GDT: Game 20 : Isles at Leafs Monday Nov 21: 7:30 PM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Everyone who knows what is being said to Robertson, what Robertson is saying back, what they are working on, and knows what the Leafs and Robertson are thinking at the moment please raise your hands.

The rest... you are pretty much just making things up and verbalising your take on it... not the Leafs take, nor Robertson's.

It's those damn tin foil hats that are causing all this fuss!

Reactions: Fogelhund

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The only reason why 62 is in our lineup other than parts of 3 games he’s played ok , is to justify the horrible trade for Marchment (which by the way is Ok yo make bad trades , everyone does ) but it’s egregious that he’s playing instead of NR and or 2-3 in our system

Sorry, Malgin-ZAR-Kampf have been quite effective on the 4th line. At this point, that's just not a line you breakup.

Roberston shouldn't be on that 4th line... so Malgin being in the lineup, is completely irrelevant to Roberton playing, or not. I'm not sure what you are watching really, but outside of scoring, and a couple of good defensive plays in ONE game, Robertson just hasn't been NHL level yet. There is a lot of promise there, but he's not that guy.

Is this perhaps just the forums latest reason to freak out, over pretty much nothing? Trying to fix what isn't broken?

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Sorry, Malgin-ZAR-Kampf have been quite effective on the 4th line. At this point, that's just not a line you breakup.

Roberston shouldn't be on that 4th line... so Malgin being in the lineup, is completely irrelevant to Roberton playing, or not. I'm not sure what you are watching really, but outside of scoring, and a couple of good defensive plays in ONE game, Robertson just hasn't been NHL level yet. There is a lot of promise there, but he's not that guy.

Is this perhaps just the forums latest reason to freak out, over pretty much nothing? Trying to fix what isn't broken?

Ya the tough part is that Holmberg plays C. Kerfoot didn't look too good there, neither did Engvall. That means Robertson needs to steal a spot from Jarnkrok, Engvall, Bunts or Kerfy. Tough.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
This is what happens when you bring in a brittle goalie, load management.

But it makes sense now that it's the hand Keefe has been dealt. With Samsonov still not ready another injury to Murray would mean another run as the #1 for Kallgren. Nobody wants that. May as well play it safe.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
The only reason why 62 is in our lineup other than parts of 3 games he’s played ok , is to justify the horrible trade for Marchment (which by the way is Ok yo make bad trades , everyone does ) but it’s egregious that he’s playing instead of NR and or 2-3 in our system

Not sure if you're serious.

Are you saying that Dubas let Malgin go for 2 years, and now he's telling Keefe to play him because of Marchment?

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Engvall has already been scratched this year.

It doesn't take a conspiracy to see why the coach prefers the older more well rounded player over Robertson.

I like how you conveniently left out the fact that I said Robertson has been meh. But Engvall is completely awful and doesn’t deserve a spot in the lineup. And he was sat 1 game lol

Reactions: BayStBullies

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Malgin has earned himself a long leash due to his consistently good play/effort. Something that no other fringe starting forward has accomplished this season, including Robby. I am all for Robby playing, but not in place of Malgin. It would be in place of Engvall, who shockingly seems to have enough runway to land a Airbus.

That all said, I mentioned it earlier and I'll mention it again. We have 6 games in 10 days. Robby is more then likely going to check into a game or 2. It's going to be up to him to do something more to stick. This is the NHL. If you want consistent minutes, become more consistent with your play. That simple.

I love Robby just as much as the next person, but to blindly say he's earned his spot based on his play thus far just because he is young and exciting is just wrong. He loses his assignment so much in his own end, and it's why he's in the press box right now. Play more responsibly and you will play more frequently. He's young, and he will eventually get it. I am fairly confident of that. Unfortunately this is just the process a lot of young players have to go through

Reactions: Gallagbi

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Not that this is the be all stat or anything, but given the present discussion, it’s interesting to note Engvall is the forward team leader in expected +- Robertson is near the bottom
1669067173689.png

And an interesting D stat.

Here are the 5v5 on ice rebound shots against/60 for the Leafs D:

Sandin 4.22
Holl 3.94
Liljegren 3.90
Muzzin 3.41
Kral 3.32
Brodie 2.94
Mete 2.91
Rielly 2.67
Giordano 2.50
Benn 1.93

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
This is what happens when you bring in a brittle goalie, load management.

But it makes sense now that it's the hand Keefe has been dealt. With Samsonov still not ready another injury to Murray would mean another run as the #1 for Kallgren. Nobody wants that. May as well play it safe.

Kallgren is also rocking an ESSV% of 0.931 - he's been absolutely fine for a 3rd or 4th stringer.

Reactions: willmma

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
it’s interesting to note Engvall is the forward team leader in expected +- Robertson is near the bottom
Although Nick being at the bottom of that list does not surprise me at all, I am very surprised to see Pierre's name leading in this category TBH.

I guess I am just looking for a bit more then just neutral minutes out of Pierre. I know this metric would indicate he is ahead of the pack when it comes to his +/-, but there is just something so blah about his game right now. We have seen so much better from him. This really just feels like an outlier metric that doesn't match up to the eye test for me.

I know there are some players that can do no good in anyones mind, and Pierre has always kind of been that guy for me. I just hate how much potential he has and how little it seems to manifest into reality (to me at least). Maybe I'll pay more attention to his play away from the puck tonight, becasue that is the only way this metric will make sense to me lol

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Not that this is the be all stat or anything, but given the present discussion, it’s interesting to note Engvall is the forward team leader in expected +- Robertson is near the bottom View attachment 610830

Sandin 4.22
Holl 3.94
Liljegren 3.90
Muzzin 3.41
Kral 3.32
Brodie 2.94
Mete 2.91
Rielly 2.67
Giordano 2.50
Benn 1.93
If this stat means rebound given up then Sandin and Holl being at the top doesn’t surprise me. Benin’s sample size is small but if he’s being physical and pushing players out of the crease then there will be less rebounds.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Keefe is starting Kallgren? So he's choosing to lose tonight
Take a look at some of these rather subpar stats on Kallgren as per Hockey-Reference.com:

RkPlayerAgeGPGSWLT/OGASASVSV%GAASOMINQSQS%RBSGA%-GSAAadjGAAGPS
1Ilya Samsonov258862017214197.9212.2304577.8750843.32.231.5
2Matt Murray284421111127116.9132.7602393.7501911.02.760.8
3Erik Kallgren268722321196175.8932.8604402.2862113-2.4
Note the Quality Starts% of .286 (anything less than .5 is bad so he's really really bad) and the Really Bad Starts RBS-2 (starts with a SV% less than .85). Yeah, I'd say he's choosing to lose.

Murray has not played alot and is playing really well, it's not a back to back, why can't he start. If he's going to get injured, it's going to happen if he plays every third or fifth or tenth game. We're ok right now but the conference is tight. We need points. Don't gamble on Kallgren unless Murray said he needs the night to recuperate.

Reactions: BayStBullies

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Although Nick being at the bottom of that list does not surprise me at all, I am very surprised to see Pierre's name leading in this category TBH.

I guess I am just looking for a bit more then just neutral minutes out of Pierre. I know this metric would indicate he is ahead of the pack when it comes to his +/-, but there is just something so blah about his game right now. We have seen so much better from him. This really just feels like an outlier metric that doesn't match up to the eye test for me.

I know there are some players that can do no good in anyones mind, and Pierre has always kind of been that guy for me. I just hate how much potential he has and how little it seems to manifest into reality (to me at least). Maybe I'll pay more attention to his play away from the puck tonight, becasue that is the only way this metric will make sense to me lol

I was surprised too, as Engvall's play has been pretty meh in my opinion so far this year. He is decent defensively, and away from the puck. Of course with his size, we all wish for more physicality, and it's seemed that he hasn't been very good with the puck this year.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The reason Malgin is in the lineup is because he's playing great. I don't even understand how anyone could think that Malgin has been so bad that only a conspiracy theory would justify his spot in the lineup. It crosses the line into delusional

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I would bench Engvall, who has shown nothing of value. I would then drop Kerfoot to the 3rd line and put Robertson in on the 2nd.

Engvall and Kerfoot are definitely the outliers in that lineup. Neither can finish. Like, at all so their positions in the lineup make no sense. I don't think I can remember two players that did so much, so well that amounts to absolutely nothing almost every time. Very perplexing. I won't miss either one when they're gone and will wish them well.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Def needed Wayne Simmonds in this game. The islanders play to hurt the leafs in every game. They could care less if they lose

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
But what about the Marchment trade?
Not that this is the be all stat or anything, but given the present discussion, it’s interesting to note Engvall is the forward team leader in expected +- Robertson is near the bottom View attachment 610830

Sandin 4.22
Holl 3.94
Liljegren 3.90
Muzzin 3.41
Kral 3.32
Brodie 2.94
Mete 2.91
Rielly 2.67
Giordano 2.50
Benn 1.93