GDT: Game #1 of 82: Blues @ Avs - 8pm CT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Most of the forward lines did look good besides the 3rd, as others have said.

I imagine Neal will for sure play against his former team Vegas on Wednesday, so inserting Kostin for him on Monday night may not be a bad idea. The Coyotes are a bad team so maybe it’s an opportunity for Kostin to gain some confidence.

Reactions: BlueSeal

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Who wouldn't be? Winning the opener against one of the top 3 teams in The NHL on THEIR home ice 5,000 feet up in the air, while trying to integrate several new team members into the lineup........ I'll take a win like that, ANY time!

Amen, Brother!

Reactions: simon IC

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Glad the Blues won, but getting caved in against the Avs without 2/3rds of their top line is not exactly encouraging news. Hopefully we take it to Arizona on Monday.

Truth but what is encouraging is that they caved at a handicap but won by 2 goals. If we can do that against the Avs, then were in a VERY good place. Tinker with this as we go but we're on the right foot right now and we just need to capitalize.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Most of the forward lines did look good besides the 3rd, as others have said.

I imagine Neal will for sure play against his former team Vegas on Wednesday, so inserting Kostin for him on Monday night may not be a bad idea. The Coyotes are a bad team so maybe it’s an opportunity for Kostin to gain some confidence.

I agree. Start to work Kostin in over the season. Neal will work out for us provided everyone isn't looking for a PPG player out of him. As long as he does his job and strikes when he can, it'll be good. I wouldn't be trying to analyze anything after playing our first game against the Avs of all teams. This win is a confidence booster and I'm feeling good about where we're heading.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
It could be described best as a quick and deceptive *release*. I think it was the NHL network that did a great breakdown on it...essentially goalies don't know which side on the net he is shooting towards based on looking at his wrists.

Vladi has a quick and deceptive release. He does not have a *quick shot* nor is he a one-timer type of shooter.

I know that he doesn't shoot one-timers. To me, this is not a difference of opinion, just semantics. I meant that he has a quick release. The main idea is that the goalies can't get in position to block it because they don't know they need to get to the specific place where it is actually going.

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019
I know that he doesn't shoot one-timers. To me, this is not a difference of opinion, just semantics. I meant that he has a quick release. The main idea is that the goalies can't get in position to block it because they don't know they need to get to the specific place where it is actually going.
Unfortunately, most people don't understand these differences. I stand behind saying Vladi has a quick wrist and a deceptive release but I'll never say he has a quick shot.

I hope I've adequately defined what I mean.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I agree. Start to work Kostin in over the season. Neal will work out for us provided everyone isn't looking for a PPG player out of him. As long as he does his job and strikes when he can, it'll be good. I wouldn't be trying to analyze anything after playing our first game against the Avs of all teams. This win is a confidence booster and I'm feeling good about where we're heading.

Exactly this. There is no point microanalyzing everything that happens in the first game. Obviously we let our foot off the gas a bit in the 2nd and 3rd period, but we also scored 3 quick goals and put Colorado on their heels early in the game so I think everything balances out. Neal was somewhat underwhelming but as the 12th guy in the lineup I'm not expecting much. I also thought Barbashev played well enough to get bumped up to the 3rd line. Him, Kyrou, Buch and Perron stood out the most for me among the Blues forwards, plus having a solid vet like Bozak on the 4th line will be huge.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Parayko (27:26) and Scandella (26:12) played almost every other shift at 3rd period. They cant play full 82 games almost 30min a night. I don't know should we bring up Mikkola who could easy up PK load from Scandella. He played over 3min with Parayko even more at PK.

Krug - Faulk well really impressive at o-zone, not shocked at all, but defensively they both were in trouble. Binny saved their arses so many times.

Neal, why he is playing? I noticed one time at 2nd period when he had puck on him in 5sec. Slow, out of position. He drag down 3rd line. I literally feel bad for Thomas. Has to play with Neal and Tarasenko. Vlad look so lost, nothing what indicates he's back. Ofc it see clearly he hasn't played, but he looked sluggish too. Not skating and bursting. Zero hunger.

Kyrou - Buch does have chemistry.

Loved how good 2-way game Saad plays. He will be absolutelu huge steal and great addition for playing with ROR - Perron.

Code:
Saad - ROR - Perron
Buch - Schenn - Kyrou
Neigh - Thomas - Tarasenko
Kostin/(Joshua) - Bozak - Barbashev

Scandella - Parayko
Krug - Faulk
Mikkola - Bortuzzo

I would hold my horses, Avs didn't have their best guys playing,but win is huge vs. Avs.

Overally if Binny wouldn't be Binny we would get lose this game. He was monster.

We were garbage at FO circle. Guy like Joshua would be potential call-up. I can't see why Neal should play more games up. He didn't look like he belongs to NHL level. Not like his effort at all. Berube needs to suck it up. Neal is so much of Clifford imo minus he doesn't bring physical side. Neal was imo just warm body out there. That is difference between pre-season games vs. regular season games.

Faceoff Comparison

Neighbours should get more icetime vs. Neal. He reminds a lot of Oshie. Crashing and banging. Has offensive tools and willing to drive the game. My pick would be Neighbours should promote to 3rd line winger. He would bring needed speed and offensive tools to help Thomas. Its impossible to Thomas carry on Neal and Tarasenko. I see Vlad will slowly come back, but he needs time. Neal is done. imo. No matter its 1 game. Brouwer/Clifford type of player. Ugly. Got my whipping boy. Yeeah.

3 stars of the game:

★★★
Binny

★★
Kyrou, Buch, Saad, Perron

Parayko, Faulk, Krug, Scandella, Neighbours

Code:
Saad (17:00) - ROR (20:11) - Perron (17:07)
Buch (18:03) - Schenn (15:02) - Kyrou (13:59)
Neal (11:02) - Thomas (13:43) - Tarasenko (12:57)
Neigh (9:00) - Bozak (13:09) - Barbashev (14:41)

Scandella (26:12) - Parayko (27:26)
Krug (18:23) - Faulk (21:47)
Walman (11:24) - Bortuzzo (13:03)

JoernAZ

Bluenotes
Oct 19, 2018
I have now read through this, watched extended highlights and seen reviews of the game. My thoughts are as follwing:

*Binny played superbly. He stood out as we need him to, and more importantly, against division rivals.
*The synergy in the team looks solid. We may expect more from the 3rd line, but give them time. Playing with Thomas can be rough. His "overcreativness" demands linemates that know him.
*Special teams looked decent enough. Had hoped we were stronger late in the 3rd, but its something to work with.
*The supposedly defensive issues were not as visible really. However, we still need to improve. The Avs were without MacKinnon and Landeskog. Keep that in mind.

Overall, a solid win in my book, but the first real test will come in the next one where everyone expects us to win easily against the Coyotes. We HAVE messed up such games before, many times before.

On a sidenote, glad to see Birds winning their first one. Alexandrov, Perunovich and Brown all getting points. Toro, Joshua and Hofer dominating.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
How looks tarasenko so far? Is he need better linemates ?

It looked like his linemates need a better him.

He didn't look that bad, but he didn't impress either. Something still seemed a bit "off" about him. His shot was just a bit off the mark, he wasn't as strong on the puck as he could have been and he didn't make much happen offensively. But it's the first game and he is far from the only player in the league who looked a bit off in his first game. I could say the same things about Thomas and Neal, so let's hope that line looks a bit better next game.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
We won! No need for anyone to be doom and gloom about it.

Ok sure they were missing Mac and Landeskog. However, I think that is still a 7 or 8 seed playoff team without those guys. That’s a really great team when healthy.

To go on the road and grab a win in their barn is a tremendous way to start the season.

I don’t think anything was surprising in that game. The forwards we pretty good for the most part. The defense was very up and down. Binnington was a beast. This is the 2021-22 Blues. A playoff contender. Enjoy the win!

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
I’m surprised we didn’t get a thread on the main board complaining about that soccer goal. He obviously kicked it in but but but you gave it to Seattle!
Our defense is not looking good, got exposed during the 3rd by a half ahl team whose missing two of its best forwards.

Reactions: Ranksu

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
i think you'd classify last night as a shart. blues didn't poop their pants completely, but boy was it close.

glad they won and real nice to see the new parts in action. binny was great.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
If I hadn't watched the game and only read some of the posts here I'd thought we lost the game and will try to regroup in Arizona. One game folks, first game back. I'll withhold any judgements until game 10 to see directionally how this is working out. Until then, just enjoy that hockey is back in front of filled rinks.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
If I hadn't watched the game and only read some of the posts here I'd thought we lost the game and will try to regroup in Arizona. One game folks, first game back. I'll withhold any judgements until game 10 to see directionally how this is working out. Until then, just enjoy that hockey is back in front of filled rinks.

there was lots of good. We are going to score a lot of goals this year. We are loaded with 25g scorers.

Joshuar56

Apr 11, 2019
How looks tarasenko so far? Is he need better linemates ?
I didn't like a most of the line combinations honestly. We got some timely goals, but also got outplayed for large stretches of the game.
I would rather have seen Saad, Schenn, Tarasenko,
And then Perron, RoR, Buch. Then Thomas, Kyrou and who ever, Neal I guess, although Neighbors on that line would make it awfully interesting.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
It could be described best as a quick and deceptive *release*. I think it was the NHL network that did a great breakdown on it...essentially goalies don't know which side on the net he is shooting towards based on looking at his wrists.

Vladi has a quick and deceptive release. He does not have a *quick shot* nor is he a one-timer type of shooter.

Being a “one-timer type of shooter” requires a one-timer set-up. When he’s been set-up for one timers, he’s done pretty well. He is known for his quick shot. The strength behind that shot has decreased in recent years, but a quick release is the very definition of a quick shot.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
And am I allowed to say this?

I have kind of crush on Saad. If he continues to play like this 2-way game and doesn't never give up 1on1 battles. He might become my new fav Bluenote.

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
Blues after 1 game: 2 points
Blackhawks after 3 games: 1 point

michael-jordan-cry.gif

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
And am I allowed to say this?

I have kind of crush on Saad. If he continues to play like this 2-way game and doesn't never give up 1on1 battles. He might become my new fav Bluenote.

Yes, you are allowed to say that. I'm extremely happy with our forward pickups this offseason. As well as Neighbors.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Hopefully Neighbors will get promoted 3rd line. Neal popcorn guy and Kostin or Joshua in.
+top 4 LHD+Kostin+Sunny
-Tarasenko -Neal

Saad-RoR-Perron
Kyrou-Schenn-Buch
Neighbors-Thomas-Kostin
Barbie-Bozak-Sunny

LHD-Parayko
Krug-Faulk
Scandella-Bortuzzo

Or Balance out the D and put Krug with a more defensive Defender. Faulk can play with any of the LHD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad