Confirmed with Link: (G) J. Markstrom (30% retention) traded to NJ for (D) Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st rd pick (Top 10 protected)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
There would be nothing behind a 20 year old defender for the PK... it's just a dumb move. Really dumb.

Siegenthaler - Marino
New Guy - 20 year old dender.... seriously?....no one else kills penalties...and your one injuries away from piecemealing an already less than ideal situation. That's largely what happened this season.

This is not smart...25-30% of all goals are scored on the PP. This is not trivial.

We went from the 4th ranked PK in 2023 to the 10th ranked in 2024.
Well Nemec is playing, so get used to it. Don’t know what you want, or what you think the solution is. We can get by with a top 10 PK.

Reactions: JelloPuddyPops

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Don’t love it, don’t hate it. But the goalie tandem is looking pretty nice next year, hopefully there’s a 3-yr succession plan somewhere in the works but Bahl was terrible last year and a low-first round 2025 pick does nothing for us.

Andre Palot

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
A late 1st round pick (which we should be viewing this as) yes he is. If Markstrom doesn't turn to dog shit & has a good year he would easily fetch a 1st from a playoff team who's weak at goaltending at the trade deadline. Now you obviously don't trade a top 10 pick for him but imagine the scenario of your team is making the playoffs (so you're picking let's say pick #25 as an example), it's trade deadline time and your goalie situation is in question, you have a retained Markstrom who is playing really good. You're telling me you don't pull the trigger and trade pick #25 for him knowing you now have a good starter in the playoffs? Teams hand out 1sts like candy at the trade deadline to rental wingers. A starting goalie is definitely more important than adding a top 6 winger to most teams when entering the playoffs.

> if Blackwood doesn't turn to dogshit we can be a contender

> if Vitek doesn't turn to dogshit we can be a contender

> If Markstrom...

Where's that meme with the grim reaper knocking on the doors? Perfect for this.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Hate it. Overpayment. You mean to tell me a 35 year old goalie who could turn to dogshit next year is worth a 1st round pick?

I legit do not get why people are shocked by this.

Reactionary move by Fitz that won't do ANYTHING.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope everyone here is screenshotting my anger and a year from now making me eat crow. Right now I don't want to hear about the summer of f***ing Fitz or Fitz magic. This is more than we gave up for Cory who was a WHOLE DECADE YOUNGER

This post just doesn't make you seem remotely reasonable.

Reactions: beekay414

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Going into the summer, Fitz was never going to 1) not secure the goalie position and 2) go with that much inexperience on defense again. Even Siegs and Marino are still quite young in the grand scheme vs. a team like DAL or VGK. Getting a player in '25 who would move the needle quickly in this team's window is also a pretty low odds bet outside of the top 10.

I think we did well. Still sort of stings to pay a 1st for a goalie but we got retention and didn't commit too much term to the most volatile position.

Still have Holtz and the 10th. That's a lot of ammo or two regulars with team control for a long time.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

> If Markstrom...

now, what else has changed from the last 2 years to now?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
There would be nothing behind a 20 year old defender for the PK... it's just a dumb move. Really dumb.

Siegenthaler - Marino
New Guy - 20 year old dender.... seriously?....no one else kills penalties...and your one injuries away from piecemealing an already less than ideal situation. That's largely what happened this season.

This is not smart...25-30% of all goals are scored on the PP. This is not trivial.

We went from the 4th ranked PK in 2023 to the 10th ranked in 2024...and it could get worse.
Fitz has already said he’s looking to add a top six forward, bottom six forward, top four defender, and a bottom pairing defender this off-season. Well not him exactly but we know how much he loves funneling news through the insiders.

I think he knows this and targets a guy like Dillon in free agency or via trade. I also expect a Smith replacement as a #7 that can kill penalties.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I, personally, have not given up on him. I've had some arguments with others here saying that he needs to be given more of a legit shot.

But the writing appears to be on the wall. Brass does not believe in him. He's clearly not going to be used in a way to get much utility out of him in NJ. With that in mind, it would make more sense to convert him into a different asset that can help the team.

It's interesting in that the Devils have used him very sparingly, and mostly on the 4th line when they do use him, for 2 years now. But there have been multiple fairly major trades now where, he could have been a piece that went the other way, but wasn't. Is that because other teams don't want him? Maybe, but it might also be because, as I've hoped, the Devils want to hold on to him, and his usage is the team grooming him into a more well rounded player.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012

> If Markstrom...

The difference is one is proven while the other two are border line starters at best.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Don’t love it, don’t hate it. But the goalie tandem is looking pretty nice next year, hopefully there’s a 3-yr succession plan somewhere in the works but Bahl was terrible last year and a low-first round 2025 pick does nothing for us.
We know what the eventual succession plan is, it's just a matter of if it works or not (one of Daws, Schmid or Poulter). Hopefully one replaces Allen as the backup next year then wins the job after that.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

It's a very "yeah sure, whatever" trade, tbh.

I'm not going to sing its praises on the board as one of the greatest trades ever, but I have nothing to be upset about here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad