GDT: GAME 1 | PANTHERS VS SENATORS | THE ULLMARK ERA BEGINS | Thu Oct 10, 2024, 7PM

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
The forecheck looked better; the cuts up the ice looked better; the player support looked better. There was a lot more team play tonight than I've seen during last seasons games, sans late season Martin work. Our PP needs improvement for sure. But there are many facets that looked better and more congealed than early last year. Yes, it's one game, but I see improvements. They also showed it in the pre-season. They're moving in the right direction.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. I didn't tell anyone to do anything. I made a suggestion that maybe some people don't want to hear the same crap over and over again.
LOL. BS. This is what you said” "How about we celebrate instead?” Go back to #608. I even bolded it for you. We’re done here. This is beyond childish.

Last edited:
Reactions: DylanSensFan

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Way too early to make statements of this kind imo. I haven't seen anything yet to convince me team play has improved, nor have I seen the opposite.
There were shades of DJ Smith in the 2bd and 3rd periods where rim around the boards were constantly cut off and the inability to clear the zone was on repeat. Main difference was a competent goalie to bail out the Sens.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Florida are the champs for a reason, it's no surprised they dominated play at times, their forecheck is ridiculously aggressive and Ottawa obviously struggled breaking out the puck. They have that effect on pretty much every team they play.

I actually thought despite that, Ottawa battled really well and did a great job blocking shots. It was just managing the puck through that forecheck that they struggled with, but again, it's Florida, not many games where they don't do that to their opponents.

It's reassuring that our players buried their chances and that Ullmark was fantastic. They also showed great work ethic, they never gave up on plays even when Florida was at their most relentless.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Just got back from the game. Another awesome experience being at the home opener. However, saw around 1,000 empty seats around the rink. Inflation must be hitting hard. Still a great game.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Having even adequate goaltending will make a huge difference for this team. Tonight is a perfect example why. Sens dominated out of the gate but of course the game settled by the 2nd, and the Panthers cranked it up a notch in the third and were firing on all cylindres, including that shift when Ottawa was hemmed in their zone for like 2 minutes.

In years past, the team would have collapsed right there. Instead, Linus made key saves and the Sens were able to weather the storm and regroup to win it.

They didn't regroup at all though.

They were fighting for survival till late and got lucky a stick broke.

• Haha
Reactions: albator71

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
There were shades of DJ Smith in the 2bd and 3rd periods where rim around the boards were constantly cut off and the inability to clear the zone was on repeat. Main difference was a competent goalie to bail out the Sens.

It was mainly hammer and Klev getting stuck in the third period. I feel Florida being in game form is probably the toughest challenge they could get. We will find out around the 10 game mark what kind of team we have on our hands.

I am confident though that this team cant finish below bottom 10 with Ullmark in net.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
LOL. BS. This is what you said” "How about we celebrate instead?” Go back to #608. I even bolded it for you. We’re done here. This is beyond childish.
I posed that as a question. Do you notice the question mark at the end? Using a question mark denotes a suggestion, not a demand. You can feel how you feel, Cosmix can feel how they feel. Hell, I can feel how I feel. But sometimes people don't need to constantly hear negative shit all the time. How old are you exactly?

Reactions: albator71

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's a good start to the season, for sure. Guys had a lot of nervous energy and battled through it. Florida also has a bit of that post-Cup fatigue thing happening, and I don't blame them.

But a win is a win, and overall it was a good one to build on. October is a lot like preseason, where you can get some insights of the team, but also still need to let things shake out a bit to get a clear picture.

I think this is the first time in a long while where we don't have any catastrophic holes in the lineup. Sure, it would be nice to have a better bottom 6, or a better 3rd pairing...but most teams can say that. I do think we have the pieces right now to be a playoff team...we just have to get the consistency over the season to get there.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
It was mainly hammer and Klev getting stuck in the third period. I feel Florida being in game form is probably the toughest challenge they could get. We will find out around the 10 game mark what kind of team we have on our hands.

I am confident though that this team cant finish below bottom 10 with Ullmark in net.
Kleven made a few decent plays, but I can see where he as a rookie would be overwhelmed with that Florida forecheck. That forecheck overwhelmed seasoned teams in the playoffs last season. After being hemmed in a bit I saw him make one nice play where he stole a puck and circled back. I did't honestly see enough of the first period to get a good assessment on many players.

Reactions: BigRig4

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Just got back from the game. Another awesome experience being at the home opener. However, saw around 1,000 empty seats around the rink. Inflation must be hitting hard. Still a great game.

Ironically, those seats were likely people who could afford to pay for tickets and not use them.

There weren't many unsold tickets. There were lots of unsold secondary market tickets.

While the economy plays a part, I think the team needs to earn back the trust of the market place after failing to get to the next level for years. Last year was the "Melnyk is gone" honeymoon season. While it's not the fault of the new ownership that a team they had no part in building failed again, most fans aren't on HFBoards analyzing every move. They just see that the team sucked again even with Melnyk gone, and give up until they are good.

Considering how massive the arena is by NHL standards and how much of a commitment it is for most to go to Kanata on a week night, the attendance should be seen as a positive. It's like when we failed to sell a few hundred games to a playoff game on a long weekend and everybody lost their mind, without realizing our arena seats thousands more than most teams.

Reactions: SensFactor

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I don’t have much to contribute because I bought 300 tickets and promptly forgot my glasses - but the buzz in my section was just constantly about how Sanderson kept making nice play after nice play. He’s gonna join the Norris conversation this year I think.

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
This is the kind of game where if you are afraid of this being another season like last year, it doesn't help.

Florida was very clearly the better team after the first period, and it wasn't close.

With that said, there is no point in worrying. Just hope that it's growing pains with a new system and a high chance over rate, and that Ullmark can carry them to a respectable record until they get it.

I think it’s just the Panthers. We looked just like the NYR did against Florida last year… in the ECF. If not better. Shesterkin had to bail them out more than Ullmark did us tonight.

That team is a wagon. Having one good period, taking the lead and then trying to hold on will be what most teams try to do against them. Many will fail.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad