Value of: G Juuse Saros from Preds

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I was toying with the idea of CBJ getting Saros until Tarasov is ready to replace Elvis who's been tutti frutti since the Kivlenieks tragedy, but I have no idea of the trade cost.

Great goalie, $5.0m x 2 yr.

Preds just might be ready to unload their current core for futures. (I don't know what to make of the Duchene buy-out and their other moves, is it just shedding a locker room country club or a real-ass burn the barn rebuild.)

What do you estimate as a reasonable price for Saros? Considering the reasonably expected immediate impact on the acquiring team's near future draft picks as well -- they'll likely be lower and thus cheaper currency.

Not really considering roster player moves; easier to first look at picks and prospects for the evaluation. So give it to me.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
If you wanna win, don't get a finn.

1633636.png
Dislike

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
What makes you think that?
Some talk on HF Preds I saw, just that the GM is ready to listen to any offers that are good enough. Not sure what that is worth. The off-season moves don't scream a quick re-tool to me but I can't really figure them out either. Well, what do you think?

Not this year. Alas.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Do we really need to start this again? His value to the Preds greatly outweighs what a "fair" trade would bring back and we are not going to move him unless we get an offer that makes the Forsberg and Jeannot deals look tame.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Trotz has been pretty vocal about building around Saros. I don't doubt he COULD be available, but not for the value of a normal goalie trade. I think it would be a trade that truly "hurts" to make for the acquiring team.

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
Miika Kipprusoff says hi.

this is what it wouls take and id be cool w it

To CBJ:
Saros
Luke prokop

To Nash:
Kent Johnson
Marchenko
Tarsaov
Mateychuk

may be steep but Saros probably gets you back into the playoffs

Forsberg-ROR-Evangelista
Johnson-Novak-Marchenko
Nyquist-Parsinnen-Tomasino
Glass-Sissons-Trenin
There’s no viable way they’d include Tarasov. You’d seen Elvis going back with a top3 protected 2024 1st and a prospect like Johnson.

Sorry goalies just don’t hold value. Same time Nashville has no reason to trade him either.

Columbus wants a goalie just call up Craig Conroy and offer a 7th Round pick for Markstrom or take on Vladar as a project.

Several GMs have Vladar very high and the guy can be had for a 3rd.

Reactions: malcb33 and banks

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
There have been prior threads on him……
Fair enough and mea culpa. Didn't spot any threads on the first few pages. The Perds have been having an interesting off-season so I thought no harm in an update. Perhaps they have zero reason or intention of trading Saros, but still, it would be interesting to know how people here value him right now on the trade market, especially with his very nice contract.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Fair enough and mea culpa. Didn't spot any threads on the first few pages. The Perds have been having an interesting off-season so I thought no harm in an update. Perhaps they have zero reason or intention of trading Saros, but still, it would be interesting to know how people here value him right now on the trade market, especially with his very nice contract.
I guarantee the Preds value him more than any team is willing to part with.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah, I wasn't joking about Fantilli. Saros is our best player. And he's on a bargain contract. A lot of teams would need a pretty huge offer to part with their best player. Not many teams end up trading their best player, therefore. Think of Saros that way, maybe it will help? :dunno:

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022

There’s no viable way they’d include Tarasov. You’d seen Elvis going back with a top3 protected 2024 1st and a prospect like Johnson.

Sorry goalies just don’t hold value. Same time Nashville has no reason to trade him either.

Columbus wants a goalie just call up Craig Conroy and offer a 7th Round pick for Markstrom or take on Vladar as a project.

I'm not convinced CBJ would include Johnson but him + a 1st would make me think about it, honestly.. 4 more years of that Elvis contract would be hard to swallow though especially since the Preds already have too much dead cap to make a buyout palatable.

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
I'm not convinced CBJ would include Johnson but him + a 1st would make me think about it, honestly.. 4 more years of that Elvis contract would be hard to swallow though especially since the Preds already have too much dead cap to make a buyout palatable.
The Elvis contract as bad as it is could be worse it could be Jack Campbell and Darnell Nurse both being in your team eating up 14.25m of your total cap for two crap players.

I seriously think Edmonton has one of the worst managed caps in the league.

Give Campbell 5m x 5 and Skinner who’s your guy 2.6m.

Teams not to stop over valuing UFAs. Players like Campbell max 2 years 4-5m. If he’s worth 5m for longer than prove it.

This is the problem hiring GMs with next to no business skills.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
this is what it wouls take and id be cool w it

To CBJ:
Saros
Luke prokop

To Nash:
Kent Johnson
Marchenko
Tarsaov
Mateychuk

may be steep but Saros probably gets you back into the playoffs

Forsberg-ROR-Evangelista
Johnson-Novak-Marchenko
Nyquist-Parsinnen-Tomasino
Glass-Sissons-Trenin
That's a lot for a goalie they would probably be better off getting one of the goalies from Boston.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Johnson wouldn't be on the table, so Saros wouldn't be on the table. That's the sort of return Nashville needs to justify moving him but the Jackets aren't going to want any part of it.

So, again, this thread never happened. :)

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

This is pretty much the thread in a nutshell. Non nashville will say goalies dont hold value. Nashville will say then why trade him and happily sit with him until askarov is ready.

As for nashville maybe packing it in and selling off.... i could see that argument when we traded off nino, granlund (not really), ekholm, joey, and bought out duchene. Then we got RoR, Nyquist, and Schenn and pretty much went right back to where we were pre trade deadline with tbe addition of Tomasino and Evangelista from MIL. So we seem very much status quo but with a new core attitude.

Reactions: Stubu

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
I was toying with the idea of CBJ getting Saros until Tarasov is ready to replace Elvis who's been tutti frutti since the Kivlenieks tragedy, but I have no idea of the trade cost.

Great goalie, $5.0m x 2 yr.

Preds just might be ready to unload their current core for futures. (I don't know what to make of the Duchene buy-out and their other moves, is it just shedding a locker room country club or a real-ass burn the barn rebuild.)

What do you estimate as a reasonable price for Saros? Considering the reasonably expected immediate impact on the acquiring team's near future draft picks as well -- they'll likely be lower and thus cheaper currency.

Not really considering roster player moves; easier to first look at picks and prospects for the evaluation. So give it to me.
The goalie market is a bit packed right now Gibson. Hellybuck and Lehner.

If you guys trade him, do it at TDL.... to a desperate team who will give you the soul of their 1st born child and more in return.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
This is pretty much the thread in a nutshell. Non nashville will say goalies dont hold value. Nashville will say then why trade him and happily sit with him until askarov is ready.

As for nashville maybe packing it in and selling off.... i could see that argument when we traded off nino, granlund (not really), ekholm, joey, and bought out duchene. Then we got RoR, Nyquist, and Schenn and pretty much went right back to where we were pre trade deadline with tbe addition of Tomasino and Evangelista from MIL. So we seem very much status quo but with a new core attitude.
The issue, of course, with sitting with Saros until Askarov is ready is that Saros is going to require a really big raise to keep around after his contract is up (not to mention possible trade protection), and then you have an asset that's hard to move and a bunch of cap tied up at the goalie position, which is less than ideal. It's not a death sentence, of course- Florida just made the finals with (until the playoffs) an underperforming Bob on a massive contract, after all.

My point is that while those who want to keep Saros above all will point out the huge risk in trading him, there's also plenty of risk in signing him to a huge contract. If Askarov does pan out and you want to free up cap at G, now you're possibly having to dump him for pennies.

It's a difficult decision and I don't think it's quite as simple as saying "keeping him is the safe choice".

Having said all that, I don't think there's a "wrong choice" here. I just think Trotz would be smart to keep his ears open, which I think he will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad