Prospect Info: G Topias Leinonen -- Selected 41st overall in 2022

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Just a massive reach. Zero reason to do this. Even if you have him scouted as your BPA for some reason you’d have to entertain a trade down. 30-80 spots higher than others had him ranked! For a guy that has a super long trajectory? Sheesh

This feels like Terry Pegula called Kevyn Adams and told him to draft a goalie there no matter what

Hole smokes! That’s a lot of speculation based on nothing.

Also, can you share where players are going to get drafted? Sounds like some awesome information you have that no one else does

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Where is the guarantee that it would not be taken away after our second? Especially if he is rated as the best goaltender in the draft.
“Best goaltender in the draft” is a little tough to say when there’s zero consensus on who the “best” is, and even the ones that were considered the “best” were typically ranked around 100 overall

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
For perspective -- Seattle took a goalie in the 2nd round as well.

I'm betting KA and company had some information that this Leinonen kid was going at some point in the 2nd and had him on a similar level as some other prospects that us amateurs are discussing.

Since we need goalies, KA jumped.
I don’t understand how this makes sense. We need goalies now. He’s 5 years away, minimum.

CrazyWayne

Dec 15, 2018
Buffalo bills draft philosophy starting to spill over to the sabres? Draft based on skill and potential where they can develop the players

Its a good philosophy in my opinion if you have an owner willing to spend money

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Looking forward to not blocking his path for the next half decade by cycling in a 47 year old Anderson with whoever 2028’s Aaron Dell is

Reactions: JLewyB

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Pronman

Analysis: Leinonen has a clear NHL tool kit. He measures in at-or-above 6-foot-4, and he’s an athletic goalie who can move well in the crease. Leionen has the ability to make very tough saves and ones that will translate to the NHL. I think he sees the game well and makes good reads, but his consistency is an issue. He lets in too many soft goals and has occasional stretches of bad decision making. He looks like a starter but projects more as a backup for those reasons.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Someone mentioned somewhere that he might of had a injury that dropped his stock in the ratings and that may be why the Sabres took him at 41. Anyone have that info ?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Like I said, weird mostly from the standpoint of skater evaluations. Goalies are so often hard to assess. It's possible they felt or knew that someone else would be taking him and they wanted to make sure it got done so they made the pick. Glad they got one into the system, it was much needed. I may be closing in on retirement by the time he's ready. :biglaugh:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Someone mentioned somewhere that he might of had a injury that dropped his stock in the ratings and that may be why the Sabres took him at 41. Anyone have that info ?
From Pronman

Background: Leinonen was a good but not spectacular junior goalie in Finland this season. He was the go-to goalie for Finland’s U18 team but was often injured or unavailable around major tournaments outside the U18 worlds where he wasn’t that good.

EDIT: it’s was also mentioned elsewhere his junior team was not very good. That he was their “savior” many nights.

• Wow
Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
> goalies are voodoo
> draft BPA
> don’t draft for need

I don’t know why it bugs people that people can be disappointed when they don’t even follow their own advice here. Definitely stings that Noah Warren went the pick right after here. Along with a bunch of other talent.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
This year is widely considered to be poor for goalies. Maybe they only have a couple they even liked enough to want to draft. In that case, you don't risk trading down and somebody else taking your guy. We're into the part of the draft where teams go against "consensus" all the time. If you don't like the Plan B options, don't put your fate in the hands of other GMs, take your guy and go. All it takes is one of them to screw you over.

And we needed to add depth to the pipeline anyways.

No problem with this pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad