Confirmed with Link: (G) J. Markstrom (30% retention) traded to NJ for (D) Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st rd pick (Top 10 protected)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Luke 2nd pair, Siegenthaler 3rd pair...so you want to add a top pair LHD that can kill penalties?
Not particularly, as thatd be too expensive in a trade and toward the cap

But I would like a veteran 2nd pair guy to play above Luke for a year or two with Dougie; a fill-in of sorts so Luke isnt against top competition while hes still so raw

Some might say Siegenthaler is that defenseman but I am not that big a fan of his and think his one very good year was maybe an outlier

Reactions: JimEIV

CalamityX23

May 2, 2023
Because 23 year old defenseman rarely hit their ceiling after like 140 games? Esp when thrust into first pair roles they aren't ready for and they are frigging 6'6'.

Look, the guy isn't exactly going to bloom into Chara, but small, non physical team who already needed a physical defense first Dman as their biggest need just got smaller and weaker and got one or two years of a very good goaltenders IF WE ARE REALLY LUCKY.

you guys know what I think about goaltenders playing behind bad teams. I don't see how we got better here.

Jake Allen was frigging terrific and didn't fix the problem and we actually just got worse before you even factor the 10oa in.
People are underrating how small we just got while overating how easy it's to feel

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
Goalies are voodoo. However, I would much rather have a goalie that has proven he is capable of elite performance, even if inconsistent, than a guy who is a projection the way Vitek was. Markstrom was having an elite season until he fell off a cliff late in the year. I have no doubt that was due to the fiasco at the trade deadline. So much of it with goalies is between the ears and he may have checked out. We can quantify that Markstrom has had really good seasons two of the last 3. It doesn’t make him a sure thing but it invokes more confidence in me compared to guys like Gustavson on the Wild or Kahk, who have potential but are not proven commodities. Call it VV PTSD if you like.

We keep our 10OA which I fully expected in a deal for Markstrom AND Holtz, too? I’d call that a win. Holtz seems to have nine lives with us or he could be used as a trade chip in another trade (perhaps one to bring us a bonafide top 6 winger). There’s a lot to like here, guys. Nicely done, Fitz.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
People are underrating how small we just got while overating how easy it's to feel
https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F93d89c60-729a-4d38-9486-3ae5bbc62eb0_1080x1080.jpeg

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'd like to get bigger but losing size that doesn't really play up to their size does nothing for me. You'd be better off with gritty smaller players than blase bigger players who just take up space.
I'd rather have the bigger player taking up space.

I don't need grit from my defenders...pure meanness is good. But not necessary to defend well.

Taking up space is pretty effective if you manage to stay in position.

Reach for a defender is also a pretty good thing to have. Stick on puck, closing lanes it's all a lot easier for long rangy defender than it is for a 5'10 guy.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
And he'll say f*** you to the devils, assuming he doesn't sign a long-term deal with his new team.
Some days I feel like I can be an irrational fan.

Then I see someone saying we’re going to miss our shot at re-signing Kahkonen in a few years because he might sign a long term deal with his new team.

This place makes me feel good about myself. And I thanks ya for it.

Incharge1976

Mar 4, 2011
I really don't care about next year's 1st, nor do I care about the 10OA, or Bahl. Honestly, if someone came along and said we would be guaranteed to win 3 cups in the next 8 years if we had to trade any or all of our stars tomorrow to do so, I wouldn't love it but I'd do it.

The goal is to win cups and not be in and out of the playoffs every other year. If this trade moves them closer, so be it. We simply could not go into the season with what we had if we want to seriously contend. This team had a huge issue between the pipes and players who want a real chance to win the cup aren't going to want to come to NJ when the goalies are Swiss cheese.

Hopefully Markstrom, a few of our stars getting healthy, and a few adds get us back to being a top team next year.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
And yeah — anyone lamenting Bahl’s absence because of his size is pretty obviously outed as someone who looks at a player card to evaluate these guys rather than a single shift of their NHL career.

Kevin Bahl plays like he’s 6’-1 165. Who cares if you’re built like a brick shithouse if you are unwilling/incapable of using that size in any capacity?

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
And yeah — anyone lamenting Bahl’s absence because of his size is pretty obviously outed as someone who looks at a player card to evaluate these guys rather than a single shift of their NHL career.

Kevin Bahl plays like he’s 6’-1 165. Who cares if you’re built like a brick shithouse if you are unwilling/incapable of using that size in any capacity?
While its true Bahl did not use his size as effectively as he could have, he was one of the team's more physical players. And this, I think, says more about the roster makeup than Kevin Bahl

I can see why Fitzgerald wants to be tougher to play against but also understand why he still moved Bahl; though I am admittedly intrigued by the choice, as you cant teach size

Random but I personally hope we stay away from Zadorov as a solution to this

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I liked Kahkonen too but the guy played all of 6 games for us, so I'm not sure it's really worth the hand ringing that we let him go.

I’m not even wringing my hands that much, because Kahkonen a UFA, presumably wants to hit the UFA market.

I think he’s a good goalie though and whenever he gets hot in the future you know what’s coming.

Anytime Any Ex-Devil Succeeds = Bitter Griping

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I sat and thought about this for a while and still doesn't make sense to me to give up premium assets to get a 35 year old goalie that was out multiple times last season with groin injuries.

It just smells like a really bad move to me.

Markstrom’s missed games in 23-24

Games 13-14 (2)
11/10, 11/11
Reason: Upper Body Injury

Game 22
11/27
Reason: Flu

Games 27-31 (7)
12/5 - 12/16
Reason: Broken Finger

Games 44-46 (3)
1/16 - 1/20
Reason: Lower Body Injury

Games 65-68 (4)
3/12 - 3/18
Reason: Lower Body Injury

So “multiple times” is twice at most.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
If Bahl keeps developing than at best he is probably a #4 Dman on trams depth chart. He doesn't have the hugh end skating ability or offensive upside to be anything higher than that.

For some reason after watching the Panthers I'd say Bahl could be a good 3rd pairing guy like the roles Kulikov/Ekman-Larsson/Mikkola are playing for Florida. Basically 15 to 18 minutes a game and heavy penalty killing usage. You need old players like that to round out your defense and step in with injures as well. They are valuable but they are certainly not a "premium asset".

Still stings a bit to see him go. Maybe Misyul can get in as the 7th Dman this year.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The term premium asset is getting thrown around way too liberally today lol

A first round pick is a premium asset, no doubt. Especially because it's still a coin flip whether this team will rebound the way most are assuming it will. There is a very real chance that pick ends up being 11 to 15 range, which would be an absolute killer for an old, stopgap goalie.

That said, I still much prefer this scenario to basically all of the alternatives.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
Another benefit to this trade, is that Fitz didn’t give up any goalie prospects.

There were stretches, when Daws or Schmid were the Devils best goaltenders.

The Devils went from Schmid being the backup/starter to being a 3rd or 4th goalie.
i agree with this - at least where set up that if one of them steps up we can still have our franchise long term goalie in the system without ruining them prematurely, and there’s opportunity for them now if they deserve it

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Another benefit to this trade, is that Fitz didn’t give up any goalie prospects.

There were stretches, when Daws or Schmid were the Devils best goaltenders.

The Devils went from Schmid being the backup/starter to being a 3rd or 4th goalie.
If none move, I do wonder what the near term plan is for Schmid, Daws and Poulter though...can't really play them all at the same time in the AHL and Poulter proved he was too good for the ECHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad