Confirmed with Link: (G) J. Markstrom (30% retention) traded to NJ for (D) Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st rd pick (Top 10 protected)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Reactionary move by Fitz that won't do ANYTHING.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope everyone here is screenshotting my anger and a year from now making me eat crow. Right now I don't want to hear about the summer of f***ing Fitz or Fitz magic. This is more than we gave up for Cory who was a WHOLE DECADE YOUNGER
This is outrageously false, c'mon. We gave up #9 for Cory and this pick literally can't be in the top-10.

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
I like the trade. You get a solid goalie at a bargain price for a bottom pairing defenseman and what could be a low draft pick next season. And Devils still get to draft a stud player with their 10th pick.

Reactions: BurntToast

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I am well past the point of caring about what should be a very late 1st round pick more than a calendar year away. We have a top 10 pick incoming when we very much did not expect to have a pick that good coming our way.

We have an extra 2 next year. Plenty of talent on the roster already, with plenty of bullets to add more.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Don't get why people are saying this. Could just as easily be #11 or #12 OA
That would only be true if you think the Devils have a repeat of this season where the coaching was bad, the goalies were bad, and they had devastating long term injuries to major pieces.

Otherwise I can’t see how you don’t expect next season to likely be better than this season.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Looks like a win-win trade? Calgary needed to retool and can probably run with Wolf/ Vladar, and got a 1st and young defender. Jersey gets that #1 goalie and has many young assets to could afford to move that pick.

Wonder if the guys lower in the goalie pecking order (Daws, Schmid) decide to ask out if there's no room for them to move up.

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
This is outrageously false, c'mon. We gave up #9 for Cory and this pick literally can't be in the top-10.

difference between 9 and 11 is not a whole lot (if that were to happen). I don't think this is some steal some here are making it out to be. It's definitely not an amazing deal.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Holtz may be traded its possible... never say never if you get the right return. I am surprised how quickly everyone is giving. up on him.. he showed improvement last year.. he has some holes in his game for sure.. but some guys just take an extra season or two to learn the NHL game..I am a Holtz believer. He is a below average skater, he d zone play needs work his wall play needs work. his hockey IQ with the puck is good, his shot is good , and he has potential to play a heavy game as he matures... I'd like to see him one more season with a new coach, new frame of mind.. would like to see him with hughes more or nico..
I, personally, have not given up on him. I've had some arguments with others here saying that he needs to be given more of a legit shot.

But the writing appears to be on the wall. Brass does not believe in him. He's clearly not going to be used in a way to get much utility out of him in NJ. With that in mind, it would make more sense to convert him into a different asset that can help the team.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
That would only be true if you think the Devils have a repeat of this season where the coaching was bad, the goalies were bad, and they had devastating long term injuries to major pieces.

Otherwise I can’t see how you don’t expect next season to likely be better than this season.

Things are unpredictable, that's why you try to win trades on value rather than whatever this garbage is.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Fine with the trade, a little high with the 1st rounder, but don't hate it.

Let's just make sure it's something like, I dunno, the 32nd pick.

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Things are unpredictable, that's why you try to win trades on value rather than whatever this garbage is.
There was no goalie trade we were going to win, it was just going to be about how badly we mitigated a loss...we had to risk giving up a #2 and gave up a #3 to get freaking Jake Allen and look at his numbers the previous two seasons, he'd gone to being a third goalie for a rebuilding team worse than ours and people are still clamoring to replace him with Kahkonen even after his solid start here, what did you really think a starter (albeit a mediocre, streaky one) would get?

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Wonder if the guys lower in the goalie pecking order (Daws, Schmid) decide to ask out if there's no room for them to move up.
Neither have done enough to be asking out. It’s not like they’d be starting for other teams and they’re still very young for goalies. If anything this gives them time to develop and a potential starting opening in 2 years.

Reactions: HBK27

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Playing nemec behind Marino on the PK is hardly throwing him into the fire. You don’t think he’s ever played PK before or something? Lmao.
There would be nothing behind a 20 year old defender for the PK... it's just a dumb move. Really dumb.

Siegenthaler - Marino
New Guy - 20 year old dender.... seriously?....no one else kills penalties...and your one injuries away from piecemealing an already less than ideal situation. That's largely what happened this season.

This is not smart...25-30% of all goals are scored on the PP. This is not trivial.

We went from the 4th ranked PK in 2023 to the 10th ranked in 2024...and it could get worse.

Reactions: JK3

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
Hate it. Overpayment. You mean to tell me a 35 year old goalie who could turn to dogshit next year is worth a 1st round pick?
A late 1st round pick (which we should be viewing this as) yes he is. If Markstrom doesn't turn to dog shit & has a good year he would easily fetch a 1st from a playoff team who's weak at goaltending at the trade deadline. Now you obviously don't trade a top 10 pick for him but imagine the scenario of your team is making the playoffs (so you're picking let's say pick #25 as an example), it's trade deadline time and your goalie situation is in question, you have a retained Markstrom who is playing really good. You're telling me you don't pull the trigger and trade pick #25 for him knowing you now have a good starter in the playoffs? Teams hand out 1sts like candy at the trade deadline to rental wingers. A starting goalie is definitely more important than adding a top 6 winger to most teams when entering the playoffs.

Reactions: My3Sons

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Fitz is postdating a lot of checks between this and some recent moves. I hope he gets away with it but man this is playing fast and loose with no more buy ins.

In fairness, this is how he should be playing it at this point of the team's life. If it works, nobody cares. If it doesn't, he won't be here to worry about it lol

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
What I miss
IMG_6093.jpeg

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Reactionary move by Fitz that won't do ANYTHING.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope everyone here is screenshotting my anger and a year from now making me eat crow. Right now I don't want to hear about the summer of f***ing Fitz or Fitz magic. This is more than we gave up for Cory who was a WHOLE DECADE YOUNGER

Was there a Cory level available for less?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad