GDT: Game 22: Montreal Canadiens vs Columbus Blue Jackets 11/29/23 7:00pm EST SN, RDS, TSN 690

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
To me it’s not just about height but weight and physicality.

This whole notion that physical players mean a compromise in other key attributes (skating, IQ) is not an absolute. There are players that can be effective middle sixers, bottom liners and in some drafts, even have top 6 ceiling who will help optimize a team’s asset mix (we passed on Tkachuk).

The Kings have done it, so have the Panthers, and if I’m not mistaken the Jets and CBJ are doing it as well. If you don’t draft these guys you’re also not likely to ever achieve that more balanced profile.

And if Gorton has any say into this team’s roster-building blueprint, physicality and size+ weight are not things he prioritized as NYR’s GM.

It was something they prioritized in the Slafkovsky selection; it was part of why they targeted Dach.. it was part of their desire to get Florian in the draft and 'over-drafted' him.

I don't think there's any indication from the new staff that size or snarl isn't something they don't have time for.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Wouldn't it be a nice message is Marty sat Anderson instead of Pezz? Not saying Pezz did anything exceptional, but something needs to be done to jolt the Donkey. Everything on ice has been tried. Time to explore some off-ice options.

Reactions: Pomee and Habs13

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It was something they prioritized in the Slafkovsky selection; it was part of why they targeted Dach.. it was part of their desire to get Florian in the draft and 'over-drafted' him.

I don't think there's any indication from the new staff that size or snarl isn't something they don't have time for.
Slaf was never a physical player and until recent games, he was and might even only be a finesse player who happens to be a physical specimen. Size does not always equate physicality.

Dach is more physical than Slaf but has been unable to stay healthy, even if his injuries were due to freak accidents. Hopefully he resumes where he left off but that’s just one guy and you wouldn’t want him to carry the load given the key position he is expected to fill.

Florian is raw and is not a common profile. I can think of Tuch as another potential candidate (inherited from prior management). We seem to have more physical types on the back end. We’d need more forwards in that vein and just like for other types of profiles, you have to draft several since they all won’t develop into NHLers.

I don’t see where new management has placed any partular emphasis on this from the way they’ve drafted or traded so far. The Rocket suffer from the same limitations as the Habs. Maybe new management could start by planting more seeds there.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Slaf was never a physical player and until recent games, he was and might even only be a finesse player who happens to be a physical specimen. Size does not always equate physicality.

Dach is more physical than Slaf but has been unable to stay healthy, even if his injuries were due to freak accidents. Hopefully he resumes where he left off but that’s just one guy and you wouldn’t want him to carry the load given the key position he is expected to fill.

Florian is raw and is not a common profile. I can think of Tuch as another potential candidate (inherited from prior management). We seem to have more physical types on the back end. We’d need more forwards in that vein and just like for other types of profiles, you have to draft several since they all won’t develop into NHLers.

I don’t see where new management has placed any partular emphasis on this from the way they’ve drafted or traded so far. The Rocket suffer from the same limitations as the Habs. Maybe new management could start by planting more seeds there.
I miss Benny, Eddy and Websy.

Reactions: Runner77

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Well they can't fix everything in two drafts or two years either.. but they've certainly targeted certain guys with size, and others with nastiness.

I can see a pretty clear desire from the front office to build a full on team.. which is why they targeted Reinbacher, why Beck was a selection in R2.. why they went after Florian.. why they think highly of Arber.. why they steered away from Michkov.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well they can't fix everything in two drafts or two years either.. but they've certainly targeted certain guys with size, and others with nastiness.

I can see a pretty clear desire from the front office to build a full on team.. which is why they targeted Reinbacher, why Beck was a selection in R2.. why they went after Florian.. why they think highly of Arber.. why they steered away from Michkov.
The full on team you’re seeing is based on speed and IQ. I don’t believe they’ve addressed the physicality element to such an extent as to optimize their asset mix. Gorton paid dearly for his lack of attention to it in New York. I just hope he’s learned from that.

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
1701287881255.jpeg

Lads if I want to hear this.

1701287995559.jpeg

I'll go watch this.

Capiche?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Today I miss Bobby Smith, Skrudland, Mcphee, Green, Chelios, Ludwig and Lalor.
Absolutely
Don't forget Claude Lemieux, Stephane Richer, Chris Nilan, John Kordic all on the 86 team as well.

Today I miss Bobby Smith, Skrudland, Mcphee, Green, Chelios, Ludwig and Lalor.
Absolutely
Don't forget Claude Lemieux, Stephane Richer, Chris Nilan, John Kordic all on the 86 team as well
Saw Napoleon last night. Now I have to sit through MORE cannons? Although Vanessa Kirby is always nice to watch.

Habs W tonight. Then we get stomped by Cats tomorrow night, it's our MO.
Poor Primeau. Hey kid we are playing you on home ice...NJD, Vegas and Florida.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
They really need to get this goalie situation sorted out. Monty and Primeau need to play more. Edmonton has now started winning, so I hope we didn’t miss the boat on a possible deal there.

Edmonton will always be looking for goaltending and defense if they can make it happen, winning streak or not.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Wouldn't it be a nice message is Marty sat Anderson instead of Pezz? Not saying Pezz did anything exceptional, but something needs to be done to jolt the Donkey. Everything on ice has been tried. Time to explore some off-ice options.
He has made every teammate at every position worse by being on the ice with them, it’s really not just his own S%. Everyone should get his ice gime.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Yup much of the issue is inherited. The predecessors had no clue how to draft a good balance of talent/size/heart.
Finding these gems is hard enough to begin with but identifyng the potential in sleepers is the key. I can't say we've been very good at that.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Skill is the most important thing. Benson would've been on track to be our best forward. You trade away other small players to keep him.
Elite talent can’t be passed upon but you subsequently need to do trades involving your redundant assets, as you rightly point out.

Reactions: Rapala

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Edmonton will always be looking for goaltending and defense if they can make it happen, winning streak or not.
They can look all they like but are they willing to pay up what it takes?

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Elite talent can’t be passed upon but you subsequently need to do trades involving your redundant assets, as you rightly point out.
We won't know how it shakes out but the decisions the made in the last two drafts can prove to be a dis-as-ter -- passing on elite-tier talent because our existing flawed roster has some small players on it... might as well drink poison. I tried initiating a discussion about this in the Tank thread but it didn't get too far.

Reactions: Runner77

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Skill is the most important thing. Benson would've been on track to be our best forward. You trade away other small players to keep him.
He might end up as good as Suzuki, Cauield and Dach but he won't be better. And he is another small player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad