Prospect Info: G Topias Leinonen -- Selected 41st overall in 2022

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
You need to keep restocking the G position every draft even if it's a late pick in Buf situation imo. As promising as young goalies can seem, they can bust out just as easily. Might as well keep the cupboards stocked with goalies who can compete internally and swing until you hit one who's 'the guy'. 41st overall but 6'5?? I'll wait and see til I judge. Don't hate it.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I feel better about this pick knowing we got Neuchev in the 3rd (and we may not have complained if the order was inverted), but still I would have preferred Lutz.....and where the hell are the defensemen???

p.s. I thought we weren't allowed to draft any goalies. Like ever. :huh:

p.p.s. if we wanted a goalie, why didn't we trade the 2nd or 3rd to STL for Husso like DET did? :madfire:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I feel better about this pick knowing we got Neuchev in the 3rd (and we may not have complained if the order was inverted), but still I would have preferred Lutz.....and where the hell are the defensemen???

p.s. I thought we weren't allowed to draft any goalies. Like ever. :huh:

p.p.s. if we wanted a goalie, why didn't we trade the 2nd or 3rd to STL for Husso like DET did? :madfire:
They wanted a developmental goalie obviously.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I absolutely hate this pick, It is not only a reach, but you couldn't wait until the fourth round to take this kid?

While I liked different skaters at this pick, the idea that it is a reach supposes that no other team would have drafted him prior to that time. With the conversation about him being well-regarded among the goalies and with a lack of them, supply and demand rules would point to a risk of him being taken. They paid for not risking him being taken by taking him where they took him.

MeenOlViks

May 25, 2015
Damned if you do, damned if you don't pick. Don't think this guy makes it out of the 2nd round but It'll be frustrating down the road watching the handful of players we could've had at 41 excel in the league.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
While I liked different skaters at this pick, the idea that it is a reach supposes that no other team would have drafted him prior to that time. With the conversation about him being well-regarded among the goalies and with a lack of them, supply and demand rules would point to a risk of him being taken. They paid for not risking him being taken by taking him where they took him.

I suppose that's true, the rest of the draft has been nice. I just think you trade down rather than do this.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I suppose that's true, the rest of the draft has been nice. I just think you trade down rather than do this.

It's possible they tried. It does take someone being interested in moving up to 41 and some certainty that they could slide down to still get the player they wanted.

It's also possible they rated him out to where they took him and are happy to have done so. Even if there are fans who aren't.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
UPL likes the pick

Screenshot_20220708-142914_Instagram.jpg

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Well, the people who evaluate the draft say he's the best. I have no problem with this choice.
*Some* people who evaluate the draft said he's the best. Some didn't.

Also - KA's interview/Forton's interview didn't inspire too much confidence either. Basically said they were going to take a goalie no matter what and he was the highest on their list "by far". They were debating taking him in the first. How they come up with a mandate like that and end drafting him that high? Who knows.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
I think there should be a goalie picked in three of every four drafts. No problem with this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad