GDT: GAME 1 | PANTHERS VS SENATORS | THE ULLMARK ERA BEGINS | Thu Oct 10, 2024, 7PM

GoSenatorsGo

Nov 9, 2007
I don’t have much to contribute because I bought 300 tickets and promptly forgot my glasses - but the buzz in my section was just constantly about how Sanderson kept making nice play after nice play. He’s gonna join the Norris conversation this year I think.
Completely agree. He was a stud

Reactions: BigRig4

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Didn't watch... Unfortunately working. But spent my break going through the thread. Happy Ullmark did great, and glad we won. Hopefully we can just improve on this and get better.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
This is the kind of game where if you are afraid of this being another season like last year, it doesn't help.

Florida was very clearly the better team after the first period, and it wasn't close.

With that said, there is no point in worrying. Just hope that it's growing pains with a new system and a high chance over rate, and that Ullmark can carry them to a respectable record until they get it.
Okay, but if this was last year, we would have lost the game.

That means we already have 2 more points than we would have had last year, assuming the team plays the same as it did last year (which they probably won't).

No team is runs at 100% all the time. Also, sometimes you run at 100%, but the opposing team also happens to run at 100%, and if that opposing team is the reigning champs, you're probably going to lose.

The big difference is that last season if we were not at 100%, it was a automatic loss. This season, it won't be.

For what it's worth:
1728615611131.png

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary

That means we already have 2 more points than we would have had last year, assuming the team plays the same as it did last year (which they probably won't).

No team is runs at 100% all the time. Also, sometimes you run at 100%, but the opposing team also happens to run at 100%, and if that opposing team is the reigning champs, you're probably going to lose.

The big difference is that last season if we were not at 100%, it was a automatic loss. This season, it won't be.

For what it's worth:
View attachment 915070
Guess we got the bounces today.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
What a breath of fresh air tonight. The building just felt different from last year. There is a tonne of energy and it….is….loud. I can’t remember an empty net goal that rocked the building. Great time with the kids.
Another thing, the amount of merchandise that people are wearing is something to admire. I have never seen so many jerseys, hats etc for a non playoff game. Impressive

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

For what it's worth:
View attachment 915070

Okay you got me with the fancy graphic, I'm on board.

StutzlingAway

Feb 28, 2017
Chabot also had a very rocky 3rd. Several times just couldn't cut it. Cannot have that at all from one of our best D's.

If we want to make serious noise(playoffs) then Sanderson AND Chabot need to both play like number 1/top pairing Dmen
I know this sounds somewhat harsh but I we've watched Chabot for years and yeah sure he's been overplayed and so on. The reality is that he just isn't very good, especially I'm comparison to his contract. He doesn't put up nearly enough points, he does not defend well at all, he constantly turns over he puck around the boards, and gets out muscled many times while hanging on to the puck longer than he should. He is a great skater and can break out the puck, that's about it.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Just got back from the game. Another awesome experience being at the home opener. However, saw around 1,000 empty seats around the rink. Inflation must be hitting hard. Still a great game.
I saw a bunch of empty seats as well. Closer to a hundred or two not 1000. Announced attendance was 19k plus though

Linus said it himself. Apparently he's a believer in DJ Smith's theory on bounces.

Didn't you tell everyone to move on? Seems like you can't let go

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I posed that as a question. Do you notice the question mark at the end? Using a question mark denotes a suggestion, not a demand. You can feel how you feel, Cosmix can feel how they feel. Hell, I can feel how I feel. But sometimes people don't need to constantly hear negative shit all the time. How old are you exactly?
It seems some people are never satisfied; they tend to complain about everything, always finding something to criticize. It's quite remarkable. The Sens won against the defending Stanley Cup champions 3-1, yet some are upset because the victory wasn't dominant enough. It makes one question if they are true fans of the Sens or if they simply enjoy causing a stir.

Reactions: aragorn

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
What a breath of fresh air tonight. The building just felt different from last year. There is a tonne of energy and it….is….loud. I can’t remember an empty net goal that rocked the building. Great time with the kids.
Another thing, the amount of merchandise that people are wearing is something to admire. I have never seen so many jerseys, hats etc for a non playoff game. Impressive
I noticed this as well although it's my first home opener. I think every 4/5 people I saw had Sens jerseys.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Jensen played a Zub-like gane while Zub had an off-night.

It’s against the Panthers. So not everyone is going to be on their A-game.

Safe to say we lose that one with Korpisalo.

I don't expect Ullmark to bail the team out every night, but some stability could go a real long way in letting the team get settled and trend up.
Did Ullmark even “bail us out” or did he just play a great game? All the top teams in the league have goalies make key saves multiple times a game when their defence breaks down.

Reactions: StutzlingAway

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Did Ullmark even “bail us out” or did he just play a great game? All the top teams in the league have goalies make key saves multiple times a game when their defence breaks down.
Maybe I'm just used to our goaltenders letting us down. He made some big saves and earned the first star, but it wasn't some insanely slanted game.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
Jensen played a Zub-like gane while Zub had an off-night.

It’s against the Panthers. So not everyone is going to be on their A-game.

Totally.

Ullmark was fantastic, but didn’t steal us the game or anything. He made some key saves, and gave us the confidence needed to win us the game.

And I give him an A+ for that, because we haven’t had a goalie that can do that in a long time.

Reactions: DrEasy

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Totally.

Ullmark was fantastic, but didn’t steal us the game or anything. He made some key saves, and gave us the confidence needed to win us the game.

And I give him an A+ for that, because we haven’t had a goalie that can do that in a long time.

Bro the second half of the game was like an NHL team vs AHL team.

We had a great 1st period sure, but the rest of the way it was the definition of a goalie stealing it.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I agree, and having a competent goalie is the backbone to it all.
It definitely gives our players more confidence to play, learn and make a few mistakes. Last year, every mistake was ending up in our net. In order for this team to learn and grow into a playoff team, we need to be able to make those mistakes without it costing our players their confidence.
When they lose confidence, then it just starts a spiral of self doubt that is hard to get out of.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Bro the second half of the game was like an NHL team vs AHL team.

We had a great 1st period sure, but the rest of the way it was the definition of a goalie stealing it.
There were a lot more positives in the situation than I think you're letting on. Ullmark did steal that game. But aside from his stellar play, there were small little details that showed our team is improving.

It's a bad comparison saying they looked like an AHL team. You have to remember they just played the reigning Stanley Cup champions. Have a look at how they ran over Boston, who was also a playoff contender last season. What it looked like, was a Stanley Cup playoff team, versus a team who has yet to make the playoffs.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
There were a lot more positives in the situation than I think you're letting on. Ullmark did steal that game. But aside from his stellar play, there were small little details that showed our team is improving.

It's a bad comparison saying they looked like an AHL team. You have to remember they just played the reigning Stanley Cup champions. Have a look at how they ran over Boston, who was also a playoff contender last season. What it looked like, was a Stanley Cup playoff team, versus a team who has yet to make the playoffs.
Most of the third period looked like a power play for Florida.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Was a great effort even if they got overmatched at times when the opposition was pushing to get back in the game. Can't overlook they played a great team and held onto an early lead. It helps that Ullmark came up big when relied upon and 31 blocked shots shows how bad that group wanted that win.

I thought some line changes were problematic. Happened a couple times when they had possession and needed a change all 3 forwards went off forcing the D deep into the zone and Florida got a fresh group on who immediately went on the forecheck and it lead to some long shifts for the D. You need at least one forward to help and give an outlet until they move that puck up the ice, especially late in a game with a lead when that other team is pushing to tie the game. Didn't help that Florida specializes in hounding the puck.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad