Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
No team goes from missing the playoffs to winning the cup. It typically takes some time to learn how compete in the playoffs for even the best teams

Missing the playoffs is without a doubt a set back for an organization looking move on to the next level.... To say otherwise is just absurd on every level.

Vegas did that literally 2 years ago lol

Before the last 2 years, Florida hadn't won a playoff SERIES since 1996.

This type of thing happens a fair amount.

That Tomas Harley deal is bad for NJ

If Harley is worth $4M for two years Mercer is easily worth closer to 5.

For cripes sake Mercer has 64 career goals... Harley has 53 career points.

Thomas Harley is a defenseman......................

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'd rather have Paul Cotter for what he's making (close to league minimum, isn't it?) than Miles Wood for 5 more years at over $2.5 million.

I'd also rather have Pesce's contract than Severson's current one. Pesce's is actually cheaper.
Cotter is interesting though because he was a trade...he is definitely a better value than Wood...not even a question about it.

But the real comparable is probably Noesen and Wood....UFA to UFA

It sort double whammys....

Wood and Holtz vs Cotter and Noesen...

I think that's a truer vs

Edit: one other thing I'm not too high on the potential of Holtz at all but I do think we cut him loose a little too soon. I think we could've taken a wait and see approach with Holtz a little while longer.

Last edited:

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Vegas did that literally 2 years ago lol

Before the last 2 years, Florida hadn't won a playoff SERIES since 1996.

This type of thing happens a fair amount.

Thomas Harley is a defenseman......................

Meh.

Vegas still had 94 points when they missed and they made the playoffs 4 straight seasons prior.

Florida had still made the playoffs every season since the 2020 playoffs. They won 1 round in the 2022 playoffs when they beat Washington before their back to back trips to the final.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I'd rather have Paul Cotter for what he's making (close to league minimum, isn't it?) than Miles Wood for 5 more years at over $2.5 million.
Cotter is 775K for this year and next year. Pretty huge when you consider what guys like Miles and Jeannot got who I think would be reasonable comps. I think people didn't appreciate that value when the trade went down

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Cotter is 775K for this year and next year. Pretty huge when you consider what guys like Miles and Jeannot got who I think would be reasonable comps. I think people didn't appreciate that value when the trade went down
I would have been interested to see what cotter cost as a draft pick trade.

I think it would have been more than people think.

2 years at league minimum+RFA control on a 24 year old.

Given Beck Malenstyn went for an early 2nd for just his RFA rights, and Yakov Trenin cost 3.5 mill in UFA (my other personal targets to fill the role cotter likely fills for us).

Reactions: My3Sons

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Meh.

Vegas still had 94 points when they missed and they made the playoffs 4 straight seasons prior.

Florida had still made the playoffs every season since the 2020 playoffs. They won 1 round in the 2022 playoffs when they beat Washington before their back to back trips to the final.

but that isn't what the original point was. "teams don't go from missing the playoffs to winning the Cup"

Vegas literally did it, and did it recently. If you want to add a caveat to that thats fine, but that was the original point.

the Devils had 81 points last year and were "in the mix" for the playoffs right up until like the last week or two....which quite frankly, given the injuries they had, is kind of amazing. I know the bottom of the East sucked, but still. It isnt like they bottomed out with 60 points or something.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
:laugh: Not the oldest here, but certainly among the "elder statesmen", 55 next month.
My word you are old. I cannot imagine being in my middle to late 50s. That's like almost 100. Next you are going to tell me that you can remember when the mullet first hit as a hairstyle. Do you have that "help I've fallen and I can't get up" thing yet?

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I would have been interested to see what cotter cost as a draft pick trade.

I think it would have been more than people think.

2 years at league minimum+RFA control on a 24 year old.

Given Beck Malenstyn went for an early 2nd for just his RFA rights, and Yakov Trenin cost 3.5 mill in UFA (my other personal targets to fill the role cotter likely fills for us).
Jeannot somehow finagled a 2nd and 4th this offseason, and that's two years of him being an offensive pumpkin and one year left at > 2.5 million.

I think on his own, the value of his contract I'd probably be asking 2 seconds from a competitive team

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
but that isn't what the original point was. "teams don't go from missing the playoffs to winning the Cup"

Vegas literally did it, and did it recently. If you want to add a caveat to that thats fine, but that was the original point.

the Devils had 81 points last year and were "in the mix" for the playoffs right up until like the last week or two....which quite frankly, given the injuries they had, is kind of amazing. I know the bottom of the East sucked, but still. It isnt like they bottomed out with 60 points or something.
I tried looking it up seems like these are the only teams that have done it, kinda crazy there's a huge stretch from 47-91 that it only happened 1x

SEASON|Team
1925-26|MTM
1933-34|CHI
1935-36|DET
1937-38|CHI
1946-47|TOR
1970-71|MTL
1990-91|PIT
1993-94|NYR
2005-06|CAR
2017-18lSTL
2022-23lVGK

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I saw ‘Pesce content dropped’ and assumed it was an interview somewhere, didn’t realize he just announced his number lol

The new staff alone should be an easy PR reason to get some content out.

Yeah me too. But then I thought Pesce had even decided his number in the summer ...

But I guess that wasn't confirmed via NJD until today?

Reactions: NJDevs26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad