Confirmed with Link: (G) J. Markstrom (30% retention) traded to NJ for (D) Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st rd pick (Top 10 protected)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I sat and thought about this for a while and still doesn't make sense to me to give up premium assets to get a 35 year old goalie that was out multiple times last season with groin injuries.

It just smells like a really bad move to me.
Agree that the trade could go poorly. It happens. There were going to be concerns regardless of what direction they went.

Disagree that there are any "premium assets" involved in this transaction for either team

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Agree that the trade could go poorly. It happens. There were going to be concerns regardless of what direction they went.

Disagree that there are any "premium assets" involved in this transaction for either team
A first round pick and a starting 23 year old Dman aren't premium assets?

Just think we gave up a 2nd and 4th for Micro Mueller...

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I just hope he comes in and plays well. As long as him and Allen can stay healthy we should have an upgrade in net over last year.

There is a huge logjam though with Schmid , Daws and Poulter in the AHL. Not to mention Brennan probably looking for some playing time. Its gonna he tough for them to get any NHL action next season unless there are some injuries. It would be nice to know if they can be trusted to be the backup for the 25-26 season. Kind of crazy considering Schmid and Daws both have shined at times in the NHL for us.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

Kevin Bahl is not a premium asset, no. Sure, the first round pick is what it is, but the goaltending market is about as upside down as I can remember with a surplus of buyers and not enough sellers.

There is obvious risk with the move, but Fitz’s hands were as close to tied as can be with needing to make a move for a more proven commodity after years of potential band aids not working. Even if this is a larger band aid, Markstrom has been one of the better goalies in the league over the past few season analytically and Fitz really didn’t give up much given the first is next year and top 10 protected on top of the salary retention.

This move still provides us flexibility without having to give up more assets in addition to an extension for guys like Ullmark or Saros. If you need a goalie in this market, you have to pay some sort of price. I don’t think the price we paid was that exorbitant.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

Look at what first round picks, particularly middle and late round firsts, often get traded for. No, it's not a premium asset. At least not to the NHL.

"Starting 23 year old dman", also known as a soon to be 24 year old, offensively inept third pairing dman who may have some defensive upside. He's JAG.

No, he's not a premium asset.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Premium asset Kevin Bahl

1718846374637.png

Saint Beaurivage

Jersey Shore
Nov 18, 2017
This goalie's career already peaked, why on earth would you give up your 10th pick for a 34 year old goalie? Isn't this goalie hitting free agency after this season? I could care less about giving up Bahl, but kind of feel Fitzpatrick through that asset out to save his job.

Really stupid trade, sorry. This team is nowhere close to competing with Panthers or Oilers right now. We could have used that pick for a strong younger player. Our GM is looking like a dumb rookie.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
I know some people are a little burnt out on the Crawford and Bernier experiences but not all goalies age the same. Guys like Craig Anderson and Mike Smith had some of their best years around age 34 and remained decent tandem options up until age 40. Markstrom was very good last year before Calgary was gutted at the deadline (plus the fact they spent all that time convincing him to waive, agreed to a trade, and then had that trade nixed because the owner didn't want to retain....so I'm guessing he himself stopped trying).

Also: The Athletic article really loves this trade for us

Last edited:

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
This goalie's career already peaked, why on earth would you give up your 10th pick for a 34 year old goalie? Isn't this goalie hitting free agency after this season? I could care less about giving up Bahl, but kind of feel Fitzpatrick through that asset out to save his job.

Really stupid trade, sorry. This team is nowhere close the Panthers or Oilers. We could have used that pick for a strong younger player. Our GM is looking like a dumb rookie.
but we didn't give them 10th...dude

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Really stupid trade, sorry. This team is nowhere close the Panthers or Oilers. We could have used that pick for a strong younger player. Our GM is looking like a dumb rookie.

It's not this year's first, it's top 10 protected for next year and no Markstrom has 2 years left and got retained 31%.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Boy do I have some good news for you

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY

Really stupid trade, sorry. This team is nowhere close to competing with Panthers or Oilers right now. We could have used that pick for a strong younger player. Our GM is looking like a dumb rookie.

How many four loko did you have on the Jersey shore today?

Last edited:

MWagg72

May 9, 2021

You know what I changed my mine....terrible asset management to include the 10oa pick this year! I just don't know why all the reports didn't mention it but Fitz got fleeced!

Reactions: Guttersniped

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
It’s really simple.

Let’s say Fitz was able to get Ullmark or Saros and by some miracle the trade cost was the same, there was a risk of losing them within the year or giving them a 7/8 mil AVV contract x7.

The Devils keep any top 10 pick, kept Holtz/Mercer and only lost Bahl for a cost controlled goalie. Markstrom short term contract is more a benefit, than a hinderance. The first was for cap flexibility.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Kevin Bahl is not a premium asset, no. Sure, the first round pick is what it is, but the goaltending market is about as upside down as I can remember with a surplus of buyers and not enough sellers.

There is obvious risk with the move, but Fitz’s hands were as close to tied as can be with needing to make a move for a more proven commodity after years of potential band aids not working. Even if this is a larger band aid, Markstrom has been one of the better goalies in the league over the past few season analytically and Fitz really didn’t give up much given the first is next year and top 10 protected on top of the salary retention.

This move still provides us flexibility without having to give up more assets in addition to an extension for guys like Ullmark or Saros. If you need a goalie in this market, you have to pay some sort of price. I don’t think the price we paid was that exorbitant.
How is Markstrom one of the better goalies in the league over the last few years

Here are all the goalies that have played more than 120 games over the last 3 years...there are 25 of them. Markstrom is 15th in Save% over that time. He's barely better than Vitek who's 19th on the list....

But beyond that ..past performance of of 35 year old is tenuous at best.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

We don’t have the talentless toilet paper lineup with no prospects anymore. Kevin Bahl is nowhere close to a premium asset on this team.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
How is Markstrom one of the better goalies in the league over the last few years

Here are all the goalies that have played more than 120 games over the last 3 years...there are 25 of them. Markstrom is 13th in Save% over that time. He's barely better than Vitek who's 19th on the list....

But beyond that ..past performance of of 35 year old is tenuous at best.
Couple of good posts about Markstrom:

Quite a few analytics guys that put his goaltending performance last year as top five in the league. Micah McCurdy even goes out of his way to say that Markstrom is a goaltender where SV% unfairly paints him in a bad light.

Goaltending is a particular position where it’s really hard to judge based on a lot of factors. Analytics there seem to be particularly useful.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Kevin Bahl was easily the 3rd best young defender in the organization after Luke and Nemec...and our prospects do suck... except for Casey.
Depending on who Fitzgerald gets to address the defense, it makes a bit of sense to move on from Bahl though. It would continue to be rough goings trying to develop Bahl at the same time as Luke/Nemec.

Given the make up of our D, I’d much rather swap Bahl for a guy like Dillon. Would give you four veterans, Luke, and Nemec as your main D core. A passable Smith type as #7 would be even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad