G Joni Ortio (2009, 171st overall, Calgary)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I would expect him to stay on the farm for the rest of this year so he doesn't get destroyed up here, and he gets playoff action.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Excited to see how he does. He's looked great in the AHL this year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him splitting time with Ramo in the NHL next year.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Good stuff. Saw him live in the World Championships last season. It was against France, so he wasn't tested all that much, but I still thought he looked good. Will definitely be watching him tomorrow.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Ortio got a first star selection tonight. With Rämö injured and Berra traded out, Ortio will have a big role for the rest of the season.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Ortio got a first star selection tonight. With Rämö injured and Berra traded out, Ortio will have a big role for the rest of the season.

This is his big audition.

If he plays well he and Ramo will likely split time next year as the Flames goalies.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
He was really good last night. Kids got a really good glove hand. That slapper by Zibanejad could have easily gone in.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
His size and and calmness reminds me of another Finnish goalie, who played in the Flames uniform. Both of them who are originally from the same city and same hockey program.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Even if he plays well now, I would not be shocked if the Flames send him back down when Ramo returns. They'll want Ortio to continue to play and he'll get more minutes in the AHL.

Next year should be his big shot.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
His size and and calmness reminds me of another Finnish goalie, who played in the Flames uniform. Both of them who are originally from the same city and same hockey program.

They also had the same goalie coach and are the exact same height and weight. Ortio is like an incarnation of Kipper.

Woodtkachuk

Jun 2, 2011
Not saying he will be as good but it's funny how much he looks like kipper. Even the way he drinks his water made me laugh. Same coach, nationality and size. We got ourselves a kipper jr.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
I really wasn't expecting much out of him after he decided to come back to North America. Two years ago he was flopping all around his crease and his rebound control was very uncharacteristic of Finnish netminder. But fast forward two years and watching him play you can't help but be reminded of Miikka Kiprusoff.

I really miss Kiprusoff, a lot more than I miss Iginla actually, so it felt awesome to watch Ortio get his first win playing a style so identical to Kiprusoff's. Also, I'm pretty sure Kiprusoff recommended Ortio to the Flames. Kipper owns TPS Turku, the team Ortio (and previously Kiprusoff) played for.

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007
Guy has a sick glove hand. There were flashes of Kiprusoff in his play last night. Except for the pouting after the goal. Get some ice in those veins, Joni.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Guy has a sick glove hand. There were flashes of Kiprusoff in his play last night. Except for the pouting after the goal. Get some ice in those veins, Joni.

Haha, yeah he's not quite as nonchalant as Kiprusoff. Actually, even though their styles are almost identical, their personalities are very different. Ortio is actually quite bubbly and outgoing compared to Kiprusoff's reclusive and reserved nature.

Also, Ortio's English is phenomenal. Better than most Swedes even.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Woah, woah, shouldn't you dial down your enthusiasm a little? Your gonna give us Flame posters a bad name comparing aspects of Ortio's game to Kippers.

I like this kid, he's young and he still has so much room for growth in his game. He has a real opportunity to be our starter next year which is crazy considering 2 years ago he was pretty much a forgotten prospect. Good for him, he's a good kid and comes from a great program.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Ortio's English is phenomenal. Better than most Swedes even.
I'm Canadian, his english is better than mine. Somewhat misleading, I'm from Nova Scotia

Woah, woah, shouldn't you dial down your enthusiasm a little? Your gonna give us Flame posters a bad name comparing aspects of Ortio's game to Kippers.

I like this kid, he's young and he still has so much room for growth in his game. He has a real opportunity to be our starter next year which is crazy considering 2 years ago he was pretty much a forgotten prospect. Good for him, he's a good kid and comes from a great program.
Hmmm, someone else was forgotten in SJ at one time too.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary

I think he just wanted that shutout really bad. I felt bad for him that he didn't get it.

Anyway, wasn't it Kipper that told the Flames that they should draft Ortio in the first place? IIRC that pick was done entirely on his recommendation.

EDIT: Ah yes, I see Noori beat me to it.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Haha, yeah he's not quite as nonchalant as Kiprusoff. Actually, even though their styles are almost identical, their personalities are very different. Ortio is actually quite bubbly and outgoing compared to Kiprusoff's reclusive and reserved nature.

Also, Ortio's English is phenomenal. Better than most Swedes even.

Its crazy heck his english is even better than Landeskog's i had to double check he was Finnish.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
I'm pretty sure Kiprusoff recommended Ortio to the Flames. Kipper owns TPS Turku, the team Ortio (and previously Kiprusoff) played for.

Kiprusoff owns just a little piece of that team, like Saku Koivu :laugh:

And Ortio played in HIFK last season along with Markus Granlund :handclap:

Both will be pretty good NHL players.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Its crazy heck his english is even better than Landeskog's i had to double check he was Finnish.

Internet doing it's job, kids learning English better. Such a strange language for Finns compared to Swedes because our own language is as different as it can possibly, unlike Swedish.

Excited to see Ortio starting well this time around.. Our new kids are better and better all the time in non-goalie sector too, and not only in English.. Wait for Puljujärvi, I think he has superstar potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad