Post-Game Talk: Game 10: Avalanche @ Hurricanes | Avs Lose 3-2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think Landeskog has looked worse than anyone else this game. He created the best scoring chance Avs have created this game with his forecheck as well.

Pretty much everyone looks out of sync. Tanguay and MacKinnon with small glimpses of something, but not much.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I thought Landeskog looked pretty good first couple games of the year. He's doing his vanishing act again like last year around this time though.

Landeskog has always been a streaky player, that's one of the Avs problems, too many streaky players not enough consistency

Avs44

May 16, 2011
You can't just say you'll have a good start and then just go out and do it. It's clear this team just doesn't work right now. The lineup is almost how everyone here would have it. It's not a matter of will or whatever. We just aren't good, it's that simple. The 112 point season just screwed everyone's mind. This team has younger, less experienced pieces.

Which is particularly worrisome, and frustrating, because I feel like the 112 point season may have resulted in several contracts / deals that should never have been made, and most of all given our management group (seemingly still) a perception that we can win now. If this is indeed how bad our club is, then essentially another mini-rebuild needs to be kickstarted in which the team trims the fat, accepts this season and likely next season as complete write-offs, and moves forward from there with guys like Johnson, Varlamov, and Duchene as the 'veterans,' and a new influx of young players like Rantanen and Zadorov / whoever else they accumulate over that time period.

But it seems with the decisions they've made (Stuart, Iggy, Beauchemin, Soderberg) our management is pushing to win now. And that's fine, because I think everyone was deluded by that great season and even hopeful signs like the push last year, but Roy and Sakic better realize what's going on, and quickly, because continuing to go down the 'win now' path might result in everything this club has done over the past 6 years just being a complete disaster.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
He went for a hit at the wrong time and helped cause that rask goal. If they reigning him in he sure didnt listen there. Thats the first time I seen Roy lean into one of the guys since that one playoff game when he went at Mackinnon for something

True, but I'll take a bad play here and there that leads to a more engaged Zads over this [meh] Zads any day.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Read this business every year.

Followed by how he is too focused on making that passionate play and putting the Avs in a bad spot.

Followed by how he doesn't work hard enough at both ends.

At least he's consistent in his mediocrity I guess

Landeskog used to be a shooting machine. What the hell happened to that player. He used to be the one guy you woukldnt need to worry about taking it to the net. When was the last time he took the puck hard to the net? The Dallas game?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Which is particularly worrisome, and frustrating, because I feel like the 112 point season may have resulted in several contracts / deals that should never have been made, and most of all given our management group (seemingly still) a perception that we can win now. If this is indeed how bad our club is, then essentially another mini-rebuild needs to be kickstarted in which the team trims the fat, accepts this season and likely next season as complete write-offs, and moves forward from there with guys like Johnson, Varlamov, and Duchene as the 'veterans,' and a new influx of young players like Rantanen and Zadorov / whoever else they accumulate over that time period.

But it seems with the decisions they've made (Stuart, Iggy, Beauchemin, Soderberg) our management is pushing to win now. And that's fine, because I think everyone was deluded by that great season and even hopeful signs like the push last year, but Roy and Sakic better realize what's going on, and quickly, because continuing to go down the 'win now' path might result in everything this club has done over the past 6 years just being a complete disaster.

Beauch isn't a problem contract, he's there to bridge the gap until the kids are ready.

They haven't given out an extension in over a year, I think they got the clue somewhat.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
I really don't think so, it's better in theory. It might eventually look better. You can't just turnover 1/3 of the roster and just assume it's all going to be great. We don't even have enough top 6 forwards, the D is young.

Ahh, I guess you're right. In theory, it should be better. I guess my expectations are quite high. I guess we got two shiny new toys on D and instantly thought we'd have a more competent squad. The thing is, even when Iggy or Tangs aren't playing their best I kind of just brush it off. They're fine more often than not. It's our core pieces taking days off that really frustrates me. Has there ever been a game where both Duchene and Mackinnon took over the same game?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It's Farrish, man. He has ruined EJ and Barrie and now he's working on Zadorov.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
It's Farrish, man. He has ruined EJ and Barrie and now he's working on Zadorov.

Well. I was pretty big on Tourigny (even though it looks like that stupid man-to-man system was his thing). So far our defense does not look as good as expected.

So yeah. Roy will certainly get another year. But if our D continues to look bad, Farrish (together with whoever is running the PP (probably Army)) needs to go.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Landeskog used to be a shooting machine. What the hell happened to that player. He used to be the one guy you woukldnt need to worry about taking it to the net. When was the last time he took the puck hard to the net? The Dallas game?

Roy used to preach quality over quantity until recently. I think that has played a part. I do think team are more prepared to push him outside now rather than give him that chance to drive. I also think his defensive assignments take a lot of that energy before he even gets into the zone.

Either way, I want to see that old Viking too.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The whole no heart argument us so stupid. You think they all woke up today and said meh we won last night so let's take it easy? It's game 9 of the season but whatever, we don't care what happens for the next 6 months.

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
I still miss JML. One of my last memories of him in an Avs sweater is rushing back and saving a play I thought was sure to end up in the back of the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad