GDT: Game 1 - Avs @ Knights - Rockstar Rookie Revue - 8PM

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
What "solid" players were on PTOs? I can't really think of anyone who would've been a clear upgrade over what the Avs have right now.

Please list these players.
Sam Gagner :sarcasm:

This discussion started last night, but I think it is perfectly plausible that Toews a few years ago had the capability to cover for a few of Makar's shortcomings to the point where we didn't know they existed. Now that Toews is starting to regress, those shortcomings are becoming evident. This could very easily be the case, and wouldn't be unheard of. It is probably early to exclaim that it is, but evidence is mounting. Another season of it would convince me.
It could be the other way around. Toews' regression forces Makar to pay more attention to him and affects his game negatively.

Toews' contract is on year 1 of 7 BTW.

• Haha
Reactions: Pokecheque

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Sam Gagner :sarcasm:

It could be the other way around. Toews' regression forces Makar to pay more attention to him and affects his game negatively.

Makar is a world star. And can't possibly have peaked early. It's everyone else who is regressing.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Certainly could, but in either case the impact is there and those two are not currently the top defensive pairing in the league like they were ~3 years ago. No matter what it is, if this continues, expectations should be adjusted.

The Avs have hitched themselves to a lot term with guys exiting their prime. This is going to be all over this roster.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Certainly could, but in either case the impact is there and those two are not currently the top defensive pairing in the league like they were ~3 years ago.

The Avs have hitched themselves to a lot term with guys exiting their prime. This is going to be all over this roster.
Toews isn't as reliable as he was (that is, bad games happens to him, those didn't use to happen). But I wouldn't jump to conclusions of how he does in the first few games of the season, let alone a seven year contract.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Toews isn't as reliable as he was (that is, bad games happens to him, those didn't use to happen). But I wouldn't jump to conclusions of how he does in the first few games of the season, let alone a seven year contract.
I've expressed this view for years at this point, not just last night. It certainly could change and be better the rest of the year. Last night simply fits the trend we have seen over the last couple, and that's where the real concern is.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I've expressed this view for years at this point, not just last night. It certainly could change and be better the rest of the year. Last night simply fits the trend we have seen over the last couple, and that's where the real concern is.
In my opinion he has been mostly at the very least fine over the last couple of years.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
On a bright side, the next 10 games in October are winnable games including 4 game home stand starting Saturday. If we can go like 6-4 in that stretch, it would be good, then we should get Lehky back

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
He’s still excellent… he’s just clearly regressed from arguably a top 10 guy. That doesn’t mean he’s not a great player… he’s just not 21-22 Toews anymore.
He truly was playing/performing like a true #1 Dman back then.

I think it's obvious he's taken a step back but I'm not complaining...yet. The one hope I have is that he was a late bloomer and has been relatively healthy. I'm hoping that allows his decline to be much more drawn out slower that the average dman. I'm hoping he's good for 4 of these 7 years.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
On a bright side, the next 10 games in October are winnable games including 4 game home stand starting Saturday. If we can go like 6-4 in that stretch, it would be good, then we should get Lehky back
Is any game really winnable when your goaltending tandem has a .650 Sv%.

I mean, small sample size and all but both our guys are in the top 3 for highest GAA in the league already with 7.86 for Justus and 7.50 for Georgiev. It was a night I hope both netminders wad up and throw away. Start the season anew on Saturday.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What’s wrong with it? He’s had two years to find a replacement for Landy. Do you truly think Landy is coming back at this point, despite 0 timetable? And if he does, can we expect much from him after being off so long? I agree his hands were tied with Nuke and Leky, but he also did have all off season knowing they wouldn’t be ready for at least a month. Like I said earlier, there were quite a few solid players attending camps on PTO’s, yet he brings in Bellemare.
It doesn’t matter how we think he’s going to come back. He wants to come back… unless your plan is that trade Landy or buy him out he has to be accounted for. Same with Nuke, he’s essentially un tradeable and buying him out isn’t an option. So he also has to be accounted for. What would your plans be to deal with the those two and how would improve the roster?

Last edited:

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland

I mean, small sample size and all but both our guys are in the top 3 for highest GAA in the league already with 7.86 for Justus and 7.50 for Georgiev. It was a night I hope both netminders wad up and throw away. Start the season anew on Saturday.
It is too small sample size to really make any conclusions. It is unfortunate it was the first game of the season, but anyway, too small sample size.

Every single game of this season are winnable. NHL is so even series that the same is true for _all_ of the teams. There will be for sure games, I'd say already in October, where you will scratch your head and think "How did they win that one?". It is not about who you win on your best night. It is more about how well you can avoid losing streaks. Playoffs will be a different world, although there too you will fail to predict the correct series winners.

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

I mean we did score 4 goals and in most games that’s enough to win. We’re playing a lot of weaker teams coming up, so if we get little bit better goaltending and better defensive games from Toews and Makar, we should win few games. That’s why I’m not saying we gonna go like 8-2 or 7-3 the next 10 games, but I’ll take a 6-4 record considering all the guys we’re missing. If we continue getting shitty goaltending and bad defense, it’s possible we go sub 500, but that shouldn’t happen

Last edited:
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
I barely even see the point of evaluating individual performances when Georsieve is having a night for the ages like he did last night. The team won’t play to its full potential until it believes in the guy in goal. Bednar p***yfooting around it by sneaking an “oh yeah and we also totally need a few saves” in between his critiques of team play speaks very loudly

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I mean we did score 4 goals and in most games that’s enough to win. We’re playing a lot of weaker teams coming up, so if we get little bit better goaltending and better defensive games from Toews and Makar, we should win few games. That’s why I’m not saying we gonna go like 8-2 or 7-3 the next 10 games, but I’ll take a 6-4 record considering all the guys we’re missing. If we continue getting shitty goaltending and bad defense, it’s possible we go sub 500, but that shouldn’t happen
6-4 seems reasonable, but how easy it is is oversold by quite a bit. 5 or 6 of the next 10 are toss up sorts of games. Tampa, Utah, Boston, NYI and Seattle are all teams none of us should be shocked to lose to, especially with the issues up front (even more so with the issues in net). The other 4 teams... the Avs lost to 3 of the 4 last season. Not unreasonable to think they drop one they probably shouldn't there. Going into November around ~.550-.575 wouldn't be surprising at all.

Reactions: the_fan

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
It doesn’t matter how we think he’s going to come back. He wants to come back… unless your plan is that trade Landy or buy him out he has to be accounted for. Same with Nuke, he’s essentially un tradeable and buying him out isn’t an option. So he also has to be accounted for. What would your plans be to deal with the those two and how would improve the roster?
I would have put Landy on LTIR and utilized that cap space to try and find a 2nd line F option, as I truly don’t think he’s coming back, and if he does, after two years off and a serious injury, I can’t imagine he’ll be a true impact player. I hope he is as he’s awesome and a great guy, but it seems like a long shot. I’m not sure anything can be done about Nuke, I agree with that. I’d have tried hard to bring a guy like Pacioretty in for this season on a PTO or 1 year deal. Can still play top 9 minutes and if he stays healthy, should be a 15 goal guy or so. Even Phil Kessel would be a decent guy to fill a role.

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I don’t know how the Avs can fix the goaltending during this season. To do that they have to trade Georgiev and find someone who’s actually an upgrade and a legit #1 goalie. We might have to ride this season with Georgiev then he’s gone as his contract expires. We find someone in the offseason

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
I don’t know how the Avs can fix the goaltending during this season. To do that they have to trade Georgiev and find someone who’s actually an upgrade and a legit #1 goalie. We might have to ride this season with Georgiev then he’s gone as his contract expires. We find someone in the offseason
Might not make the playoffs if that's the case

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad