Confirmed with Link: (G) J. Markstrom (30% retention) traded to NJ for (D) Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st rd pick (Top 10 protected)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Im afraid with losing three picks potentially(already lost 2) and two more second round picks we are limiting our potential and depth. I understand why some fans cant wait, but manager should not think about impatient fans, he should think how he can do better long term, especially when all of our core piece contracts only started and most of our core pieces are very young. We are not in 2-3 years away from ending of our window when we really have no logic interest in prospects who needs 3-4 or more years. We are in different situation.
Florida seems to be doing well with only 3 drafted players on there team right now.

You can sit on draft picks and hope you hit on them with a young team or you can start supplementing the young guys with some proven players

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Florida seems to be doing well with only 3 drafted players on there team right now.

You can sit on draft picks and hope you hit on them with a young team or you can start supplementing the young guys with some proven players
You can trade all of your picks and win nothing. No one against trading picks or stuff for "tkachuks". Or for Meier. But there are no options like this.

I prefer doing like Dallas - Florida window may be close to an end, our window only started.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The LHD market is kind of brutal. Almost makes more sense to look for a Holtz+ trade if we can't get Dillon.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
pretty sure this means we're picking this year, at least

no way we go 3 in a row no firsts (and no 2nd this year)
I think having the 10th oa is what makes giving up a 1st for an older goalie tolerable.

The other consideration is Fitz expects us to play well enough that this is a late 1st rnder.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You can trade all of your picks and win nothing. No one against trading picks or stuff for "tkachuks". Or for Meier. But there are no options like this.

I prefer doing like Dallas - Florida window may be close to an end, our window only started.
You can also hold onto your picks and win nothing, there's more than one way to win, or one way to fail. More teams like Tampa, Vegas, Florida, etc trade picks when they already have a set core to try to maximize that core's chances of winning in an 8-10 year period.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
You can also hold onto your picks and win nothing, there's more than one way to win, or one way to fail. More teams like Tampa, Vegas, Florida, etc trade picks when they already have a set core to try to maximize that core's chances of winning in an 8-10 year period.

I mean if we're in a position to consistently be good, those picks are mostly likely going in trades at the deadline especially if we're bonafide contenders

Reactions: Louskoolaid89

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Markstrom and Allen were in the same draft class in 2008. Picked 3 picks apart.
1718828037757.gif

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Tampa traded their picks when they already had all pieces. And if you read comments of @Guttersniped they drafted Point after SCF. Vegas walk through the different path, we dont have so much money. All three teams are from south, all three teams were in different situation with their picks and their window.

And no one traded their top-10 pick for good.

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
I like the trade. Doesn’t cost an important roster player, and they don’t handcuff themselves to making a long term deal to a goalie immediately. I’m hoping markstrom is highly motivated to make a strong impression here. Could be his last real chance at meaningful success, so he has to be tip top.

Now just get a mean physical D who can be PK1, a middle 6 player who can take face offs and talk Mercer into a reasonable 5 year deal and call it a summer.

Reactions: My3Sons

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
I like the deal but am surprised Bahl was moved when we want to be tougher to play against

He wasnt a bulldozer but you cant teach size and I thought he had some snarl

Not the best player but if hes cheap enough Id like to keep Bastian now; I feel hes earned a chance to prove himself healthy with Keefe this year after he was one of few Devils consistently putting his body on the line for the team

Reactions: Stephen Gionta

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
After digesting for a bit, my take on the trade is that it's fine under the following conditions
  • Markstrom doesn't outright suck next year
  • We use the leverage of Markstrom and Nemec having low cap hits for two years to go for it Bahls to the wall. Trade Holtz and whatever for a top pair LHD, sign another true top six forward, and fill out the bottom six with quality veterans. Accept that we're taking a big swing these next two years at the potential cost of a mini rebuild after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad