Confirmed with Link: (G) J. Markstrom (30% retention) traded to NJ for (D) Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st rd pick (Top 10 protected)

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I wonder if goalies tend to get better or worse as they get into their mid '30s
Bob just had a good season at 35. MAF had an excellent season at 35. We had a guy who was still playing quite well into his late 30's.

There may be some truth to something like, guys who play well through their early/mid 30's, play well into their late 30's.

Reactions: My3Sons

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Bob just had a good season at 35. MAF had an excellent season at 35. We had a guy who was still playing quite well into his late 30's.

There may be some truth to something like, guys who play well through their early/mid 30's, play well into their late 30's.

Always a good idea to bet that a guy will be one of the few exceptions to the rule.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I agree, but if this is what Markstrom cost, think what Saros or Ullmark were gonna cost?

I don't mind going into next season with Markstrom as the #1, but I'd feel a lot better if Allen wasn't the #2.
And Markstrom is locked up for 2 years, while those guys are only locked up for one.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
We traded a first round pick for another 'IF'

Also, in 16 games Kahkonen had numbers on par, if not slightly better than Markstrom. Small sample size? Sure. Would I much rather have just re-signed Kaapo than give up assets for a goal tender significantly older, whose position ages the worst out of any other one in hockey?

It's amazing no one can't see this for anything other than poor asset management

'But a 2025 first is really a second!'

Get the hell out of here.
An NHL player is an "if" but a draft pick isn't ??

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
It's a bigger "if" when player turns 35 years old in the upcoming season.

Is there any doubt whatsoever that Bahl will be significantly more valuable in 2 years than Markstrom, not to mention the 1st rounder? So, from my perspective this is a "win now " move for team that is nowhere near"win now"

Bahl is a guy to me that doesn't present any positive net value so I legit do not care about that. He's JAG. Replace him with another 24 year old prospect in the system and I'm not sure how much of a difference there is.

The pick is a worthwhile conversation, however nothing is overvalued as much as a late first round pick on HFBoards. Teams throw them out like used paper towels. You may prefer the first to Markstrom for the potential upside there, I won't say that you're wrong in feeling that way, but the pick as a whole is grossly overvalued by fans compared to how the league views them.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Always a good idea to bet that a guy will be one of the few exceptions to the rule.
It speaks to the dearth of dependable goalies in the league.

I'd be more wary if he didn't just have a decent season.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
:eyeroll:

I think I predicted this last week....any player we trade will immediately suck and any pick we give up will be irrelevant...

So damn predictable.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'll say it again- Markstrom wasn't even at his best last year, and still finished in the top 10 in the NHL in goals saved above expected.

This isn't some washed up scrub that is on his last legs. He can still play. And I don't even love the player all that much, but still.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
"Win-now team" that went 38-39 last year and is picking 10th.
Gonna go all Jim on us? You know full well if they aren't a win-now team now (like at least a playoff team next year) after already giving the bag to Timo and Bratt and trading a future first rounder then something's gone wrong and Fitz is on his ass. They also won 50 games with Lindy and Vitek like someone else said, they definitely upgraded on coach and on paper at least upgraded at goalie. They already traded a bunch of assets to get Timo as it was, so that's pretty weird to do if you're not going all in.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Fitz is the Tony Khan of GMs. Shiny toy syndrome.

This isn't a good deal in a vacuum, it isn't on paper but because it's an apparent 'name' we should be thrilled.
An NHL player is an "if" but a draft pick isn't ??

I'd rather have a stocked prospect pool with solid depth on the NHL level vs selling the farm for a depreciating asset like Jacob f***ing Markstrom.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Fine with this trade, 2025 first hurts but that means they're using this year's pick at 10 and don't expect to be using the 2025 high regardless. It's also top 10 pick if shit hits the fan like it did this year. The Devils had everything go completely wrong last year and landed at #10 this year. If you think that's remotely happening again then there's no argument to help you off the ledge. They have two 2nds also to play around with at next year's deadline if they become buyers

Reactions: beekay414

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

This isn't a good deal in a vacuum, it isn't on paper but because it's an apparent 'name' we should be thrilled.

I'd rather have a stocked prospect pool with solid depth on the NHL level vs selling the farm for a depreciating asset like Jacob f***ing Markstrom.

brother we had a stocked prospect pool for like 3-4 years. You can't have a stocked prospect pool forever. Those players graduate and become good NHLers (like we've had), and then your prospect pool falls off. This is life in the NHL.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

I think I predicted this last week....any player we trade will immediately suck and any pick we give up will be irrelevant...

So damn predictable.
According to who lol, at least half the board is up in arms over giving up the 2025 1st, because they talked themselves into thinking we'd get him at 50% for a 3rd rounder

Reactions: beekay414

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

They're literally going to add someone to said pool in 10 days, hop off the ledge. Anyone else they got was going to be a worse deal + having a contract have to be given to for the 25/26 year like Saros or Ullmark. If Markstrom is good, you have a starter for at 4.5M for that year versus 8-9M Saros/Ullmark will probably get.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

So damn predictable.

I mean, it's Kevin Bahl.....who is fine. Third pairing guy. But it's not like you can't find those guys if you need them. He caught some flack he shouldn't have at times because he was playing above his skill level and that's not his fault, but that also means that his skill level is what it is.

I've been saying the return would be a 25 first for a while now and have been fully prepared to pay it without too much care.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I'll say it again- Markstrom wasn't even at his best last year, and still finished in the top 10 in the NHL in goals saved above expected.

This isn't some washed up scrub that is on his last legs. He can still play. And I don't even love the player all that much, but still.

He's not an elite goaltender and the non-elite guys bounce up and down constantly. That's why the correct approach to goaltending is to get cheap vets and throw mid round picks at them in the draft. I know that this is exactly what the Devils have done and it hasn't worked out so far, but it worked for lots of other team, they just need to stop sucking at it.

what about the year prior to that? were they win-now then?

Trying to figure out the reasonings here....

Yeah, how'd they get there? By winning trades on value and being patient with young players or tossing 1st round picks at 34 year olds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad