GDT: G4: VAN @ MIN - 7 PM Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Agree...but I think LaPanta's point is that Rossi has to earn his minutes before he puts players like Jost or Steel on the 4th line.

Yeah and then you realize Rossi did more in the preseason to earn the minutes in the top six than Jost or Steel did, and then you realize that argument sucks

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Pretty sure the thing that did Rossi in early was his turnover on the PP in game 1. He had a lot of room in front of him but instead went for a blind bounce pass off the boards, went directly to the opposing defender and then NY got a rush, zone time, and a high danger chance. It was one of those plays where he clearly just wanted to move the puck for the sake of moving it, and wasn’t actually processing what was happening around him. He is going to make rookie mistakes like anybody, but that was a mistake that was a direct result of him just not wanting the puck on his stick, a coach isn’t going to like that kind of turnover.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
For what it's worth:

Zuccarello's first 5 games in the NHL as a 23 year old amounted to 0 goals, 1 secondary PP assist and was a -2 playing >16 minutes in 3 of the 5 games (looks like he got hurt or benched in game 3)

He did stay out of the box though, and had a very good 6th game.

For what it's worth.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Agree...but I think LaPanta's point is that Rossi has to earn his minutes before he puts players like Jost or Steel on the 4th line.

I agree that was Lapanta's point, but his logic is flawed if he's using those guys as the baseline. I have thought that Steel has been pretty horrible, and Jost only slightly better, they haven't earned shit either.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I agree that was Lapanta's point, but his logic is flawed if he's using those guys as the baseline. I have thought that Steel has been pretty horrible, and Jost only slightly better, they haven't earned shit either.
The GM went and acquired both of those players while Rossi was already in the system, a coach is obviously going to follow the GMs lead and give them at least a chance. It won’t kill any of these guys to rotate around, all 3 are skilled players with potential to do well in the league, it’s good competition that should keep all 3 motivated. Rossi is getting an opportunity tonight, it’s on him to step up and show that he belongs in this spot, I hope that he does.

Reactions: BagHead

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Prioritizing Jost and Steel will never make sense to me. These aren’t guys that will be quality NHLers for any extended period of time. I feel like they’re constantly trying to create more Hartman-type resurgence players off these reclamation projects and it’s not my favorite stradegy. I’d wager that neither Jost or Steel are even in this team next year. Why are we making Rossi work for a spot he already earned over these guys?

Reactions: Blue Ox and AKL

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The GM went and acquired both of those players while Rossi was already in the system, a coach is obviously going to follow the GMs lead and give them at least a chance. It won’t kill any of these guys to rotate around, all 3 are skilled players with potential to do well in the league, it’s good competition that should keep all 3 motivated. Rossi is getting an opportunity tonight, it’s on him to step up and show that he belongs in this spot, I hope that he does.

I think competition is good, I think we all agree with that, but you can't turn a blind eye to the fact that Rossi won that competition in preseason despite Jost and Steel getting the better of the opportunities.

I don't know, maybe Dean thought that fourth line could still play that well once the season started and Steel/Jost could fill in for the time being in the top six?

Either way, it all boils down to: I'm glad Rossi is getting the opportunity now, hopefully he can run with it and never look back.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
This is such a tough game for me. I like the team and I like the guys on the team but if them losing 10 in a row gets Evason fired I’m rooting against them firmly. Evason is just terrible. This bullshit he pulled with Rossi has made him dead to me.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Yeah and then you realize Rossi did more in the preseason to earn the minutes in the top six than Jost or Steel did, and then you realize that argument sucks

MAF had a .971 sv% in the preseason too... Preseason is garbage.

Reactions: Wild11MN

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Preseason is the only place we have to compare those three players on somewhat equal footing, so even if you think it's garbage (and I'd say you're right in that), it's still relevant to this discussion.

Reactions: TaLoN

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I think competition is good, I think we all agree with that, but you can't turn a blind eye to the fact that Rossi won that competition in preseason despite Jost and Steel getting the better of the opportunities.

I don't know, maybe Dean thought that fourth line could still play that well once the season started and Steel/Jost could fill in for the time being in the top six?

Either way, it all boils down to: I'm glad Rossi is getting the opportunity now, hopefully he can run with it and never look back.
Hard to say it was a clear victory, Steel was also very good and productive in preseason. The team was also performing really well with each of the lines, it would have been weird to immediately attempt to change something that looked to be working, especially when they spent the entire training camp working on chemistry. It’s also generally not considered a good idea to start two rookies on the same line, Boldy has shown himself capable of carrying his own line, but there were some possible questions on that before the games were actually played.

My main point in all this is that patience is needed, the start of the season always sees lots of roster movement until guys settle into their roles, if Rossi truly deserves the ice time, I do not doubt that he will get it by season end.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Not sure if serious.

I thought it was pretty adorable, but maybe I've been made soft by having a tiny daughter myself.
Not serious, though knowing which player is singing to which babies does feel like tearing down a wall that should probably just stay intact.

Reactions: BagHead

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
This is such a tough game for me. I like the team and I like the guys on the team but if them losing 10 in a row gets Evason fired I’m rooting against them firmly. Evason is just terrible. This bullshit he pulled with Rossi has made him dead to me.
I think it’s obvious Guerin who is behind most of this. Seems clear he is building a culture here where young guys have to really earn a spot and I don’t think Rossi is quite good enough to be an exception to that.

We saw it with Addison and Boldy and I think we will continue to see it. It’s annoying but it does make sense when you consider the quantity and quality of our prospect pool.

I do think this stubbornness cost us that series against Vegas in ‘21 when we didn’t even give Boldy a look

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think it’s obvious Guerin who is behind most of this. Seems clear he is building a culture here where young guys have to really earn a spot and I don’t think Rossi is quite good enough to be an exception to that.

We saw it with Addison and Boldy and I think we will continue to see it. It’s annoying but it does make sense when you consider the quantity and quality of our prospect pool.

I do think this stubbornness cost us that series against Vegas in ‘21 when we didn’t even give Boldy a look
We did? Boldy was put directly onto a top 6 scoring line. Addison has been put directly onto the #1 PP unit.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
We did? Boldy was put directly onto a top 6 scoring line. Addison has been put directly onto the #1 PP unit.
Huh?

Addison is just finally getting his chance after being a top AHL defenseman for two years.

Boldy wasn’t given any NHL looks in 20-
21 and then they sent him back to Iowa last fall after the injury for 10 games in what felt like an excessively cautious rehab stint.

It’s clear Guerin likes them a bit overripe and Rossi probably was never going to be an exception.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Huh?

Addison is just finally getting his chance after being a top AHL defenseman for two years.

Boldy wasn’t given any NHL looks in 20-
21 and then they sent him back to Iowa last fall after the injury for 10 games in what felt like an excessively cautious rehab stint.

It’s clear Guerin likes them a bit overripe and Rossi probably was never going to be an exception.

Boldy got injured (again) while in Iowa after 6 or 7 games. MN was also in the middle of an 8 game win streak during his 1st injury rehab stint.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Tonight they'll celebrate Goligoski's 1,000th game. But Merrill is ready, so the gift from the Wild will be a seat in the press box on Saturday :laugh:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
For established players, ya, but for those trying to make the team it's pretty damn important. It's that, and what they do in camp. I mean, what else is there?

I am pretty sure that Guerin was just dumpster diving with Steel, and wants Evason to give him a few more games before he exposes him to waivers, similar to Pitlick.

Not serious, though knowing which player is singing to which babies does feel like tearing down a wall that should probably just stay intact.
Misogynist Bastard.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Tonight’s option.

99029-E07-3486-4-C22-9-E71-CB71139-B3413.jpg

Happy to see Jost and Steel away from anyone who has expectations on any given night. Still do not see the need for them to be in the lineup after the game Shaw and Dewar just had. Those two will never play as fast and aggressive as Shaw and Dewar just played so do not see the purpose of icing them on the 4th line. They are pressbox, waiver material.

Having to assume Fleury can’t get much worse. Or can he?

I certainly like that Rossi is being given a look with requisite talent but I don’t think he was overly impressive to point. But Boldy is a star in the making in my view and needs someone to find a home alongside him.

Reactions: MNRube

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Tonight’s option.

99029-E07-3486-4-C22-9-E71-CB71139-B3413.jpg

Happy to see Jost and Steel away from anyone who has expectations on any given night. Still do not see the need for them to be in the lineup after the game Shaw and Dewar just had. Those two will never play as fast and aggressive as Shaw and Dewar just played so do not see the purpose of icing them on the 4th line. They are pressbox, waiver material.

Having to assume Fleury can’t get much worse. Or can he?

I certainly like that Rossi is being given a look with requisite talent but I don’t think he was overly impressive to point. But Boldy is a star in the making in my view and needs someone to find a home alongside him.
Couldn’t agree more. Jost especially. He’s weak on the puck and his draft pedigree can only allure GMs for so long. Classic tweener who isn’t providing anything we can’t get from Dewar or Shaw.

Steel at least looks capable of filling in on a scoring line, even if rest of his game is underwhelming. His poise with the puck is obvious but like Jost he isn’t going to play the egoless game we can get from Shaw or Dewar.

There’s also the fact that we have a lot of smallish players and almost all our forwards are LH. Hard to find a fit

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Congrats to Alex Goligoski on 1000 games! Might be my personal favorite Gopher defenseman to watch, while never the most physically gifted, he has always seen the ice so well. Watching him read the breakouts up close was very insightful, his whole freshman year was pretty incredible. Known for being a great teammate and professional, 1000 NHL games is a great milestone.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Gonna miss at least the first half of the 1st period. Expect Rossi to do something spectacular since I won’t be able to see it live,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad