GDT: Game 2/2- Habs vs Leafs Prospects - Sept 15- 1pm EST RDS1 & YouTube

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Both goalies were ahl quality. both will never make the nhl. it will be up to the russian and fowler.
Mesar is trade bait and a few others.. Hughes needed to see these two games and get a full understanding of the prospect pool. pink slips need to be handed out to some prospects so to make room of others.
Neither of them are prospects. Montembault, Primeau, Fowler, Volokhin and Miller (probably to injury prone) are the goalies.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
Mailloux, Hutson, Reinbacher, Tuch stood out for me. Heineman and Engstrom looked motivated as well.

Also: Davidson showed some decent hands with handling an awkward pass in his skate and scored. A nice showing.
Not surprised all but one who stood out were D-men. I was hoping Beck and the entire Xhekaj line would have as well, but oh well…

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Hopefully next year they ensure that the invitational goalies are capable of making a routine save.

I know these games are meaningless but no one likes losing any type of game and they lost both because they literally had high school level goaltending back there. Even if Miller was healthy, the guy playing game 2 has to be a somebody.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Both goalies were ahl quality. both will never make the nhl. it will be up to the russian and fowler.
Mesar is trade bait and a few others.. Hughes needed to see these two games and get a full understanding of the prospect pool. pink slips need to be handed out to some prospects so to make room of others.
AHL? Those are not AHL goalies imo. I don't think they are even ECHL maybe Drobac but not Richard, Maybe DEL or like that.

Richard is 22 and is playing for New Brunswick university. Drobac is 21 and undrafted from the OHL. There's nothing there but jersey filler who will never play for Uus at any level. You forget Dobes he had a relatively good 1st AHL season last year after a bad start.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
What did you all think of Owen Protz? Obviously a very raw young player.
Physically, he needs more confidence. He was playing against 4 to 5 years older players than him granted, but he's a big guy. He needs to do more than simply touching jerseys.

Technically he needs to improve his stick work. His gap control was also fishy in some plays. He will need to look at his own vids. There was a sequence where he had an opponent at arms length and because he was on the PK he went to try blocking the puck, with his pads. He should have just taken out the guy. IQ-wise there's some coaching and working to do.

Other than that, I liked that he understands enough of the game that I haven't really seen him out of position. He should be an interesting prospect to watch develop, as soon as he hits the pros that is.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Hopefully next year they ensure that the invitational goalies are capable of making a routine save.

I know these games are meaningless but no one likes losing any type of game and they lost both because they literally had high school level goaltending back there. Even if Miller was healthy, the guy playing game 2 has to be a somebody.
That was pretty bad honestly I think i've seen beer league goalies almost as good as those. It's not that rare to see Canadian university players in beer league.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Physically, he needs more confidence. He was playing against 4 to 5 years older players than him granted, but he's a big guy. He needs to do more than simply touching jerseys.

Technically he needs to improve his stick work. His gap control was also fishy in some plays. He will need to look at his own vids. There was a sequence where he had an opponent at arms length and because he was on the PK he went to try blocking the puck, with his pads. He should have just taken out the guy. IQ-wise there's some coaching and working to do.

Other than that, I liked that he understands enough of the game that I haven't really seen him out of position. He should be an interesting prospect to watch develop, as soon as he hits the pros that is.
Protz is a 4th round pick. He doesn't project as a guy who will dominate. His ceiling is probably Emelin. People must relax with our 4th and 5th round picks like THorpe, Xhekaj and Protz, Expecting 1st line and 1st pairing talent out of those is being unrealistic. If we can salvage on or two bottom 6 or 3rd pairing guys it will be great.

I think most of our young players looked good. We dominate both games but the goalies sucked big time. It's sad that Demidov, Hage, Roy, Kapanen were not there but overall our young dmen did great and some of the forwards there showed some potential as bottom six and middle six guys in 2-3 years. We already have Suzuki, Caufield, Slaf, Dach we don't need 10 other top 6 guys we need good depth too.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Protz is a 4th round pick. He doesn't project as a guy who will dominate. His ceiling is probably Emelin. People must relax with our 4th and 5th round picks like THorpe, Xhekaj and Protz, Expecting 1st line and 1st pairing talent out of those is being unrealistic. If we can salvage on or two bottom 6 or 3rd pairing guys it will be great.

I think most of our young players looked good. We dominate both games but the goalies sucked big time. It's sad that Demidov, Hage, Roy, Kapanen were not there but overall our young dmen did great and some of the forwards there showed some potential as bottom six and middle six guys in 2-3 years. We already have Suzuki, Caufield, Slaf, Dach we don't need 10 other top 6 guys we need good depth too.
You'd expect Protz to be able to sign a pro contract though right? I think he can become a pro from his showings. I had never seen him otherwise.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
You'd expect Protz to be able to sign a pro contract though right? I think he can become a pro from his showings. I had never seen him otherwise.
Yes he has NHL potential but like i said more as a Emelin type of players. A guy who will be ready when he'll be 22-23 and who will play a role on a 3rd pairing.

Reactions: vokiel

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
is it me of does Farrell consistently get in the way of his own linemates, it's uncanny, not only does he have 0 nhl tools, he's lacking in hockey sense which was supposed to be a strength of his
I wouldn't put too much into that, this squad hasn't played together, ever.

That being said. He has 0 inside game and he's slow as molasses, no pace in his game.

He only shines when he has tons of space, and that happens once in a lifetime in the NHL.

Welcome to the Guangdong Tigers buddy.

• Haha
Reactions: G0bias and Big Lurk

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I wouldn't put too much into that, this squad hasn't played together, ever.

That being said. He has 0 inside game and he's slow as molasses, no pace in his game.

He only shines when he has tons of space, and that happens once in a lifetime in the NHL.

Welcome to the Guangdong Tigers buddy.
Yeah :( outside of being dominant in the NCAA, he’s only really performed playing for the USA on the larger ice surfaces in Europe.
High hockey IQ but I don’t think the size, speed and physicality is there to play in the NHL.
Mesar seems to have wheels, hopefully he can add a bit of an edge to his game.
Outside of Hage and Demidov, Habs best, young forwards are already in the NHL

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing

You don't get to the highest levels an athlete can get to without having an unhealthy obsession with winning, Lane was pissed and I hope the rest of the guys were too, especially all the forwards who didn't have an impressive showing. Yes these games are meaningless but none of the players should think that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad