GDT: Free Agency Frenzy July 1st @ 12pm ET (Apparently it's not 12pm)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Who could have foreseen this!!!!?!?
Should have listened to you lol. Honestly these last 3 seasons have been a disaster in terms of building a championship caliber team. Assets thrown down the drain, re-signing and signing guys that aren’t good enough to crippling contracts like Zibanejad. Now the Rangers are once again in a spot where they have to spend too much on a goalie just to keep them relevant. Terrible.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Serious question, aside from getting lucky for 3 straight rounds, do you believe the team as it is right now with a deadline trade or two can win the cup?

Again, as I mentioned earlier, free agency wasn't ever going to be the answer, but today *reminded* us the team *can't* win the cup with this defense at least.

A lot of work needs to be done to put them over the edge.

Instead we get:

Lindgren getting resigned and playing with Fox for 5 more years or whatever is nauseating for some of us. Trouba's trade in limbo and more bad PR for the brass requires TUMS. Gus being replaced with Jones, maybe, is *OK* at best.

Good team, but not cup level talent as we have all seen. Luck and surprises could happen, but team needs a defense overhaul badly. Miller wasn't even that good and we are stockpiling capspace to give him a longterm overpaid deal.
First of all they didn't get lucky for 3 rounds. They swept Washington and played fine against Carolina. They were dominated by Florida though. They weren't good enough which I have mentioned. They are still a very good team. It's day 1 of FA and you don't know what is going to happen with the defense. Maybe there is a trade. We don't know. I think Jones will get his shot and I think he will do well. I do think they need another move to upgrade the D and think there is time for that. I also look at things like the additions today, Chytil being healthy, Edstrom, Rempe, Berard, and Othmann pushing for spots, Laf continuing to grow, Kakko having a better year. It all adds up to being a better team than the team that had the most points in the league last year. I also feel Carolina and Florida will be worse so the east is there for the talking. I'm positive. Sue me.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
The Trouba stuff leaking to the media was terrible. You have a player with a history of forcing his way to a certain destination and an aggressive agent. I blame Trouba for neither of those two things. Drury should know better. They might have been able to work something out behind closed doors where all sides preserve their dignity and Trouba and his family are given the ability to have input into the decision. Not saying Drury was wrong to investigate but the way everything unfolded was unprofessional. You can hate Trouba as a player but it's not like he's out there dogging it and not trying hard. I don't trust Brooks on this story but I do trust Friedman and Friedman said Trouba was very unhappy about all of this. I would be too.

The residency is a massive deal for that family. Drury knows their situation. He knows about the NTC and the NMC. He knows about Overhardt. None of this should have been surprising. Drury needs to find the mole in the organization quickly so this doesn't happen again. This should have been handled better.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Wait, wait, wait:

"There is no guarantee that Jacob Trouba would accept a trade even to a club on his approved list if that means leaving his wife and nine-month-old (as of training camp) behind. It is not as if Dr. Tyson-Trouba can pick up, transfer her credits to another hospital, accompany her husband and still be licensed as a physician."

Why would he have to accept a trade to a team on his list? Isn't that the point? Is Uncle Larry implying that Trouba wouldn't play next season for any team if he's traded?
Because he can refuse to report to the new club.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I'm nervous about the Trouba thing. I don't want Drury to punt because he didn't get the deal he wanted. No, you need to get this shithead off the ice.
Seems like that’s what we are gonna do (punt) per Brooks now.

This combined with the literal no effort to get in on Chychrun means we are punting this season too.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
The Trouba stuff leaking to the media was terrible. You have a player with a history of forcing his way to a certain destination and an aggressive agent. I blame Trouba for neither of those two things. Drury should know better. They might have been able to work something out behind closed doors where all sides preserve their dignity and Trouba and his family are given the ability to have input into the decision. Not saying Drury was wrong to investigate but the way everything unfolded was unprofessional. You can hate Trouba as a player but it's not like he's out there dogging it and not trying hard. I don't trust Brooks on this story but I do trust Friedman and Friedman said Trouba was very unhappy about all of this. I would be too.

The residency is a massive deal for that family. Drury knows their situation. He knows about the NTC and the NMC. He knows about Overhardt. None of this should have been surprising. Drury needs to find the mole in the organization quickly so this doesn't happen again. This should have been handled better.
Jim Ramsay?

LiveLongandProspal

NY Rangers = America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Does Dr. Tyson-Trouba know that her husband is a liability on the ice and isn't worth close to the 8M per he's making a year?

If Trouba wasn't a penalty-making, cheap-shot machine, a black hole on offense, and a guy who makes boneheaded defensive plays every f***ing game, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

It's not Trouba's fault he got the contract that he did, but it is his fault that he's been mostly ass since he signed it.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

This combined with the literal no effort to get in on Chychrun means we are punting this season too.

I think people forget how young this D corp is. Fox, Schneider, Lindgren, Miller and Jones are all 25 and under. There's room for growth there - particularly Jones, Schneider and Miller.

The Chychrun thing is a tough one - I guess without the ability to move Trouba the Rangers needed to figure out where the larger need was - D or RW. I guess they picked RW.

Seeing some of the numbers getting tossed around today I'm not seeing what, realistically, the Rangers could've done to better address that right side.

Reactions: Barnaby

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
I won’t disagree that would have been ideal to move him before but anything outside of the one RFA year he has would be a massive failure.

I don’t even like the RFA season but if he and others really want to prove that last year was just an “off” year that would be the best way for him to do it.

I’d rather just sign a stop gap for the time being and revisit this at the deadline.
1 year at the arbitration number is probably the compromise. There is no depth in Hartford. We need bodies on defense. Really don't understand why there was no depth defensemen signed like in previous years. If they planned on moving on from these guys, you would think they would have brought in a few guys.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
First of all they didn't get lucky for 3 rounds. They swept Washington and played fine against Carolina. They were dominated by Florida though. They weren't good enough which I have mentioned. They are still a very good team. It's day 1 of FA and you don't know what is going to happen with the defense. Maybe there is a trade. We don't know. I think Jones will get his shot and I think he will do well. I do think they need another move to upgrade the D and think there is time for that. I also look at things like the additions today, Chytil being healthy, Edstrom, Rempe, Berard, and Othmann pushing for spots, Laf continuing to grow, Kakko having a better year. It all adds up to being a better team than the team that had the most points in the league last year. I also feel Carolina and Florida will be worse so the east is there for the talking. I'm positive. Sue me.
No one should dim your light - but want to clarify, I didn't mean they got lucky just last year. A coin flip series against Carolina means they got lucky in my book, but its not the bad kind, just the typical luck you need to move on. Carolina played fine. I am saying for them to win the cup, they would need to get really really lucky rounds 2, 3, and 4 next year and beyond with this group. With Trouba playing meaningful minutes, they cannot win the cup. He is that bad.

Carolina will be the same system - meaning we can beat them but they will be very good. Florida we still don't match up well, their top end is still better. Toronto got a bit better. NJD got better, Boston got another player. We, so far, kept Trouba. I mean, I am hoping for a defensive miracle, but you don't bet on miracles!

Reactions: Atax

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I find it hilarious how I'm the epitome of angry and negative and yet posters like @DialUp literally think everything this team ever does well is luck.

Reactions: Barnaby

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

Get a grip. They are not punting on anything. They made 2 solid additions today plus they already have a good team plus hopefully a healthy Chytil, better season from Kakko, young guys like Rempe, Edstrom, Jones, Berard, and Othmann pushing for spots. There is a lot of good here added to a team that had 114 points last year. The negative talk here is lunacy.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Feeling like Trouba and Lindgren will both be among the Opening Day's six defenseman......
jump-off.gif

LiveLongandProspal

NY Rangers = America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Get a grip. They are not punting on anything. They made 2 solid additions today plus they already have a good team plus hopefully a healthy Chytil, better season from Kakko, young guys like Rempe, Edstrom, Jones, Berard, and Othmann pushing for spots. There is a lot of good here added to a team that had 114 points last year. The negative talk here is lunacy.

And yet we still don't have a #1 LD nor do we have a #1 RW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad