GDT: Game 12: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Edmonton Oilers |2/10 6PM EST FSO| ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickguy

Jan 20, 2013
It doesn't matter how hard it was to execute a shot. That's just one play. JJ might have had a 1000 reasons to not take that shot and I don't want to go there. The problem is that 0.1 second length episode determines the whole level of his play.
How, how Johnson is responsible for any of the minuses he's got today? Someone invented stats line and others make it meaningful. You know, sometimes scoring on offence or stopping a shot on goal helps a bit. We're bad at it. Everyone knows it. Drew Doughty has the worst +/- in the NHL. Does that mean he's the worst defenseman in the NHL?

This "invented" stat line is an important one for d-men. And yes scoring a goal or stopping a shot on net does help...it also helps your +/- which clearly shows JJ didn't do either last night.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
First goal given up was because Wisniewski is awful defensively. Had nothing to do with anybody on the ice besides Wisniewski.

Second goal was bad defense by Johnson. Bad awareness by not picking up the trailer.

Third goal was an empty netter.

+/- is no indication of Johnson's play tonight.

I have to agree 100% with this. He played more like a -1.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
At the risk of appearing to defend Wiz... you mean Bob not simply covering the puck had nothing to do with it?

You talking about the first goal? I don't remember Wiz being there, but I'm trying hard to block last night out. If so, you are correct, two poor decisions. Both goals against involved poor decisions. What was Wiz thinking on the SH goal, trying to keep the puck in the zone? We can yell about coverage on the rush, but that was an rush that never needed to happen. Shouldn't.

Beyond the inability to put the puck in the back of the net, we are beating ourselves. We knew we would need to win 3-2 or 2-1 games to stay competitive. I was afraid of this when I looked at our defense. However, I am a bit surprised at the poor decision making with some of our forwards.

What is interesting to me is how much better to me the PP looks with a forward on the point (Brassard for example). Quicker and better decisions. The defense almost look frustrated and say "To hell with it" and take inadvisable shots. Also JMFJ seems obsessed with slap shots. A nice well place wrister can be far more effective.

At any rate, it was nice to see us play in their zone most of the night. It was nice to see scoring chances. What wasn't nice to see is that we get anxious with the puck in tight. The old cliche of "holding the stick too tight" seems to apply here. Their goalie was very good, but we also were pretty bad in tight.

We knew it was going to be a transition year. These guys are still finding their way. The lack of a camp and such a tight schedule really played against us. Could work out for a high draft pick, but it's translating into a painful team to watch.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I'll just put a bow on this game by saying this - this is EXACTLY the team we thought we had at the beginning of the season. Hard working, never quitting, good defense, average goaltending, average coaching, but drug down by LOFT for offense.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
You talking about the first goal? I don't remember Wiz being there, but I'm trying hard to block last night out. If so, you are correct, two poor decisions. Both goals against involved poor decisions. What was Wiz thinking on the SH goal, trying to keep the puck in the zone? We can yell about coverage on the rush, but that was an rush that never needed to happen. Shouldn't.

Yes, Wiz gains the puck in our end with Hemsky on his back.

He fakes to skate behind the net, and peels back to the boards leaving Hemsky behind.

Now he makes the mistake of going back up the middle with the puck and Hall takes it off his stick.

He could have dumped in up the boards for the safe play.

Hall comes in and loses the puck, giving Bob a chance to cover.

Bob then decides to play the puck, which we all know is scary, firing it into Hemsky who is still circling around deep in our zone.

Hemsky finishes, 1-0 bad guys.

Wiz also gets beat behind the net on the waved off Eberle goal.

Wiz had a terrible night, probably his worst in a CBJ uniform that I can recall, but Bob could have prevented the first goal, and JJ could have prevented the second by playing the pass instead of floating between the two threats.

My question to Richards is, WTF is this guy (Wiz) on the ice for 24 minutes in his first game back? It was obvious by the end of the 1st that Wiz was a step behind everyone else.

Last edited:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Wiz has been sending far too many passes back directly in front of our goal. At times it seems like he is centering for our opponent. Luck caught up with him this time.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
We knew it was going to be a transition year. These guys are still finding their way. The lack of a camp and such a tight schedule really played against us. Could work out for a high draft pick, but it's translating into a painful team to watch.

Painful, indeed! This is all true.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Was at the game last night (just now recovering from what I saw). A complete inability to find the back of the net with the puck coupled with a tendency to break down at the absolute worst possible moments usually does not lead to much, if anything, good.

That said, if they don't give up one stupid shorthanded break to the Oilers late in the game, they get out of Nationwide with at least 1 point.

Frustrating, that's all there really is to it.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
By the way, is there anywhere to listen to the radio broadcast on demand? I'm asking only because I'm trying to find the time of the 2nd official timeout in the 1st period for my scorecard (forgot to jot it down).

bizzz*

Nice job making excuses for both players playing poorly. And nice job attempting to defuse/dismiss others' critiques. It's BS for you to suggest I'm pulling out isolated instances, because that's exactly what I'm not doing.

Nikitin was slow even for himself last night. His play with the puck was weak. I'm growing tired of him trading passes behind our pown net with his partner intead of getting the puck up ice. He had a less-than-quality effort in last night's game.

The one-timer was tough because it was an "inside" pass, but he still should have been able to execute it. As others have said, the situation called for a wrist shot that Johnson, an NHL player, should have been able to execute. And on a team that struggles to score, that inability from one of supposedly its better players is magnified. Overall, his game was sketchy and inecisive, and it has been the last 3-4 games. Wiz was bad, sure - I didn't feel that needed to be said. But JJ was sub-par in his own right. The non-play on the shorty is just indicative of his overall play, not a deviation from it.
Reading you comments on Nikitin I thought that I watched different game. So to check on my opinion I went to the Oilers board to find out what the neutral fans are thinking of the guy and his play last night. I haven't found a single negative comment regarding the subject, and only our fellow Blue Jackets fan threw a spoon of crap at him:

Nikitin and Tytin look solid for CBJ.

Anyone else impressed with Nikita Nikitin?
Big, physical and mobile. Love to have him.

He played the most minutes of anyone on the BJs so he must be doing something right.

Yes I thought he played really well. All over the ice all night.

Is this a sarcastic comment? He's been awful this season for the Blue Jackets. It's also funny because OilerLord made a comment on the Jackets GDT and said he has a man crush on Umberger and he's been useless as well for Columbus.

Here's what i don't get about the Jackets fans here. Looks like the most of posters NEED to complain and whine. I couldn't find a single positive comment on Nikitin in the GDT, people just don't notice the nice job he's doing routinely. But they never miss a chance to make a comment like punk_o_holic. He was actually surprised that someone liked Nikitin's game! Those 5 games he played between the flights across 18 time zones were awful! The guy traveled basically from Japan to Phoenix through Europe, lets bash him.

The cross-ice pass to Johnson was straight t his feet, he couldn't take a shot without some puck work.

You can continue with you complains though.

So much wrong with this post. First, you must have ignored the part of my original post you quoted that called out RJ and Vinny for being bad. You want more? How about my post where I bemoan that the Jackets can't bang home a rebound? Two games in a row I've wondered why this is.

The Jackets gave up 14 shots in large part due to the amount of time spent in the Edmonton zone. Sure, the team gave up 13 shots, but surrended 2 goals on them. That's not good. It's the inverse "not good" of the offense not scoring more than once despite getting 40 shots.
That post wasn't addressed only to you, it was more related to this comment:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=59468897&postcount=226
I really feel like Murray would've helped a lot and even seen a good amount of minutes if he wasn't injured and in training camp. Some of our defense looks pretty brutal in our own zone.

Last edited by a moderator:

stickguy

Jan 20, 2013
Here's what i don't get about the Jackets fans here. Looks like most of posters NEED to complain and whine. I couldn't find a single positive comment on Nikitin in the GDT, people just don't notice the nice job he's doing routinely. The cross-ice pass to Johnson was straight t his feet, he couldn't take a shot without some puck work.
You can continue with you complains though.
[/url]

Your right...all is wonderful in Blue Jackets land. We all need to learn to ignore the standings, the stats, all the empty seats in the building, as well as the comments from other team's broadcasts who cannot understand what the coaches/organization are doing with some of their moves they make.

bizzz*

Your right...all is wonderful in Blue Jackets land. We all need to learn to ignore the standings, the stats, all the empty seats in the building, as well as the comments from other team's broadcasts who cannot understand what the coaches/organization are doing with some of their moves they make.

No, YOU are right. Lets keep bashing on the guy who just came off the injury and had his best game of the year. Lets rip off the team that was put together just a month go.

The standings and stats were predictable. And I have a reasonable explanation to what coaches and organisation are doing. They build a base for 4-5 highly talented and skilled kids that will enter the roster very next fall. They don't have a goal to win a couple more games and lose on Drouin or Barkov.
Johansen (who scored a goal in every of his last 3 AHL games), Atkinson, Murray, Moore, Jenner, MacKinnon, Barkov, Erne (or another three 1st rounders). Insert those kids into this lineup and you might be able to see something positive about this franchise.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
No, YOU are right. Lets keep bashing on the guy who just came off the injury and had his best game of the year. Lets rip off the team that was put together just a month go.

The standings and stats were predictable. And I have a reasonable explanation to what coaches and organisation are doing. They build a base for 4-5 highly talented and skilled kids that will enter the roster very next fall. They don't have a goal to win a couple more games and lose on Drouin or Barkov.
Johansen (who scored a goal in every of his last 3 AHL games), Atkinson, Murray, Moore, Jenner, MacKinnon, Barkov, Erne (or another three 1st rounders). Insert those kids into this lineup and you might be able to see something positive about this franchise.
This. This is exactly what's going on. JD realizes the Gold mine he struck with cbj, everyone expects only failure here. CBJ with just a little bit of luck and one or two smart moves has a very bright future with the likes of Atkinson, Murray, Moore, Johansen, Jenner, Reilly, Erixon, Dansk(projected 1st rd) and 3 picks. JD is drooling, the talent is here, it just needs to be developed AND he gets to add 3 players to it.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
This. This is exactly what's going on. JD realizes the Gold mine he struck with cbj, everyone expects only failure here. CBJ with just a little bit of luck and one or two smart moves has a very bright future with the likes of Atkinson, Murray, Moore, Johansen, Jenner, Reilly, Erixon, Dansk(projected 1st rd) and 3 picks. JD is drooling, the talent is here, it just needs to be developed AND he gets to add 3 players to it.

But, but this is the CBJ....

... We just can' do that.

Simply not allowed.

:sarcasm:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Reading you comments on Nikitin I thought that I watched different game. So to check on my opinion I went to the Oilers board to find out what the neutral fans are thinking of the guy and his play last night. I haven't found a single negative comment regarding the subject, and only our fellow Blue Jackets fan threw a spoon of crap at him:

"Hey look I found three people who agree with me. Therefore I'm right and you're wrong."

Here's what i don't get about the Jackets fans here. Looks like the most of posters NEED to complain and whine. I couldn't find a single positive comment on Nikitin in the GDT, people just don't notice the nice job he's doing routinely. But they never miss a chance to make a comment like punk_o_holic. He was actually surprised that someone liked Nikitin's game! Those 5 games he played between the flights across 18 time zones were awful! The guy traveled basically from Japan to Phoenix through Europe, lets bash him.

Nikitin was sub-par last night. I don't have any idea what all the other stuff you're talking about here has to do with anything. I got no beef with NN, I have no agenda, I'm just posting what I saw at the game. I didn't single anyone out as the sole cause of anything, so feel free to drop the knight-in-shinng-armor routine.

bizzz*

"Hey look I found three people who agree with me. Therefore I'm right and you're wrong."

I'm sorry, but I've found a whole fanbase that saw what I saw. Nobody disagreed with props to Nikita.

Nikitin was sub-par last night. I don't have any idea what all the other stuff you're talking about here has to do with anything. I got no beef with NN, I have no agenda, I'm just posting what I saw at the game. I didn't single anyone out as the sole cause of anything, so feel free to drop the knight-in-shinng-armor routine.
Well. We agree to disagree. And the other staff was my little comment on the other posts.

bizzz*

But before that, let me just mention the huge numbers of people who saw it the way I did. So sorry.

Where are they hiding? In your head? Check out at your doctor then. None of them live in Edmonton where people actually watching hockey and support their team without endless whining.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Where are they hiding? In your head? Check out at your doctor then. None of them live in Edmonton where people actually watching hockey and support their team without endless whining.

Two questions:

1) Did you actually read the GDT and PGT on the Oilers' board from that game? Or did you just cherry-pick posts about NN? Because that's not a fanbase with an aversion to whining. So I think you are purposefully lying or willfully ignorant.

2) You're saying that Edmonton Oiler fans are better fans and know more about hockey than Columbus Blue Jacket fans? Is that what you're saying? Because it kinda sounds like that's what you're saying.

Look. I'm telling you what I saw, in the arena. You disagree. Fine. But don't go trying to prove your opinion is somehow more valid because you found three posters on the opposition's board that agree with you. There are scores of posters on this forum who shared my viewpoint. Are we really gonna spend the next few days fighting over who's right? And here's a thought. When you get ready to "agree to disagree," you might not want to immediately preface it with "well, I'm right, but..."

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

Are you out of your mind? Go back and read that GDT and tell me there is no whining in Edmonton! This post is stupid and not worthy of you, bizzz.

bizzz*

Two questions:

1) Did you actually read the GDT and PGT on the Oilers' board from that game? Or did you just cherry-pick posts about NN? Because that's not a fanbase with an aversion to whining. So I think you are purposefully lying or willfully ignorant.

2) You're saying that Edmonton Oiler fans are better fans and know more about hockey than Columbus Blue Jacket fans? Is that what you're saying? Because it kinda sounds like that's what you're saying.

1.I used the "search" option and did read every post were Nikitin's name was mentioned. Feel free to do the same cause looks like you keep making up your point.
2.I just pointed at controversy between the Oilers fans opinion and your perception.
But don't go trying to prove your opinion is somehow more valid because you found three posters on the opposition's board that agree with you
Are you really bad at math? Cause only in this thread I quoted 4 of them.
And here's a thought. When you get ready to "agree to disagree," you might not want to immediately preface it with "well, I'm right, but..."

Exactly! You agreed to disagree and THEN brought in a "huge numbers of people who saw it the way you did". And I just tried to find out who those people are.

MattTheMask

Cbus for life!
Mar 11, 2009
Columbus
www.jacketsfans.com
None of them live in Edmonton where people actually watching hockey and support their team without endless whining.

Most asinine post of the year. Go read the entire GDT between the CBJ and Edmonton from Sunday.

Many posters are advocating blowing up the front office. Saw multiple posters who want to fire the GM, trade Smyth, bench certain guys etc. Imagine that. And they are in a better position than we are! Get real

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I used the "search" option and did read every post were Nikitin's name was mentioned. Feel free to do the same cause looks like you keep making up your point.

Which is how you missed the incessant whining you said that fanbase doesn't do. (Also pointed out by two posters in this very thread on this very page.) So willful ignorance, then. Got it.

I just pointed at controversy between the Oilers fans opinion and your perception.

No you didn't. You implied that Oiler fans' opinion on the subject is more valid than CBJ fans'. It would be like my dismissing that entire fanbases' hockey knowledge because a few of them agreed with you. Go back and read your posts.

Are you really bad at math? Cause only in this thread I quoted 4 of them.

Really?

Exactly! You agreed to disagree and THEN brought in a "huge numbers of people who saw it the way you did". And I just tried to find out who those people are.

Go back and read through your posts and see you did this very thing. I was only pointing it out. I tried doing it sarcastically first, but you didn't get it.

bizzz*

You know, when you speak foreign language you lose 80% of your personality and also it's hard to be sarcastic or understand sarcasm sometimes. I also tried to be sarcastic and you also didn't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad