GDT: Game 1 - Avs @ Knights - Rockstar Rookie Revue - 8PM

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
We can’t even use the workload excuse now.

It was the first game of the season and we complete and utter shit.

He’s broken beyond repair.
It's been like that for a long time but we keep going and expect something else.

From the outside, it looks like constant defense of George. Every turn (seemingly but likely hyperbole), something isn’t his fault. It might be management. Might be Bednar. Might be whatever scrub made a mistake. It might be the team sucks. It’s almost never George. It is right to something else to deflect away from how bad George is playing. Even the you don’t get better goaltending for the money line… many teams have paid less and are getting better goaltending than the Avs.
We know he's broken. Are you going to be mad at the guy for sucking all year? Game after game? It's not going to get better.

No one here was screaming as loud as me for the team to get Askarov or any other cheap goaltender with upside.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Rightfully a lot of doom and gloom about this game, but I still thought there were some positives to take from it.
- Ivan looked like a legit 4th liner and the best player on his line.
- Kovalenko looked like a solid middle six option. He made some eye popping passes and if he can get close to the Lehkonen tenacity he’s gonna be a great player to have.
- The third pair was mostly invisible, which is actually a huge positive. If they can get play 14-16 and maintain that they’ll be a huge lift on our back end.

Again, brutal loss but at least there were some intriguing positives.

Reactions: RECKLESS

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I turned it off after George got pulled. f***ing waste. I really can't stand George. Bottom 3 and likely worst starter in the league.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It's been like that for a long time but we keep going and expect something else.

We know he's broken. Are you going to be mad at the guy for sucking all year? Game after game? It's not going to get better.

No one here was screaming as loud as me for the team to get Askarov or any other cheap goaltender with upside.

Expecting George to play at a replacement NHL level shouldn't be asking the world. He clearly has the talent to be better than under .700. If he can't though, the expectation of finding a different answer in net shouldn't be unreasonable either. Just because something isn't expected to change, doesn't mean we should just accept and gloss over it either.

You did that with Askarov specifically (who isn't NHL ready and wouldn't be helping us today), but last night the line was paying a goalie a similar amount isn't going to result in anything different.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Aside from the goalies, Parker Kelly was the worst Av tonight to my eyes. Butter soft everywhere, when I did notice him it was usually for a halfhearted effort on the forecheck or along the boards. Bednar will be seething at some of those plays. Ivan at least has an excuse for looking lost, Kelly has like 200 games of NHL experience and his selling point is being an "energy guy".

I didn't notice him even once during the whole game.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
The problem with goaltending is there's no available goalie on the market. Hell there's not even a good UFA for next year. We need to let Annunen try and run with it, we know Fourgiev isn't the answer. Annunen might or might not be the answer but we won't know until we let him try.

I didn't notice him even once during the whole game.
I thought Drouin had a real quiet game as well.

AVSfan2daMAX

Nov 24, 2006
Georgiev is now a known quantity. Find out what you have in Annunen and address the position by the trade deadline.

Pissing away a prime MacKinnon year on AHL level goaltending is unacceptable. Especially cause Georgiev isn't even likeable. If he at least battled in the net and gave off positive body language you could rally behind him. But instead, he just mopes and smacks his stick. Mikko's comments last night are pretty telling of what they think of their "starter".

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Expecting George to play at a replacement NHL level shouldn't be asking the world.
I disagree. It's your fault if you expect anything else than what we got in the last several months. This is Jack Campbell territory, if not worse.

You did that with Askarov specifically (who isn't NHL ready and wouldn't be helping us today), but last night the line was paying a goalie a similar amount isn't going to result in anything different.
I'm mad at the team for cheaping out on goaltending while they no longer have the team to do it. If they try to take a backup from another team again and make them their starter they are in for another bad surprise.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I disagree. It's your fault if you expect anything else than what we got in the last several months. This is Jack Campbell territory, if not worse.

I'm mad at the team for cheaping out on goaltending while they no longer have the team to do it. If they try to take a backup from another team again and make them their starter they are in for another bad surprise.
Like you wanted us to do… with Askarov?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

It is probably worse than Campbell just without the contract implications. Just because George is terrible, doesn't mean we should accept it. It is like if you broke your leg and you just left the bone hanging out.

Askarov was the #3 who lost the net in the playoffs on the AHL team. That's who you were pining for.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Rightfully a lot of doom and gloom about this game, but I still thought there were some positives to take from it.
- Ivan looked like a legit 4th liner and the best player on his line.
- Kovalenko looked like a solid middle six option. He made some eye popping passes and if he can get close to the Lehkonen tenacity he’s gonna be a great player to have.
- The third pair was mostly invisible, which is actually a huge positive. If they can get play 14-16 and maintain that they’ll be a huge lift on our back end.

Again, brutal loss but at least there were some intriguing positives.
I thought the team played pretty well to be honest. Outside of those two back to back rush goals I thought we didn't give them much defensively either.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You guys are forgetting that we’re missing 3 great two way wingers who are 3 of the best defensive forwards in the league. No team can over come that
The Avs played well enough to win so, yeah they can. They just need the goaltending. And the mistakes that Toews made would still have been made with those guys on the ice.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Aside from the goalies, Parker Kelly was the worst Av tonight to my eyes. Butter soft everywhere, when I did notice him it was usually for a halfhearted effort on the forecheck or along the boards. Bednar will be seething at some of those plays. Ivan at least has an excuse for looking lost, Kelly has like 200 games of NHL experience and his selling point is being an "energy guy".
Truly forgot he was on the ice.

Kiviranta at least hilariously tried toe dragging anyone who dared approach him in the offensive zone.

Reactions: Murzu

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
f*** 4Giev man. When he let's in dog shit goals every game it deflates the team. They start playing different because they don't have any trust in him

Reactions: Metallo

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I thought Ritchie was pretty poor if I’m being honest.

I counted at least three turnovers at our blue line on the breakout, with very little offensive flash to make up for them.
Right now I don't really see any part of his game that translates to the NHL level. I suspect he needs another year in junior and a couple in the A.

Considering how poorly he lines up with our contending window best move for all involved might be shipping him out at the deadline for help.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I thought the team played pretty well to be honest. Outside of those two back to back rush goals I thought we didn't give them much defensively either.

I wouldn’t say they played bad, but there were a ton of negatives. Shaky goaltending, inconsistent defensive efforts (particularly up top), invisible to bad bottom lines, I could go on. The point is, they played decent, but there were poor efforts in goals that need to be cleaned up.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Askarov is on ELC and projects to be a good starter
I mean there’s plenty to argue that Grub and George had the skill sets to be starters in the league when we acquired them. I just find it funny how much your pushing getting backups is a flawed strategy and your solution has been to acquire a goalie who hasn’t been that great in the AHL and hasn’t even been a backup in the NHL yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad