Post-Game Talk: GAME 19: Canucks 1, Rangers 2: Point streak over! Ice bags brought out.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
what if the butter knife is better at a **** ton of other things

So I get what MS is saying. He's saying don't spend all your money buying a machete so you can win the knife fight but lose the gun fight because you were left with not enough to buy bullets. But I disagree that there were "better hockey players" around during UFA that would've been a better option than Beagle.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
So I get what MS is saying. He's saying don't spend all your money buying a machete so you can win the knife fight but lose the gun fight because you were left with not enough to buy bullets. But I disagree that there were "better hockey players" around during UFA that would've been a better option than Beagle.

R...ight, because...intangibles?

*giant air quotes*

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Reminder that the reason faceoffs matter is to have the puck more. Malhotra was excellent at not getting scored on. Malhotra was excellent on the PK. When Malhotra's line had the puck Malhotra's line kept the puck.

Now that you acknowledge that Malhotra's faceoff % was significant let me blow your mind.

Malhotra's faceoff % with us that one year, which absolutely made a difference, was 60%. 60% IS HUGE.

Guess what Beagle's faceoff % was last year?

58.5%.

I'm going to let that sink in.

58.5% is an INCREDIBLE faceoff %. He's like another Malhotra which you now have to admit was a good signing. Boom.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Out of the Beagle-Roussel-Schaller trio of FA signings, I wasn't expecting to say I would like Schaller the least
Really? Schaller was the only FA signing where I couldn't point towards a single known attribute in his skill set. 17 games in and I still haven't figured out what he does. Roussel and Beagle have been as advertised, at least as long as they've been healthy.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Was disappointing to discover the Rangers deploying Cody McLeod out there tonight. The last reflex of a dying breed and not pleasant watching. Gutsy of Archie to stand in there tonight I guess.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I know there's a lot of anger and frustration with Pouliot, but we have to step back and look at this.

Green, and management, have to see what they've got. They're consistently playing Pouliot on the pp to see if they have a future pp qb to compliment Hughes. He may improve and run with it, or he may get even worse.

I think they know what they have with Edler, Tanev, Guds, Stecher, and Hutton, but Pouliot is still a question mark.

Uh, no. I think he is who he is by now. How many more years do we want to waste waiting for him to improve? I don't know how you can say Stecher and Hutton are known commodities but Pouliot remains uncertain.

Reminder that the reason faceoffs matter is to have the puck more. Malhotra was excellent at not getting scored on. Malhotra was excellent on the PK. When Malhotra's line had the puck Malhotra's line kept the puck.

It wasn't just faceoffs he was good at, though. That's only one aspect of the good defensive play at which Malhotra excelled.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Now that you acknowledge that Malhotra's faceoff % was significant let me blow your mind.

Malhotra's faceoff % with us that one year, which absolutely made a difference, was 60%. 60% IS HUGE.

Guess what Beagle's faceoff % was last year?

58.5%.

I'm going to let that sink in.

58.5% is an INCREDIBLE faceoff %. He's like another Malhotra which you now have to admit was a good signing. Boom.
You can't possibly just look at one stat as a means of justifying a signing.

I have no issues with the way Beagle has played or his professionalism this season.

But you can't give someone his age that term.

And you can't do that when you also have another tunnel vision bottom six center who could eat d zone starts... now the bottom six will struggle to produce.

It wasn't logical.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
You can't possibly just look at one stat as a means of justifying a signing.

I have no issues with the way Beagle has played or his professionalism this season.

But you can't give someone his age that term.

And you can't do that when you also have another tunnel vision bottom six center who could eat d zone starts... now the bottom six will struggle to produce.

It wasn't logical.

This is assuming Beagle won't be productive but he will only be 35 years old for the last year of his contract when the season starts. There might be a little bit of a drop-off but I don't think it'll be the case with Beagle if you look at the way Malhotra's career played out. Manny looked like he could've played into his late 30s if he didn't have the eye injury because his fitness was absolutely elite and Beagle looks to be the same way.

Beagle's contract by the way is also lower than Malhotra's was as a % of the total cap 3.77%<4.21%.

Another interesting statistic? Manny's career FO% was 56.4%

What is Jay Beagle's? 56.3%

Boom.

member 290103

I know there's a lot of anger and frustration with Pouliot, but we have to step back and look at this.

Green, and management, have to see what they've got. They're consistently playing Pouliot on the pp to see if they have a future pp qb to compliment Hughes. He may improve and run with it, or he may get even worse.

I think they know what they have with Edler, Tanev, Guds, Stecher, and Hutton, but Pouliot is still a question mark.

What has he ever shown at the pro level to indicate he has any ability to be a PP QB or good offensive d-man? Nothing. We have given him a nice big sample size and if anything he gets worse. Experiment over. Move on.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Nice to see Goldobin bump his slump, even if it happened to come in arguably his worst game of the year. Hopefully he can rebound and get going with Pettersson again.

Reactions: Nomobo

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
You can’t be comparing the player malhotra was to the player that beagle is.

Beagle is at best half the player that malhotra was. You are legit saying that cause their faceoff percentages are close that malhotra and beagle are equal players.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

Beagle is at best half the player that malhotra was. You are legit saying that cause their faceoff percentages are close that malhotra and beagle are equal players.

Malhotra career PPG = 0.30

Beagle career PPG = 0.25

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
What has he ever shown at the pro level to indicate he has any ability to be a PP QB or good offensive d-man? Nothing. We have given him a nice big sample size and if anything he gets worse. Experiment over. Move on.

I'm just pointing out that it's the coach and management (not me) that are giving Pouliot a long look on the pp. Pou came aboard Oct. 2017, so that's barely over a year. They have some tough decisions to make (when don't they)down the road, and they probably don't want to write off a young defenseman (24 years old) too soon.

Look at Hutton now compared to last year. Look at Guds now compared to last year. Maybe they're hoping that Green can turn Pou's game around. Time will tell, and once again, frustration is the price you pay when you go with youth.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary

Beagle seems to be very much like Malhotra was, and I loved Malhotra in his role. Beagle even brings a little sandpaper to his game which Malhotra did not have.

Reactions: Canuckle1970

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I don't have a problem with saying Manny was better because I love Manny. Way better? I'm not sure about that.
Ok so if you think the ppg is not enough to say that malhotra is significantly better then why would beagles roughly same percentage point difference on face offs make him significantly better than the rest?

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

You can disagree all you want, you're wrong. And of course you'll disagree because you've proven to defend literally everything Benning does.

There were plenty of better players available, for much cheaper too. Benning gave out the 2 worst contracts on July 1.

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
This is assuming Beagle won't be productive but he will only be 35 years old for the last year of his contract when the season starts. There might be a little bit of a drop-off but I don't think it'll be the case with Beagle if you look at the way Malhotra's career played out. Manny looked like he could've played into his late 30s if he didn't have the eye injury because his fitness was absolutely elite and Beagle looks to be the same way.

Beagle's contract by the way is also lower than Malhotra's was as a % of the total cap 3.77%<4.21%.

Another interesting statistic? Manny's career FO% was 56.4%

What is Jay Beagle's? 56.3%

Boom.

Malhotra was a superior player and deployed as the 3rd line center, not 4th.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Road trip is taking its toil. Good effort but execution not really there. Plenty of chances to put away this game but good goal tending, posts, and poor finish led to a lot of missed opportunities.
To me, Horvat summed up the situation. After being a horse for the last few games and playing all the time he couldn't get much done. Messed up chances couldn't make a very good pass and a step behind the play. Always gives you his best but tank looked empty in this one. If he is not going, team is in trouble.

Good
Pettersson - thought he was good both ways and made very good plays to facilitate offense. Task is to get or develop teammates that can fully take advantage of his play making.

Gudbranson - whatever Gudbranson problems were in the past he is overcoming them. Very strong game. Coverage in his end and puck movement excellent. Beginning to look like the high draft choice he was. Showing command and confidence in his play. Keeps this up and that 4 mill deal will look fine.

Markstrom - gave the team a chance to win

Stecher - thought he was very solid. Efficiently got the puck out of his end and strong on both blue lines

Bad

Pouliot - so sluggish. Wants to slow everything down. Can't close the distance to make passes shorter or get up to support the play. Even on the PP seems to drift passes up from deep in his end. This is Bieksa-like hockey at its worst. Sloppy around his net. Edler comes back and Pouliot badly needs to be out of there.

Others

Eriksson - started the game ok but then ran out of gas. Might put Granlund in the same boat.

Tanev - like others strong in first and second but was making tired mistakes by the third

Goldobin - most interesting player on the team right now. Is he going to mature into the dangerous point producer or will he remain a player that continues to make dumb mistakes with the puck?
You can see the talent but is still so prone to blind area passes that only make him dangerous to his own team. Maybe playing youth hockey in Russia leads to this kind of play and maybe Goldodin is too entrenched in that kind of play to change it. That said, there have been improvements in his play. Last season, he mostly couldn't even get to areas to make a play. Now he at least gets there even though you're not sure what you are going to get when he does. Overall, I think you have to go with Goldobin over someone like Baertschi. Sure Baertschi might score a few more goals now and be sounder in his puck movement but he has nothing like the upside Goldobin has. At this point in the development of the team, I much prefer to go with the potential of Goldobin and am willing to live with some head palming play.

del Zotto - nothing to get too excited about but improved performances as of late. Too bad he missed that goal but good effort to get up in the play.

Leipcis had one of his better games and got some chances. However, his inability to complete chances probably means he will be out of here when injured players return. If he can't produce offense at this level then he is done.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Nice to see Goldobin bump his slump, even if it happened to come in arguably his worst game of the year. Hopefully he can rebound and get going with Pettersson again.
I hate to say this,but i have not liked his game at all..Wish there was more to him i just dont see it..I can see why he has been in Travis,s doghouse.If i could move him for an upgrade..id do it...

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
I hate to say this,but i have not liked his game at all..Wish there was more to him i just dont see it..I can see why he has been in Travis,s doghouse.If i could move him for an upgrade..id do it...

He really has not been in the doghouse at all. A few comments from the coach but he still skates with EP and on PP1. Getting a long look, as is 5, and I guess there is nothing wrong with that given where the team is at.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
That Pouliot-Tanev pairing seems to survive just barely for a couple of periods, but just come unglued in third periods. But without Edler, what are you going to do.

The pp has cost this team dearly in the last two games. The absence of Boeser and Edler is really starting to bite. This was a winnable game against the Rangers but just not enough offense. Things won't get any easier tomorrow night in Brooklyn.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
getting a little sick of the phony head jerking and overreactions on contact trying to draw penalties. The Granlund one was embarrassing......Canucks 0-4 Rangers 1-8

Nobody was that good tonight.

Schaller needs to sit, Gaudette needs to go to Utica and Pouliot needs to come off the 1st unit PP....Boeser and Baertschi cant get healthy soon enough

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad