Post-Game Talk: Game #2 Pens vs Wings: Much better game

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's not really the fact that Jarry, the "starter" for this team, is making a bit under $5.5M AAV. It's that he sucks, he's volatile as hell, he routinely craters in the final 3-4 months of the season, he has injury issues, and he's an unlikable whiner.

Paying your starter what the Pens are paying Jarry is fine. Jarry's just a mess. /shrug

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
You do. You have to pay. Ya goalies are Vodoo sure whatever but you still pay them especially the good ones. Fleury was bad for a bunch of years sure but he was exactly what they needed for the cups when they needed him. He was highly paid during that time too.

Not all teams are Vegas, Chicago and Colorado. Tampa, and the Kings, Florida go nowhere without there goalies.

Eh... 5-6M for a starter is about right IMO. It's just a difference in team building opinions though I tend to think results are MOSTLY on my side over the last 20ish years. It's just not really a goaltending league anymore IMO. But I'm not hardline enough about it that if say Mush turned out to be the next Vasi I would be upset if the Penguins paid him his 8M or whatever.

I just can't help but cringe a little bit when I think about a goaltender making like 8-11M and possibly (probably?) getting mixed results when you could pay a franchise forward that and get more or less consistent results for many years barring major injury. Paying out for goaltending puts a cramp on your cap situation but with that evidently going up a bunch soon... perhaps a bit less relevant of an argument.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Wish they would have kept Math
If they kept Matheson, they likely don't make the Karlsson trade. Imagine having Matheson on the 2nd pairing but then adding an additional $5+mil somewhere else. It would have put a high-quality wing (or center) in the conversation either of the past two seasons. Shame.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If they kept Matheson, they likely don't make the Karlsson trade. Imagine having Matheson on the 2nd pairing but then adding an additional $5+mil somewhere else. It would have put a high-quality wing (or center) in the conversation either of the past two seasons. Shame.

That was largely my thought process as well, yeah.

Dunno if the team would have done that, though. They'd probably find yet another middle six wing to overpay with that money for way-too-many years.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I hung in with Jarry for as long as I could and longer than a lot of people. He is what he is at this point, and it is not someone you can rely on and not someone the team in front of him seems to believe in. I wish we could dump him but I fear we are stuck with him since every other team gets to see him play.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah, as good as Yzerman's time with the Bolts was (and how much of it was up to scouts/drafting/development?), this Wings tenure has been El Stinko Grande.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Eh... 5-6M for a starter is about right IMO. It's just a difference in team building opinions though I tend to think results are MOSTLY on my side over the last 20ish years. It's just not really a goaltending league anymore IMO. But I'm not hardline enough about it that if say Mush turned out to be the next Vasi I would be upset if the Penguins paid him his 8M or whatever.

I just can't help but cringe a little bit when I think about a goaltender making like 8-11M and possibly (probably?) getting mixed results when you could pay a franchise forward that and get more or less consistent results for many years barring major injury. Paying out for goaltending puts a cramp on your cap situation but with that evidently going up a bunch soon... perhaps a bit less relevant of an argument.
My issue isn't allocating that much cap space to a starting goalie, it's allocating that much to a starting goalie who has never proven he can come up big when it matters.

Why this club thought extending them for as long as they did still boggles my mind. Because not only did they give a decently high cap hit to a choke artist, they also doubled down by giving him term, too.

"Hey Tristan, not only are we signing you to suck for our club, we're signing you to suck for half a decade!"

That signing is the second worst decision this club has made in the past handful of years. The first being the obvious keeping deputy dipshit behind the bench.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I expect him to make 5 saves without a goal to start a game. He’s paid 5.75 million.

Making a difficult save isn’t impossible. If goalies got scored on no matter what, the league would be very different.
It's 5.375 and that's top cap for a goaltender of like a decade or more ago.

Fleury got 5.750 in 2015/16. These days they are getting 7.0 and more... lots more. He's paid to be average. Though I'd like for him to make those first 5 saves, this team is not the kind to not let up bad chances defensively on a regular basis.

And to top it off, he didn't let up a soft goal in the opening period vs. the NYR's. So the initial 1st goal was a tip in nothing he can do with both Letang and Carrick cutting in front of him. The only goal anyone can even remotely gasp at is #2 and I think Lafs did a heck of a curl and drag around a sliding Petts.

Expectations might be a little too grand considering the team he plays for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad