Rumor: Pagnotta: Utah is making some noise and is actively shopping for a top-pair defenceman by the sounds of it. Something to keep an eye on this week.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
What is Utah's situation cap wise? Have they been rumoured to want to spend?

If so, Chabot makes sense. He has term, so he would be stuck there. He is owed a lot of real money (an average of 9.5M per season). His cap hit is slightly high compared to the market for defensemen. His term is perfect in a situation like the one Utah is in, because at 4 years remaining it's long enough that he isn't out the door tomorrow, but it's not a 7 or 8 year commitment that a top UFA might take.

Utah could also take Joseph, who Ottawa is trying to dump, presumably to make cap space to acquire Brandon Tanev from Seattle in order to persuade Christopher Tanev to sign here. Joseph is inconsistent but has some great tools. I wouldn't call him a pure cap dump, but I suspect there might not be a strong market for him.

Chabot for 38, a future 2nd, a B+ type prospect, and taking Joseph (taking him is probably worth a 2nd judging by recent trades). Ottawa then flips the future 2nd to Seattle for Tanev (with retention), and trades for the rights to other Tanev and signs him with the some of the money dumped from Chabot.

Tanev is obviously not worth a 2nd, even with retention, but Seattle would be dumb not to extort Ottawa.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: Kaizen and Dog

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
On the worst defensive team in the NHL. On a contending defense he's on the bottom pairing.

He has potential but that is all it is to this point

The Sabres might not be a great team, but they gave up fewer goals than average. Even if you wanted to use advanced stats their xGA is middle of the pack.

How are they the worst defensive team in the league? To say nothing that if a trade involves the 6OA pick you're clearly dealing in the real of potential.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Probably fair value but I don't know if they sell Andersson. You sell Weegar or Andersson and the defense won't be competitive for years. Completely destroys any appearance of trying to compete rather than "retooling"

As a Flames fan, I hope they trade both Weegar and Andersson for a shit ton of picks and prospects. Than the Flames take on a big cap like Nurse from the Oilers for a f*** ton of picks and prospects.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I wonder if Dougie Hamilton / Simon Nemec are being floated.

NJ fans may jump on me, but with rumours swirling around Pesce, Hamilton already in the fold and Casey on the way, it seems like Nemec could be expendable for the right price. Obviously it would take a pretty penny, including their pick, but some Utah pieces could really put the Devils into true contender status.

Hamilton makes sense too, but he's the more proven commodity and has a NMC

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
What is Utah's situation cap wise? Have they been rumoured to want to spend?
Well they have to spend 20 mil just to get to the cap minimum and they still have Weber's 7.8 LTIR to add to that.
They could have 50 million to spend.
They have a massive amount of prospects under 23 yrs old

Big game hunting;
Make an offer TO can't refuse for Marner then extend for 13.5 mil
Try to sign Guentzel 9.5 mil, Stamkos 10.5 mil, Lindholm 8.5 mil.

Try for Ghost, Montour and Skjei, re-sign Dumba, Durzi, Valimaki

Get a goalie using picks

Just about every team that is cap constrained the might want picks and minors prospects.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
GettyImages-2151973403-e1715241195213.jpg
Talk about diving head first into the trade market!

Dougie Hamilton for Lawson crouse and 6th overall pick
Subtract Crouse + 6th overall and the value is closer to even.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
How does projected cap vs cap space work on Cap friendly?

Doing the math, factoring Weber in LTIR the math is 50mil in space

But “projected space” is 43mil and that seems to be the number most outlets are running with

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad