GDT: Game #1 of 82: Blues @ Avs - 8pm CT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
No doubt that playing vs. The Avs is about the worst matchup for Neal. Personally, I thought after last season that his career was through. He looked a little better during this season's pre-season. But skaters weren't really skating full out then. Personally, I think they might be better off putting a younger player with some upside in his roster spot. But, we'll see how he does early. I don't have a lot of hope that his play will be a plus for The Blues over a younger player like Kostin.
If Kostin can’t beat out the corpse of Neal for a spot, that doesn’t say much for him.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I’d rather have a physical 2 way player that plays his ass off than Tarasenko. I’m done with his lazy ass. No wonder nobody wanted him.

Maybe I was too hard on him. He did back check nicely a few times. That shows effort. It’s only game 1.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
We really struggle with goalie pulled, either for or against. With 2 goalies on ice we are so much better.
Except last year the Blues had 9 goals 6 on 5. It was bizarre because I don't remember them doing that before, and Hoffman was a large contributor there. But until proven otherwise, they do pretty well with the goalie pulled FOR. Its probably just our perceptions, but it feels like the Blues are one of the worst at getting ENG.

That said, I'll never forget how quickly Schenn got that empty netter in the Cup run. Spared me a lot of stress and heartburn.

Reactions: Brian39

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
You've been extremely low on Kostin for a long time, and that's fine you're welcome to your opinion. But saying the twenty-two year old was gift a spot, failed to take it, and barely made the team is just about the most pessimistic view one could possibly take.

Just because Kostin wasn't in the lineup opening night does not mean he isn't a good player and won't see plenty of games as the season goes on. It also doesn't mean he was "practically gifted" a spot (there was a ton of competition in camp this year) and it doesn't necessarily mean he barely made the team.

I frankly disagree with your assessment of Kostin as a player and think we need to be patient with him. He's 22 and on a NHL roster as a full time player for the first time in his career. Maybe let's wait and see how he does over a decent sample size before deciding he's not a good player?

You're right I've been low on him, but what I've been saying has been backed up by the guys around the team. He was given a chance early in preseason to play with regulars and very quickly fell down the lineup. JR has talked about how Joshua had a better camp and that the spot wasn't really earned. Hell, even Kostin himself admitting that he had a poor camp. There's obviously room for him to earn his way forward, and that's why he's still on the team, but it's a week after camp ended. It's not particularly likely that he's going to make a turnaround that quickly, and clamoring to put him in the lineup just doesn't help us when we're playing Neighbours as well.

I keep remembering last year when he was warm and coming off a championship; Berube wouldn't get him in until the games didn't matter, citing how he looked in practice. He needs to be better, before he cracks the lineup with any regularity. The much more likely move is to move Barbashev up and put Neal/Clifford on the 4th line instead.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm pretty pleased about the game on Saturday and I don't really agree with the comments that we got caved in. When the score was close in the 1st period we outplayed them at 5 on 5. Corsi was even, but shots were 11-5, high danger chances were 3-1 and xGF were .6-.26 all in our favor. We noticeably outplayed them in the 1st and went into the locker room with a 1-0 lead. The Avs had a strong start to the 2nd, but for the first half of the period didn't generate much quality against us. We limited cross crease opportunities and kept their shooters out wide. Then we scored 2 quick goals to make the game 3-0. Shots were 14-14 at the moment we went up 3-0.

It was then that Colorado started pouring shots and chances at our net, which is right in line with how score effects usually work. Call it turtling or whatever you want, but the reality of the NHL is that every team in the NHL stops taking offensive risks and the corsi/shot stats start getting ugly. Colorado dominated for about 9 minutes in the 2nd period, scored a goal and Binner limited the damage. They are arguably the best long-change team the league has ever seen and they have enough skill in the lineup that they are going to have 5-10 minutes bursts like that almost every night. If it stayed like that for 40 minutes, I'd be concerned. But it didn't. We regrouped at intermission and then clamped down for the 3rd period. We fully controlled play at 5 on 5 in the 3rd. Corsi was 11-5, fenwick was 9-5, scoring chances were 6-2, high danger chances were 2-1 and expected goals were .43-.33 all in our favor. Our PP looked fantastic on their first opportunity, generating numerous shots and scoring a goal to make it 4-1. We were in full control for the first 14 minutes of the period and then things went off the rails when they pulled the goalie.

Are there things to work on? Absolutely. Most importantly our D coverage when the opposition pulls the goalie. However, it isn't like we were hanging on for dear life all game and lucked into a win solely on the back of our goalie. Binner played great, but it wasn't a ludicrous performance. Top 10 starters play like that 20+ times a season and you need your goalie to bring his A or B+ game against a top offensive team. We were the better team at 5 on 5 for about 30 minutes last night, they were clearly the better team 5 on 5 for 10 minutes, it was even for about 10 minutes and then the rest of the game was special teams.

I'm not saying anyone should look at that game and say that we are better than the Avs. They were missing two top line players, but we also need to stop pretending like Colorado is a 1 line team and they are bad without them. Rantanen was a 104 point pace player last year. Burakovsky paced for 68 points from the 2nd line. Makar paced for 82 points last year. Take away all of MacKinnon and Landeskog's goals last season and they would have been 17th in goals scored without replacing them with anyone. That is still a playoff team without those two guys.

We just ended a 20 game streak where they hadn't lost in regulation in Colorado. We controlled well over half the game. Plenty of positives to take away from this one even if our play against an empty net needs major work.

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I'm not saying anyone should look at that game and say that we are better than the Avs. They were missing two top line players, but we also need to stop pretending like Colorado is a 1 line team and they are bad without them. Rantanen was a 104 point pace player last year. Burakovsky paced for 68 points from the 2nd line. Makar paced for 82 points last year. Take away all of MacKinnon and Landeskog's goals last season and they would have been 17th in goals scored without replacing them with anyone. That is still a playoff team without those two guys.

I don't think Colorado is a one line team and I have argued against it. But that one line is still essential to the team, with the other lines playing a supporting role. There is a difference between shutting down a team's first line and the team not even able to ice that line. If we shut down the Avs first line, we are putting all our emphasis on that line, which allows the other lines to feed on worse quality of competition.

Burakovsky got those points because he didn't go against the other team's best D as he was on the 2nd line. Makar and Rantanen got those points in part because they could get passes from or make passes to MacKinnon and Landeskog. You can't just take Landy and Mack's goals off the board and think that is their full effect off the team. If we need Binnington to bail us out against a Landy/Mack-less Avs, we are in trouble when they have them back. The only reason we beat them in regulation and snapped that streak is because we got a close call on the kick that could have easily gone the other way.

Its only the first game of the year, so it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. I'll take the win on the record and call it a win. But I am not taking away anything positive (or negative) about how we will match up against Colorado come playoff time.

Reactions: Brian39

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
You're right I've been low on him, but what I've been saying has been backed up by the guys around the team. He was given a chance early in preseason to play with regulars and very quickly fell down the lineup. JR has talked about how Joshua had a better camp and that the spot wasn't really earned. Hell, even Kostin himself admitting that he had a poor camp. There's obviously room for him to earn his way forward, and that's why he's still on the team, but it's a week after camp ended. It's not particularly likely that he's going to make a turnaround that quickly, and clamoring to put him in the lineup just doesn't help us when we're playing Neighbours as well.

I keep remembering last year when he was warm and coming off a championship; Berube wouldn't get him in until the games didn't matter, citing how he looked in practice. He needs to be better, before he cracks the lineup with any regularity. The much more likely move is to move Barbashev up and put Neal/Clifford on the 4th line instead.
Berube said Kostin was tired and worn down, understandable after a grueling KHL playoffs. Maybe that was just a kind way of saying he wasn't ready to play, but Berube is usually pretty blunt about stuff like that.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I don't think Colorado is a one line team and I have argued against it. But that one line is still essential to the team, with the other lines playing a supporting role. There is a difference between shutting down a team's first line and the team not even able to ice that line. If we shut down the Avs first line, we are putting all our emphasis on that line, which allows the other lines to feed on worse quality of competition.

Burakovsky got those points because he didn't go against the other team's best D as he was on the 2nd line. Makar and Rantanen got those points in part because they could get passes from or make passes to MacKinnon and Landeskog. You can't just take Landy and Mack's goals off the board and think that is their full effect off the team. If we need Binnington to bail us out against a Landy/Mack-less Avs, we are in trouble when they have them back. The only reason we beat them in regulation and snapped that streak is because we got a close call on the kick that could have easily gone the other way.

Its only the first game of the year, so it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. I'll take the win on the record and call it a win. But I am not taking away anything positive (or negative) about how we will match up against Colorado come playoff time.

To the bolded, I very much disagree with this stance. Binner was really good Saturday. He wasn't standing on his head bailing us out repeatedly in a game where you'd expect to allow 5 or 6 goals against with average goaltending. He wasn't very good on the 3rd goal scored with a pretty bad mis-read on a pass he thought was a shot. I'm not calling it a bad goal, but it is a save that gets made more often than not. The 2nd goal was fluky as hell and he had some great saves prior to the late surge by the Avs. He played like a good starter on Saturday, but he wasn't Hasek bailing out the Sabres. Our expected goals against was 2.82 in all situations. I don't think that is a perfect measurement of the shots he faced, but it helps paint the picture that you wouldn't expect a starter on his game to allow 5+ goals on the shots he faced Saturday. He was good, but this narrative that we were badly outplayed and saved by him isn't accurate. And the D did their job on that "lucky" call. Parayko fully tied up the stick and forced the Avs player to kick at a puck in the crease as the only avenue to try to score. That kicking motion in the crease is exactly what the league wants to prevent with the kicking rule and it was forced by Parayko.

I agree that there is zero takeaway for what a playoff matchup would look like (but there was absolutely no outcome that I'd feel has any bearing on how we may matchup vs them in the playoffs). My point is simply that I think there are a lot of positives to takeaway from a game where we were the better 5 on 5 team for 65-75% of the night. The Avs demolished the Hawks without MacKinnon. They jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead with a +15 attempt differential and then played a conservative 50/50 game after that. They went 6-1-1 without MacKinnon last year. Makar is a top 5-10 NHL D man with or without Mac/Landy. Rantanen is a top 20 NHL forward on his own and they have a strong middle 6 group. I get that the impact of those two is more than their goals on the board, but the other side of that coin is that you get some production from their fill ins when you remove them. They are the league's best offense at full strength and they aren't that without those two. I'm simply stating that they are still a pretty damn good offense without them.

Our play against an empty net and on the PK is very worrisome. Our defensive system seems incapable of defending good teams when they get an extra guy against us. It needs to be improved and it damn near cost us that game. But outside of that major issue, we outplayed a roster that comprises a good team. We didn't score 3 softies and then watch the Binner show. We scored 4 pretty strong goals, controlled the game for long stretches and got timely saves plus an A++ save from our $6M goalie. There are way more positives than negatives to take away from that game and I don't view this game as a "take the 2 points and throw the film in the trash" kind of night.

Last edited:

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
Except last year the Blues had 9 goals 6 on 5. It was bizarre because I don't remember them doing that before, and Hoffman was a large contributor there. But until proven otherwise, they do pretty well with the goalie pulled FOR. Its probably just our perceptions, but it feels like the Blues are one of the worst at getting ENG.

That said, I'll never forget how quickly Schenn got that empty netter in the Cup run. Spared me a lot of stress and heartburn.

One of the things that stuck out to me watching the end of the game was our poor face-off performance down the stretch. Being essentially a man short (but with an empty net to shoot at), coming out of the initial scrum with possession of the puck makes a huge difference. Even if the first action is to clear the puck out of the zone, now the opponent has to get the puck back into the zone. That's less than an effort with a less than 100% success rating.

But, when the opponent comes out with possession and with a 6 on 5 advantage, the equation changes a lot.

We did a poor job of winning those face-offs, at least from what I saw. That put us on defense as soon as the puck hit the ice, seemingly every time.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Was bow hunting all day Saturday and had to watch the game on Sunday.

Binnington made some crazy saves.

Parayko looked good.

Buchnevich had some looks and throws his body around but not recklessly. He's going to be good with this team.

Perron is like wine and just keeps getting better with age. The guy has a deadly wrist shot.

Tarasenko had some looks, missed the net bad once in front but he'll get his goals.

Kyrou making moves similar to Datsyuk in very tight places. He may lead the team this year in points.

Krug needs to make more of an impact but meh.. a win is a win

Neighbors played a good game for his first game ever. He looked a little nervous a couple of times but overall really solid. Could have had his 1st point on setting up Bozak. Still not sure if Bozak was surprised by the pass or what.

Barbashev looked really good and had lots of chances

Saad will compliment ROR and Perron for sure.

Faulk looked good too but I'm sure @Ranksu had some gripes

It's 2 points against the stupid Avs so on to the next one.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
We really struggle with goalie pulled, either for or against. With 2 goalies on ice we are so much better.
nj2goalie-582x420.jpg

Bold strategy. 4-on-5...with 2 netminders!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad