2024-25 SNOG standings
# of SNOGs
1.weastern bias1

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
SNOG announcement

First SNOG of the year is a solo effort thanks to the goalscorers tiebreaker.

Congrats @weastern bias on getting us off the early schneid!

View attachment 917230

#
Date / Opponent
SNOG Winner(s)
Result
1Oct. 10 vs BluesnoneBlues 5-4 OT
2Oct. 12 vs DucksnoneDucks 2-0
3Oct. 15 at Starsweastern biasStars 3-2 SO

Rank
2024-25 SNOG standings
# of SNOGs
1.weastern bias1
Well first of all I'd like to thank the Academy. . .

*soft, dadly chuckle*

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
He was the last coach hired. They had all the time in the world to get on the same page before making the hiring official. If this is the case (and that’s a big if) then that’s on Grier.
Well, its weird to bench your 19 year old top prospect. Its weird to bench your top preseason scorer and top AHL scorer. Its weird to not have known Musty would be sitting out. It's just a lot of weird.

• Wow
Reactions: Chinaski89

ThePlanet

Aug 13, 2008
San Jose
Late to the party, but...

At the start of the second period, Randy Hahn tries to describe Ty Dellandrea's goal scorer prowess during his Junior years in Flint Michigan. He then casually adds, "Must have been the water." This is one of the most tasteless remarks I've ever heard in hockey broadcasting.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Late to the party, but...

At the start of the second period, Randy Hahn tries to describe Ty Dellandrea's goal scorer prowess during his Junior years in Flint Michigan. He then casually adds, "Must have been the water." This is one of the most tasteless remarks I've ever heard in hockey broadcasting.
Holy f***

Now, to be fair to Randy, he was probably drunk

But holy f***

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Well, its weird to bench your 19 year old top prospect. Its weird to bench your top preseason scorer and top AHL scorer. Its weird to not have known Musty would be sitting out. It's just a lot of weird.
Musty wasn't a surprise. The usage of Smith and to a lesser extent Goose (I wouldn't be that dismayed if Celebrini were playing, but he's not and we need offense so it's weird) is peculiar at best.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I don't know what you wanted the Sharks to do about Musty exactly. He isn't ready for the NHL and he can't play in the AHL...

I don't like what they've done with Gushchin so far. He should have been back in the lineup for the Stars game, but we don't know what discussions have been had with him.

As for Smith, I don't expect the 10 minutes to be an ongoing thing. The reality is that his line was getting monstered and both him and Kostin got similar minutes. I would like to see him get more opportunity with skill around him (he should have been on the ice for the 5-on-3 imo). Personally, I'd have looked at shifting Wennberg to 2C, Smith to 3C with Gushchin on his wing. But I can see why an NHL coach may not want to run those two together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad