GDT: GAME 2 HURRICANES @ PANDAS

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

3CanesInTheBox

no touch my guys
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Putting it as succinctly as possible....Goal #1 was incredibly soft, the team looked like they quit after it and we never recovered.

Anything after that was just white noise. It was over.

thanks.

Maybe there is sense to starting him in Game 3 then. I don't know. I can't bring myself to watch the goals right now lol. it could be considered a 'panic' move to switch it up.....but I dunno. I could honestly see either goalie starting and not be mad about it.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Not saying you’re wrong, but you’re also not Waddell. They may view him as just a 2-round guy as opposed to a 4-round guy. Regardless, he’s a 20-something free agent goalie who had at least one quality series and has generally good playoff stats. If Carolina doesn’t promise him the No. 1 job, he’ll find someone who will.
2 round guy as opposed to 4 round guy? What does that even mean? It's not like he can score goals or perform on the PP or PK which is a much bigger problem than his goaltending. And why would a team starved of goaltending like us refuse to give the goalie who put up the best goaltending performance for our team in several seasons the chance to be a starter? You're overreacting here.

Reactions: DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
You’re overestimating a goalie’s priority to join a winning situation over an easier path to a No. 1 job.

Off the top of my head, Florida, Ottawa, Edmonton and Columbus all have very ambiguous situations in net.
Florida's only ambiguous until they sign Bob which looks pretty likely.
Columbus is the only other good situation looking for a goalie and their situation isn't as good as ours with what they're set to lose.
Ottawa and Edmonton? no. Oilers already blew their cap space on a goalie that's not even half the quality of Petr. And a goalie that was on his last legs before this season isn't about to go "OK I'm re-established, Ottawa it is" unless they overpay by a couple mil per right now. The Sens need a situation where someone is needing a chance to reboot their career like we were with Mrazek.

Reactions: CanesInducedComa

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
You’re overestimating a goalie’s priority to join a winning situation over an easier path to a No. 1 job.

Off the top of my head, Florida, Ottawa, Edmonton and Columbus all have very ambiguous situations in net.
Florida is going to sign Bobrovsky most likely, Ottawa is a dumpster fire no goalie wants to go to, Edmonton just re-signed Koskinen for too much money and is in cap hell. So that leaves Columbus, who probably goes another way anyway.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
Goal 1 was bad, goals 2-6 were him committing to the shooter and pass lane defense breaking down.

Petr is always going to overplay the shooter and be susceptible to the pass across. That's his aggressive style.... He's not going to sit in the net and play really well positionally like CMAC.

:)

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
Don't want to comb through these posts but I think we should go to McE in game 3 to maybe provide the spark this team needs...although the whole team sucked today. That soft goal by Mrazek was definitely not Mrazek like. I don't think he's 100 percent since his injury in game 2 vs the Islanders. He's allowed 10 goals in 2 games (that is definitely not him). Boston obviously has him figured out. Game 3 and 4 are must wins now. Time to take it to Boston like we did Washington after being down 0-2, on our home ice.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
I really do hope Mrazek stays with the Canes. My fam just relocated here, which makes rooting for the Canes easier. But I’m not going to be naive about Mrazek entering free agency in a market very thin on starting-quality goalies in their 20s. He’d be a fool not to test the waters. At the very least, his agent should advise him to do so.

3CanesInTheBox

no touch my guys
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
I'm assuming they'll be using the off day to play a wily group of street hockey kids to rediscover what it means to be true jerks?

v1.bjs3MDY4Mzk7ajsxODA1MzsxMjAwOzYyODs0NzE

:sarcasm:

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
It's not over yet guys. Have a little faith. Win both at home and you got a series.

Definitely not over but can't keep relying on home ice to get us back in a series BUT we've played well at home all playoffs and I don't see that changing. I hope we go to McE in game 3. I really do. We need a change in net although the whole team sucked tonight

Remember, last year Trotz removed Grubauer and put Holtby in net for the rest of the playoffs after Washington was down 0-2 to Columbus. Don't know why he did it because Grubauer wasn't playing that bad but it gave the team a spark and they won the next four straight and ended up winning the cup.

I really would like us to win these next two home games though to come back at Boston tied putting the pressure back on them. Right now, the pressure is on us. I'm pissed at this loss but if there's on thing I know is that after a bad game the team always bounces back with a good game or games.

Just win game 3 and go from there. No more Mrazek this series though. I don't think he's 100 percent. He may say he is but he's been lit up these two games.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I do think Rod goes with Mac in game 3. As a goalie, there are times when certain teams just have your number. You have to go with the guy who gives you the best chance to win and that looks like Mac right now. Combine the home crowd and a good performance by Mac and this series can turn quickly.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I do think Rod goes with Mac in game 3. As a goalie, there are times when certain teams just have your number. You have to go with the guy who gives you the best chance to win and that looks like Mac right now. Combine the home crowd and a good performance by Mac and this series can turn quickly.
Mac has pretty good stats but the Isles put on a clinic in how to not finish last round. This Boston team is much more talented. A lot of those close chances the Isles missed, the Bruins won't, especially if the skaters in front of the crease continue to play as badly as they have the last 4 periods.

barrykent

Apr 22, 2019
Not sure why everyone is throwing rocks at Petr. Yea, he wasn't good, but we gave them grade A chance after chance after chance non stop. Couldn't clear the puck, turnovers galore, sloppy puck handling - very unlike the Canes game for the most part. Get back in our groove and we'll grind it out with them and be fine. No problem putting Mac back in - he's 3-0, Petr is now 5-5 - but unless we play like we are supposed to in front of the goal, it really won't matter.....

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
I would leave Aho, Nino and Justin, then switch Svech and Foegele, The kid to the second line. Svech with Staal and Teuvo worked well in the past. Foegele, Wallmark and Ginner. The 4.line like yesterday. Frankly more you can't do. Boston is simply a very strong team with no weaknesses, very balanced and truly saying clearly a better team than Carolina. To beat Boston all guys need to be at their top, stay out of the box, attack continuously cause if we attack they have to play defense not we.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Boston has insane depth. They beat us two times with goals from Kapmfer, Grzelcyk, Backes, Heinen, Cliffton and Wagner. They are just better. Much better.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
They are just better. Much better.
Yesterday the Bruins were better. Game 1 was fairly even--the Canes took (at least two of the calls were borderline) bad penalties and it cost them. However, Pesce clearly beat Rask 2 minutes into the second only to hit the post. McGinn had an open net short-handed. The Bruins were an inch or two better in game 1.
In game 2 Mr. Azek and Slavin played poor. That is not the Bruins being better necessarily. If the Canes rally this can still be a series--they haven't been as good as Boston, but if both teams play their best it is pretty even.

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
This series? LOL Barring an injury to BackUp, in what scenario do you see Mrazek returning to the net this playoffs?

Simple. He got shelled game 5 vs Washington 6-0 and was put back in net game 6 and 7. But, in this case, he's had two bad games in a row. Time to go with the hot hand in McE.

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
Yesterday the Bruins were better. Game 1 was fairly even--the Canes took (at least two of the calls were borderline) bad penalties and it cost them. However, Pesce clearly beat Rask 2 minutes into the second only to hit the post. McGinn had an open net short-handed. The Bruins were an inch or two better in game 1.
In game 2 Mr. Azek and Slavin played poor. That is not the Bruins being better necessarily. If the Canes rally this can still be a series--they haven't been as good as Boston, but if both teams play their best it is pretty even.

Our poor performance this game MADE the Bruins look good. If we played the same way as game 1 until the third period I don't think the score would be nearly as worse as it was. This game reminded me of game 5 vs Washington and I turned that game off when it was like 3-0.

Also, we need to stop worrying about being physical vs Boston. They clearly adjusted to it and took it to us. We need to worry about outskating them because we are the faster team.

Domenic Pazzia

Mar 30, 2019
Our poor performance this game MADE the Bruins look good. If we played the same way as game 1 until the third period I don't think the score would be nearly as worse as it was. This game reminded me of game 5 vs Washington and I turned that game off when it was like 3-0.

Also, we need to stop worrying about being physical vs Boston. They clearly adjusted to it and took it to us. We need to worry about outskating them because we are the faster team.

Correct, worrying about layin the hammer is making them get out of defensive position. Leading to odd man rushes. Bruins want them to continue that

Reactions: SvechneJerk

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
This series is far from over. The canes have plenty of time to come back.

BTW the Canes lost yesterday, I noticed I had a flat tire last night around 7 pm, one of my kids threw up at the dinner table, and my wife and I had an argument this morning. I refuse to have a case of the Mondays. f*** that shit. Canes are coming back and I'm working for a got damn promotion.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad