GDT: Game 2: Islanders @ Hurricanes, 7pm

StorminSnvechnAho

There is a storm coming prepare for the Surge
Feb 15, 2021
NC
there is nothing left. Poolparty is the only healthy scratch forward we have.

call up the depth up front: Rees, Suzuki, Ponomarev, hell even call up Gunler, Tieksola, Koivunen, or even Dzingle.
We need scoring I would call up Ponomarev although Dzingle is the only one with real NHL games and scoring it was a long time ago.

Reactions: Tryamw

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I hate that for TT but we have to prevail forward. Next man up. Just hope everyone else stays healthy.

If it was the other way around ESPN wouldn't be commenting on us getting "screwed by the refs", that network is still bitter about the Whalers.
PK Subban was defending the Canes and the non-call on ESPN intermission report. He's actually a great media personality

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
As far as the full timetable for Turbo, you never know with the playoffs. A guy like Kadri last playoffs really didn't seem like he'd be able to come back with his finger surgery, but he did. He was limited, but he was able to play. We'll see what it is and how it plays out I guess.

Granted, and I don't mean this as any type of shade towards Turbo because everyone is different, but he strikes me as more of one of those players that need to feel closer to 100% to come back sometimes and be effective.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I don’t care what people think. But the loss of TT sucks. He still put up 37 points in an injured season. He contributes definitively. He’s been insane on the PK this year. Only 8 goals scored against, while contributing to 4 short handed goals. His +\- on the PK is -4, that’s an impressive stat.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I don’t care what people think. But the loss of TT sucks. He still put up 37 points in an injured season. He contributes definitively. He’s been insane on the PK this year. Only 8 goals scored against, while contributing to 4 short handed goals. His +\- on the PK is -4, that’s an impressive stat.
yeah it's a huge loss, there is no downplaying it. But I think we can overcome it. At least for the remainder of this round. Rags/Devils will be extremely tough missing Patches, Svech AND Turbo.

StorminSnvechnAho

There is a storm coming prepare for the Surge
Feb 15, 2021
NC
Probably just numb to it seeing as how awful our luck has been with our top six... No MaxPac No Svechnikov No Turbo, I'm not gonna lie I think we end up beating the Islanders, I have little hope after that.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Stromwall deserves as much of a look as anyone. Didn't have to come over to NA but did anyway and was a top forward on a very mediocre AHL squad.

And his name is basically almost Stormwall for a team named Hurricanes.

Call him, Rees and Pono up.

Anyone who doesn't realize the value TT brings to this team, even during a difficult offensive season for him, are beyond reasoning. We will miss his presence no doubt about it.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
To his detriment. Fast, Noesen, hell even Drury would probably be better options. Martinook is best in the bottom 6.
I don't mind him in small doses up there and typically find it gets blown out of proportion. But it would be a bit much as a long-term solution in the playoffs.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Islanders are so salty about the penalties. The fact is the refs were only calling penalities resulting in injuries. In non-injury related penalities they were actually called evenly, 1-and-1. There were plenty of other missed calls on both sides, including other high sticking penalties committed by the piles that weren't called. Let's all just look at the score sheet and be outraged by the misleading 6-0 in the box score.

All of goals Raanta allowed were Charmin Soft™, but Sorokin's goals were pretty weak as well.

Really sucks about Turbo, we can't catch a break with the injuries. It would be nice to see a prospect that could potentially contribute some offense called-up, but we'll most likely see Poolparty back in the lineup. With the injuries to our weapons, I think you need a hail-mary, like a rookie breaking out in the playoffs. We know what Jesse brings, and it's definitely not game breaking.

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
At the end of the day, this board has been plenty salty over refs before to the point of conspiracies. It is what it is. We'd all be in a similar state. I do think a couple of more things could have been called on us, but they certainly missed a few highly obvious ones on the Isles as well. But, the ones they called against the Isles were all pretty damn blatant with two blood-drawing high sticks, the trip of Jarvis on a great opportunity, and the Martin garbage. And the Rupp breakdown really drives home the biggest controversy really isn't one.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
This is why Raanta can't be a horse. Soft goals all around. He just cannot string strong consecutive performances together. I was certain we'd lose this game as I could see his confidence was shaken. Damn glad I was incorrect!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad