Bob Dylan met a Sabre in the elevator at Prague.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
That's a pretty reductive attempted swipe.

Dylan's last #1 album on the US Billboard charts was in 2009, and his 2020 album hit #2.

I'm not a boomer, but have been listening to Dylan all my life (like, starting in the womb).
I’m not a boomer either. Rough & Rowdy Ways was one of the more moving records I’ve heard in years.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Green

Nov 13, 2019
The fact a current NHL player randomly recognized Bob Dylan in an everyday setting is actually unbelievable
To be fair they may have gotten word Bob Dylan was in town and staying at their hotel and did a google search to see what he looked like and I am sure it was some 5 star boutique hotel so it is not a stretch to see him in there

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Wow, I'm impressed a gen Z/millennial NHLer recognized him. I'm a millennial myself but I don't think more than a handful of my friends could pick the guy out of a line-up.
Not a big music fan, huh? I don't like Bob Dylan's boring music but I would sure as hell instantly recognize him on the street.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Was Reimer still a Sabre then? He’s an ‘88. Tough to picture any other player on that team being hip to Bob Dylan off the top of my head.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Bob Dylan fans are of all ages. He's not what he used to be but young players recognizing an all timer is not that weird. I'm more surprised Bob Dylan used twitter, did not know that :>

As for my personal experience with Bob Dylan, he is the least interested artist I've ever seen on stage and I've seen well over a thousand concerts in my life.

He absolutely did not care. And that was 18 years ago.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Come on Bob - the guy offered you free tickets so you could have at least asked for his name. Who knows - it might have been somebody in Management and not even a player. :dunno:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
As for my personal experience with Bob Dylan, he is the least interested artist I've ever seen on stage

Which doesn't exclude that he may have been interesting.

That said, the reviews of his Prague concerts (three, I think) were mixed here. Allegedly especially the accompanying band wasn't very good. And, yeah, Dylan reportedly was seated facing the audience behind a big piano, so the audience practically didn't see him at all. That's what winning the Nobel Prize for Literature does to you. (One of his successors to be announced later today.)

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If you wanna hear songs exactly as they were recorded just open Spotify and press play. Those are his songs. He has every right to play them in any form he feels. It’s not like him remolding them is a surprise to anyone. He’s been doing so for half a century.

I never understood people who go see an artist and complain that he’s doing artsy thing. That’s why tribute bands exist.

Sure. And if you paid to watch your favorite team play hockey and they decided to starfish around on the ice like ray gunn and shoot the puck into their own net. Why be mad? Just find old games on YouTube and press play.

Would you be mad if you paid to watch goalie just sit in his net and make no effort to stop the puck?

Who are you to expect a paid performer to provide some semblance of the level/product they sell themselves as?

AzHawk

Dec 20, 2015
I went 2 years ago and his set was the worst hour of my life.

Why he refused to play any popular songs, and when he did he did odd piano remixes that had no resemblance to the songs that were great.
Incredibly disappointing

He has been doing exactly that for decades. I get that it surprises people because typically no other musician they've seen does it, but there are endless accounts exactly like this.

Last edited:

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
About the most HF thing there is. A Sabre player happens to meet Bob Dylan in an elevator. The thread gets filled with posts mocking either Buffalo or Dylan or both. Almost funny even.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Which doesn't exclude that he may have been interesting.

That said, the reviews of his Prague concerts (three, I think) were mixed here. Allegedly especially the accompanying band wasn't very good. And, yeah, Dylan reportedly was seated facing the audience behind a big piano, so the audience practically didn't see him at all. That's what winning the Nobel Prize for Literature does to you. (One of his successors to be announced later today.)

I'll let you know that it wasnt very interesting for the audience either. I'm not even joking when I say that once I left the concert after about an hour and a half, at least a third, probably more, had already done so lol. The papers were not nice to him the following day lol.

I mean, I am glad I managed to see him perform.. A legend after all.
I'm also equally glad that I know I wont be paying any money in the future to do so again. Because it was an absolute waste of time.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
If you wanna hear songs exactly as they were recorded just open Spotify and press play. Those are his songs. He has every right to play them in any form he feels. It’s not like him remolding them is a surprise to anyone. He’s been doing so for half a century.

I never understood people who go see an artist and complain that he’s doing artsy thing. That’s why tribute bands exist.
Agree with your general point, but they’re actually not his songs anymore. He sold out - sold his entire catalog to some soulless private equity company.

I saw him play a show in 2009. His voice sounded terrible but I still loved every second of it.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I met a, sharp man on an elevator
I won’t give you his name
I said “what’s going down?”
He said hockey was his game

“Hurricane?” I asked, one of my better songs
I’m a Sabre, that man said,
And I best be moving along

*harmonica intensifies*

• Haha