GDT: Game 16: Avs @ Jets | 6 PM MT | November 9, 2018 | Oh No, We Suck Again

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Your guess is as good as mine.

I feel bad for the kid. Exact same thing happened last year, he had a hot start to the season, got yoyo'd around and then had troubles finding consistency.

Either leave him in the AHL or give him a damn shot in the NHL.

Nieto is banged up. Jost coming off a concussion and they’re on a western Canada road trip. You need at least one extra healthy forward in case something comes up.

So call up Agozzino or O'Connor.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Chasing him around all game is the right words for sure.
You know it would be between whistles.

Long story short, the Avs are soft. Winnipeg and Nashville can do whatever they want and the Avs just let it happen.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Speaking of, why was he called up?

He could've at least played in the AHL today.

I think Greer will be traded at the deadline for a similar prospect from another team. I mean, if you watch players like Dano, Bourque, and Dries (who flashed at times, good and bad) get prolonged stays or looks, it seems like Bednar is simply not a big fan of Greer.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Until they come up with a second line that's actually a threat, the MGM line has to be the best line on the ice every game , and our goalie has to be better than the other teams every game. Not ideal.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I think Greer will be traded at the deadline for a similar prospect from another team. I mean, if you watch players like Dano, Bourque, and Dries (who flashed at times, good and bad) get prolonged stays or looks, it seems like Bednar is simply not a big fan of Greer.

I would kill for a Sprong for Greer trade if Bednar doesn't want to give him a chance.

Honestly, it makes sense. Greer is a North-South player that fits Pittsburgh's needs, a gritty bottom 6 player with potential. Sprong adds speed and creativity to the lineup, which we're sorely lacking.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
5 straight losses, outscored 25-16 in that span.

25 goals against in 5 games. At this point, I'd be calling up Pavel Francouz and starting him in Edmonton. These goaltenders need to get their **** together. It's not all on them, but these last five games, all losses, have seen very poor goals allowed.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Everything that is happening right now falls squarely on Joe Sakic for simply not addressing it biggest need this off-season. We have no threats outside of the top line. It was glaring and he just sat on his hands.

It's so easy to shut this team down on the road, just put your top guys on MacKinnon's line, slow them down, and the Avs don't have enough elsewhere to do anything of value.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
5 straight losses, outscored 25-16 in that span.

25 goals against in 5 games. At this point, I'd be calling up Pavel Francouz and starting him in Edmonton. These goaltenders need to get their **** together. It's not all on them, but these last five games, all losses, have seen very poor goals allowed.

22 in last 11 periods.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Everything that is happening right now falls squarely on Joe Sakic for simply not addressing it biggest need this off-season. We have no threats outside of the top line. It was glaring and he just sat on his hands.

It's so easy to shut this team down on the road, just put your top guys on MacKinnon's line, slow them down, and the Avs don't have enough elsewhere to do anything of value.

Last season there wasn't much out there.

The only player's available that would have been a difference maker is ROR, Stastny, and Skinner. Skinner would only waive to Buffalo or Toronto. Stastny wanted to go to Vegas, that leaves ROR.

Different GM and all that, but I think we would've had to given up Jost+1st+, which I don't think many people would've wanted to do.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Last season there wasn't much out there.

The only player's available that would have been a difference maker is ROR, Stastny, and Skinner. Skinner would only waive to Buffalo or Toronto. Stastny wanted to go to Vegas, that leaves ROR.

Different GM and all that, but I think we would've had to given up Jost+1st+, which I don't think many people would've wanted to do.
All I know is what he did was not the answer, and a major mistake. All the teams around is made moves we stood still and got passed up.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
So should we all call for our own pick to tank to top 3? Most of the time we do that the team proves us all wrong. Lets just all concede to watching the team for draft picks and maybe they'll prove us wrong? I'd say its 50/50 based on history.

I think literally every year we think they might not suck because of the previous year we root to win (when the previous year they won even though we think they'll suck). We need to reverse our fan mojo because obvious they respond better to negative vibes.

Reactions: Goulet17

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
So should we all call for our own pick to tank to top 3? Most of the time we do that the team proves us all wrong. Lets just all concede to watching the team for draft picks and maybe they'll prove us wrong? I'd say its 50/50 based on history.

Can someone start an "Avs' pick tracker" site?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't think Avs played bad by any means, but holy cow they are playing stupid hockey.

These past couple of games are really eerie to the terribad season of two years ago where every single mistake went in the back of our net. Not sure if it's because Avs are conducting so many of them leading to goals by the mechanisms of probability, or if the Avs are not playing smartly enough to get back into proper defencive positioning's after they conduct a turnover. Perhaps it is a combination of both which has lead to a five game losing streak.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Wait, what? People are blaming goaltending? Besides the Grubauer game against the Canucks the goalers have the only consistent bright spot on the season. If you're going to allow Blake Wheeler all the freakin' time and space in the world and Laine to be give a "out of jail" card for free, of course they're going to score.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't think Avs played bad by any means, but holy cow they are playing stupid hockey.

These past couple of games are really eerie to the terribad season of two years ago where every single mistake went in the back of our net. Not sure if it's because Avs are conducting so many of them leading to goals by the mechanisms of probability, or if the Avs are not playing smartly enough to get back into proper defencive positioning's after they conduct a turnover. Perhaps it is a combination of both which has lead to a five game losing streak.

It's both, we've had some bad luck against teams we should beat, and we've failed to make our own luck against teams we shouldn't.

Most of the team looks like they're cracking under the pressure right now. We've lost these games through dumb mistakes more than anything.

I'm sorry I ever complained about our bottom nine being a zero sum event. Now they're negative space, and our top line's mistakes look even worse.

Reactions: S E P H

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Wait, what? People are blaming goaltending? Besides the Grubauer game against the Canucks the goalers have the only consistent bright spot on the season. If you're going to allow Blake Wheeler all the freakin' time and space in the world and Laine to be give a "out of jail" card for free, of course they're going to score.

Our goaltending has been killing their momentum of late. I wouldn't put the blame there but it's been part of the problem lately instead of something they can rely on, or part of the solution.

Varly said it best in his interview that he needs to make that one EXTRA save. That hasn't happened lately.

Edit.. I try to be fair with the goalies as much as I can, but it's difficult at times. I care a lot more about WHEN a goal is let in than I do how many goals are let in. Varly and Grubs have let in back breakers at the wrong time for a while now. I'm not saying that is all on them either. Starters cover up your mistakes at key times IMO.

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Management is now learning the hard way that leaning on a single line and a goaltender with a .940SV% isn't a reliable or suitable way to make a run for the playoffs. I'm happy it happens this soon into the season.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It's both, we've had some bad luck against teams we should beat, and we've failed to make our own luck against teams we shouldn't.

Most of the team looks like they're cracking under the pressure right now. We've lost these games through dumb mistakes more than anything.

I'm sorry I ever complained about our bottom nine being a zero sum event. Now they're negative space, and our top line's mistakes look even worse.
That's not good if this becomes true and for long stretches at a time. We've been plagued by weak mentality and turtling for so long I simply could not deal with another season of it. I'm still shaking off the wounds from all the games we turtled under Roy as it is.

Our goaltending has been killing their momentum of late. I wouldn't put the blame there but it's been part of the problem lately instead of something they can rely on, or part of the solution.
Not that I disagree, but I put the blame more on the players allowing those momentum-killing plays to happen. Just look at MacKinnon today, complete lazy-ass of a play because he wanted to go for a line change. That is such a simple mistake to prevent if he just took a second to look up and see that a Jets player was reading that back pass one million percent. That was the back-breaker and I just don't know how you can blame Varly there when you have our entire defencively core sliding like fish out of water on every single two-on-one. This isn't to say he played amazing nor that he didn't allow any weak ones because he did. But every single game besides the Vancouver one, goaltending did not lose us the game.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Sakic knows what he's doing. It's year 2 of the rebuild. Only make long term deals. Two picks in the top 10 this year will be invaluable building blocks. This will probably be the last throwaway year.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That's not good if this becomes true and for long stretches at a time. We've been plagued by weak mentality and turtling for so long I simply could not deal with another season of it. I'm still shaking off the wounds from all the games we turtled under Roy as it is.

Not that I disagree, but I put the blame more on the players allowing those momentum-killing plays to happen. Just look at MacKinnon today, complete lazy-ass of a play because he wanted to go for a line change. That is such a simple mistake to prevent if he just took a second to look up and see that a Jets player was reading that back pass one million percent. That was the back-breaker and I just don't know how you can blame Varly there when you have our entire defencively core sliding like fish out of water on every single two-on-one.

I agree with the second paragraph, but this is a way different roster IMO. I think I'd link it to history in the past with our core, but not at this point. I think it's just a young team with flaws. I mean look at our best players in key positions? Girard, MacK, Rants, etc.. Then add mistake after mistake from guys who are playing in roles way above their heads.

The only player beyond the top line who isn't playing in a role they are not ready for is Soda. It's just not realistic to expect these kids to bring their 110 game every night. Especially against these top teams.

Seriously? Who in our bottom nine besides Soda is playing a role they're ready for? Calvart, well he should probably be on the 4th line not the 3rd (or 2nd?). Wilson, should be on the third or 4th line. Borq, has played more up than he has on the 4th and the guy should probably be the 13th not the 12th or 11th.

From the talent to the scrub everyone is being asked more of than they've been able to prove themselves capable of for any stretch of time. Sakic made a bad bet simple as that.

I don't hate this team for not being good enough, or am I disappointed in their effort level. I do think guys like Jost were thrown to the wolves with no backup. Especially since Bednar refuses to use the only thing we have close to a #2C as a #2C.

The most demoralizing thing is that we don't have an immediate fix internally. Yeah we have some hope, but f*** all if anything we've got coming can realistically be expected to take a 2nd line role before the next two years on a team that is trying to be a playoff regular.

f***ing bright future is just too far in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad