G Yaroslav Askarov (2020, 11th, NSH; traded to SJS) - PART 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
It's not. Won't be waiver eligible until 2026 so he has two more years in the AHL. Teams hardly ever hand a free goalie slot to waiver eligible goalies so I don't think a trade would change anything.

I've identified zero progress in his positioning though over last season so maybe a change of goalie coach would be a good idea. Askarov can't keep on losing his net. That's also part of what temporarily lost him his AHL starter gig.
I do agree with you here. This is why I think they are considering Saros long term.

I remember being roasted a few years back, but I thought Askarov had significant gaps to being an NHL goaltender and I am not certain those gaps have closed enough.

Having said that.. Nasville could get a 1st rounder on raw tools alone and another team might find the magic elixir and it works out for all parties.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Except Saros is 29 and Markstrom 34.
8 year contract will have Saros’s deal on the books while this team is rebuilding. Markstrom is a bit of an outlier, players don’t usually get better after 30. And ok, sure go all in on Saros - that’s not even my main issue.

My issue is they have a blue chip prospect goalie who’s stuck in the minors with no path to the net. They’re mishandling him if they don’t trade him or name him backup

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
8 year contract will have Saros’s deal on the books while this team is rebuilding. Markstrom is a bit of an outlier, players don’t usually get better after 30. And ok, sure go all in on Saros - that’s not even my main issue.

My issue is they have a blue chip prospect goalie who’s stuck in the minors with no path to the net. They’re mishandling him if they don’t trade him or name him backup
Well they can't just name Askarov backup, no matter what. I think they'll probably bring Grosenick back as backup in Milwaukee, and then Ethan Haider will be the #4/5 guy challenging Grosenick or playing in ECHL Atlanta. But they need to sign another UFA goalie no matter what.

#2/3 spots are open... Askarov could be #2 or could be #3 on the organization depth chart. But if he's going to be #2, he has to earn it by beating out the #3 guy (a newly signed UFA) in Training Camp. Given he couldn't completely beat out the #4 guy (Grosenick) this past season, it's not at all certain he can take the #2 spot. Nevertheless, he has the opportunity, it's up to him.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He still led the leagues in shots against and saves and was 5th in Vezina voting. He's 29 and just had three great years in a row before this one. Why wouldn't we double down on him?
Well, if it is an 8 year deal he will be 38-39 when it is done. Vezina voting is often done on reputation, and Saros has a vg one, but, you can't deny that it is worrying to sign a player to a long term contract that doesn't begin until he is 30 yo, or that his stats have taken a nosedive last year compared to previous ones.

Reactions: Leafshater67

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Seems weird to be doubling down on Saros when he had his worst year ever.
Considering his career would also be weird risking losing him for nothing after 1 down year. Not like his new contract was an ask for the moon and the stars.

Also, he was 7/27 between goalies in the playoffs in goals saved above expected, so there was a nice little reassurance at the end there.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
No, he wasn't... Vegas would have gotten paid if he was a cap dump.

Montreal was just given a 2nd to take Laine... That is way closer to a cap dump.
Hey, if you want an injury prone declining 30 year old 2C signed until the end of time, go for it. I don't think most teams would take Hertl for free right now.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Hey, if you want an injury prone declining 30 year old 2C signed until the end of time, go for it. I don't think most teams would take Hertl for free right now.
I was just saying the value he got SJ makes him NOT a cap dump.

A cap dump doesn't get that.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I was just saying the value he got SJ makes him NOT a cap dump.

A cap dump doesn't get that.

...which is why Grier is a good GM. The Hertl trade was fantastic, and using those pieces for potentially a franchise goalie (which we badly need) is good, actually. I recognize he still has a lot of work to do but it's a very worthy gamble for a 3rd/4th line center and probably like a 15-16 pick.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019

1 He is not injury prone
2 30 years still leaves a lot of years of good hockey.
3 Decline, nothing proves it. It was especially his team around him that declined
4 8 million in April 2030 at 36 years old, compared to the salary cap, it will weigh much less than today
5 Market value is very volatile. Montreal received a 1st round pick to take Monahan. Montreal received a 1st round pick to give Monahan.

If you have the salary structure and the team to play for the title with Hertl as a 2nd center and you are missing a 2nd center, you pay to have Hertl. For Vegas, it made sense.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
1 He is not injury prone
3 Decline, nothing proves it. It was especially his team around him that declined
4 8 million in April 2030 at 36 years old, compared to the salary cap, it will weigh much less than today
5 Market value is very volatile. Montreal received a 1st round pick to take Monahan. Montreal received a 1st round pick to give Monahan.

If you have the salary structure and the team to play for the title with Hertl as a 2nd center and you are missing a 2nd center, you pay to have Hertl. For Vegas, it made sense.
Excellent post.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
1 He is not injury prone

You know you're talking to someone who has watched almost every game of Tomas Hertl's career and is his biggest fan, right? Think what you want, but I know Hertl the player better than anyone.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
1 He is not injury prone

On injuries
  1. He's missed ~30 games 3 of the last 5 seasons.
  2. In 11 seasons he's missed ~30 seasons 5 times
  3. He's had 3 (maybe 4?) knee surgeries
Outstanding player, even better human being, one of my favorites but he is 100% injury prone.

Coverting 30 year old Hertl into 22 year old Askarov is amazing work from Mike Grier. Could work out for Vegas. Could work out for Hertl. Could be a bust for the Sharks, but I do this trade every time.

Reactions: vortexy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad