Post-Game Talk: Game #2 Pens vs Wings: Much better game

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Also are people mad about this game or something? What am I missing? For HF standards this place seems downright jubilant.

HF Pens after a win:

1728664897908.gif

HF Pens after a loss:

1728664998257.gif

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Tale of two game.

The Rangers are really good and we sucked. Jarry in net and the line combos weren't hitting. 6-0 thrashing

The Red Wings are a playoff bubble team like us. We fixed some line issues and Blomqvist was in net. 6-3.

It's tough to know who the real Penguins are at the moment. I thought nearly EVERYONE looked better last night but were they actually or was it that Detroit isn't as good?

Saturday's game against the Leafs will be interesting.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Blomgvist kept them in it until they got their game going. Jarry in net and that game is over after the first 10 minutes.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The last 5 games, he won though he gave up 5 goals (OT vs. Detroit 6-5), was pulled vs. Boston after giving up 3 on 16 shots, and was only above .900 once and he had 2 wins out of 5. Losing the final game 5-4 April 17 which also matches his previous loss to the Isanders Feb. 20th also 5-4.

Ned was historically just as bad though having a winning record. Of his 38 games played he gave up 3 or more goals 21 times.
None of that refutes what I said.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I do think Malkin will be underrated historically when it's all said and done. But I think suggesting that he was on the a similar level to Joe Sakic is very fair for him.

The Pens intermission gang talked about something that I think is valid here - while they didn't name Jarry specifically, they talked about how deflating a soft goal can be for the bench. You battle, you make the saves, the team is doing well...and then a soft one is let in and the team deflates. They were indicating that Blomqvist was NOT doing that which I think is very fair. I don't remember Neds letting too many soft goals that just deflated the team.

Unfortunately, Jarry has played himself into an area that will be VERY difficult to get out of. I posted about this a couple days ago. It doesn't matter if the game is 1-1 and you're posting a .975 sv%, if you let in the soft goal late in the third and the team losing 2-1, no one gives a shit about the awesome stats. If you're battling in a 6-6 game and running a 0.825 sv% but you make the key save late in the third and the team wins 7-6, no one gives a shit about the crappy stats. We are sooooooooooooooooo f***ing far past stat watching with Jarry that it's near meaningless. Jarry needs to give this team the opportunity to win EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. And going back well into last year, I would say he has NOT done that with any level of consistency that should be expected out of a "starting goalie" making $5.25mil. Neds, however, did, which is why he was the starter down the stretch. Blomqvist did last night.

In every game, we know the goals that are the goalie's fault and which are not. I didn't blame Blomqvist for the rocket Tarasanko sent over his shoulder, and I wouldn't have blamed Jarry either. Sometimes, high-quality forwards just fire lasers into the net. It's part of the game. On the 5 on 3, Blomqvist battled HARD and made several saves before succumbing. It's not his fault, and I wouldn't have faulted Jarry either; however, I have SEVERE doubts as to whether or not Jarry would have survived the same amount of time Blomqvist just did.

The fact of the matter is, every game, any given team will put 30+ shots on our goalie. When it comes down to it, that means 30+ different times where the forwards and defense failed to control the puck and defend. But that's part of the game. That is going to happen. The argument of "well, it's not Jarry's fault because the team in front of him allowed the other team to shoot the puck" is absolute hogwash. The goalie's job is to stop the puck. Period. Shots from the other team will happen 30+ times a game. They need to stop them in order for the team to win. Nickel and diming the defense is a weak argument to cover for poor goalie performance.
All fair, but not every team is the same and some are just the Pens Kryptonite.

People say the team doesn't trust Jarry, but how can Jarry trust such a bad defensive team in front of him? The game against the NYR's was game #1 and having that trust worthy thought then is ludacris. Especially when blaming the goalie for things out of his control. Those are not Jarry faults, that's a team as a whole issue.

I mean, what goalie is going to come in and trust this defensively challenged team?

The thing is "TRUST" works both ways. Who fails who more?

If you answer the the goalie you wouldn't be just wrong, you'd handedly be wrong.

Behind every great goalie there's a good team surrounding him in front. I think we can all agree this teams flawed and it really shows against the much better teams in the league.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Or the team just plays horribly bad defensively for 3 periods and leaves him out to dry too much all while never scoring a single goal.

It's like you all ignore the games play to just dump on Jarry.

1. His first given up was tipped in front. Nobody was stopping that.
2. He was stuck between because Petts goes down of a possible pass and great keep and shot from Alex.
3. How many saves is he supposed to make? He made 4 out of 5 in 19 seconds. Kreider left alone in front.

You can't make this stuff up, but it's all Jarry's fault.

I expect him to make 5 saves without a goal to start a game. He’s paid 5.75 million.

Making a difficult save isn’t impossible. If goalies got scored on no matter what, the league would be very different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad