Confirmed with Link: (G) J. Markstrom (30% retention) traded to NJ for (D) Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st rd pick (Top 10 protected)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
The D group is really not very impressive to me. But Forsling is now one of the very best players in the whole league out of nowhere — that certainly helps things.
Forsling and all 4 of the guys you mentioned in your other post all significantly improved when they got to Florida, you're right that it's not individual talent but moreso Florida's coaching/management optimizing and getting the most out of these guys

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
He’s preparing for Middommar in Sweden!?!

That can’t be good.
View attachment 884518
Tom Fitzgerald has signed Nikita Zadorov 6x6

1718825874763.jpeg

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
The D group is really not very impressive to me. But Forsling is now one of the very best players in the whole league out of nowhere — that certainly helps things.
You're absolutely right that other than their big name pasts, they aren't particularly great right now and they play behind a terrific system and group of forwards that know where to be and know how to punish people.

They all have a modicum of top level skill, they all play a reasonably physical game, they all have good sticks and are reliable. I think the experience and smarts is what makes them very very good. The same way Hamilton makes us a different team even if he wasn't scoring and has some warts

I think Luke and Nemec will be better and that's great and Dougie is our #1. After that, it's a lot of holes.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
Maurice clearly has a strong defensive system helped by the fact that most of Florida's forwards all are great 2 way players. Add in a quality goaltender and it makes sense. Remains to be seen whether Keefe, our F core, and Markstrom can be those things

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
They would still be good players, albeit past their primes. Like Markstrom is now.
I really don’t care whoever the flames pick with our pick next year or when it is. I care about making the team better this year and next year markstrom does that. You have some weird kick about wanting to wait for the perfect window perfect age perfect contracts perfect setup before we try and win. It ain’t happening bruh

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm glad we cashed out on Bahl, if this is considered cashing out on Bahl. He stunk last season and I don't ever see him being more than a #6 (possibly #5) and I wouldn't really wanna pay him more than what he's making right now.

He could have a decent, low key long career around the league like Jon Merrill, but that's a best case scenario.

I don't really like giving up a first for Markstrom, but at least it's not this year's first.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Dallas built tonns from Johnston and Stankoven, Lundell is very important part of Florida, Holloway is important part of Oilers team.

Relevant if management and scouting are good.

Tampa lost in the SCF in 2015. They drafted Point the year before and Cirelli that year.

They traded for Cernak (2015 draft) in 2017.

The idea that we have all our future pieces, or that we can get them as costly UFAs or in expensive trades, is nonsensical. That’s not how successful teams do it.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I find this a HORRIBLE trade. He will be close to 35 when the Season starts, under no circumstance would I give up any assets for such a high risk (of injury ) and low number of expected years of service player.

Trading Bratt for Saros would have been better, any big asset for big asset would have been ok. This is just asset for close to nothing in my view
I mean they could’ve kept Vitek that would’ve been better

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Tampa lost in the SCF in 2015. They drafted Point the year before and Cirelli that year.

The idea that we have all our future pieces, or that we can get them as costly UFAs or in expensive trades, is nonsensical. That’s not how successful teams do it.

meh, the teams in the Finals right now basically built their team that way.

There isn't really one way to build a team.

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
Imagine, if you will, we are at our worse point last season with maybe 20 or so games left and some random hockey God appears out of nowhere and offers the following: swap Ruff for Keefer, trade Bahl and a pick for Markstrom.

I’m pretty sure I would jump on it AND be happy about it.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Let's suppose the best case scenario...

Is making the playoffs and getting bounced in a round or maybe even two worth a middle 1st round pick and Bahl?

I don't know at this point I don't think we should be unloading the chambers to just make the playoffs. It seems shortsighted.
It’s a young team that needs playoff experience you can’t just sit here and say we shouldn’t be doing this because they will get bounced in the first/second round.

How many playoff failures did Tampa and colorodo have before actually winning one.

This team isn’t going to just wake up one day and be a contender without having any playoff experience

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

Im afraid with losing three picks potentially(already lost 2) and two more second round picks we are limiting our potential and depth. I understand why some fans cant wait, but manager should not think about impatient fans, he should think how he can do better long term, especially when all of our core piece contracts only started and most of our core pieces are very young. We are not in 2-3 years away from ending of our window when we really have no logic interest in prospects who needs 3-4 or more years. We are in different situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad