G Dustin Wolf (2019, 214th, CGY)

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I think it has a lot more to do with Markström than with Vladar. Without Vladar, some other dude would be in his spot. It's Markström and the team's poor performance but mostly roster flexibility.

Some other dude wouldn't be making 2 million for an extra year

aqsw

PM
Sponsor
Dec 11, 2004
Winnipeg
I agree if he's ready he should have a spot if he's better than the alternative. You don't want to piss off your best prospect when he feels (and deserves) an nhl paycheck.. His time will come when it signing time and he might have a very good memory of what they pulled on him.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Pretty funny that his first few games at the NHL level led him to be left off most top prospect lists.

Guy is consistently ranked way below Askarov despite the fact that he’s had way better numbers until this year. I don’t think Wolf had a great year in the AHL, this is his worst season and Askarov’s best, and yet his save percentage is still better than Askarov (.923 to .915)

Consensus was that he was at best the 4th best goalie prospect coming into this season despite his accolades. Another example of the ‘geniuses’ that rank prospects around here and on the internet

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Pretty funny that his first few games at the NHL level led him to be left off most top prospect lists.

Guy is consistently ranked way below Askarov despite the fact that he’s had way better numbers until this year. I don’t think Wolf had a great year in the AHL, this is his worst season and Askarov’s best, and yet his save percentage is still better than Askarov (.923 to .915)

Consensus was that he was at best the 4th best goalie prospect coming into this season despite his accolades. Another example of the ‘geniuses’ that rank prospects around here and on the internet
Both him and Devon Levi suffered from the exact same thing. Early struggles when they weren’t quite ready and hadn’t made the adjustments yet for the NHL in their first stints. So goalies who hadn’t had to face that challenge yet got put ahead of them. This years development path for Wolf seems to have done wonders. Give him a stint of 5 games in December to introduce him to the AHL. Send him down with some identified things for him to work on. Bring him up for another brief taste and an update on his progress. Now he’s being handed a role after a year of work and this is the best he’s looked by far.

Reactions: Fantomas

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Curious what his stats are after 20.nhl games. Think he's at 12 now. 3 wins and near .890.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Interested to see how Wolf looks in 2024-25 in an extended run.

Still crazy to me that none of the California teams drafted him. Gilroy native (Sharks territory), moved to Tustin (Ducks territory), played minor hockey with the Jr Kings.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Dustin Wolf has three full seasons in the AHL.

He’s never had a save percentage below .922.

This is one of those cases where a player actually doesn’t have anything left to learn at a particular level.

The AHL doesn’t have anyone who can challenge Wolf - he has too big a book on them.

He needs to face NHL competition for a full season, with at least a 50/50 workload.

He’s obviously a supremely gifted athlete - I haven’t seen a goalie move like Wolf since prime Jonathan Quick.

His best win of the year was a 29 save win against Vegas where he allowed one goal.

He started 10 games in the final month of the season. The team had sold off over half its opening night blue line, and objectively, they were icing a defense with one NHL pairing post-deadline.

The best thing for Wolf now is to get shelled like he’s at Verdun. It’s the only way he’ll learn.

Good news for the flames, results are kinda secondary next year.

So as long as he’s making spectacular saves with regularity and not allowing a bunch of leaky demoralizing shots, let him cook.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Interested to see how Wolf looks in 2024-25 in an extended run.

Still crazy to me that none of the California teams drafted him. Gilroy native (Sharks territory), moved to Tustin (Ducks territory), played minor hockey with the Jr Kings.
Sharks are horrible at goalie scouting. Haven’t had a solid starter since Nabokov.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax

Because yes only 6 feet tall. If he was 6’4, they’d he calling him generational.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Because yes only 6 feet tall. If he was 6’4, they’d he calling him generational.

If he was 6'4 he'd be an entirely different goalie. He wouldn't keep his feet as well or be able to move laterally like he does. He would have been coached to just be big and block.

Would he still be a great goaltending prospect? I dunno maybe. But he's built his game to be successful despite of his physical limitations, so I really don't think you could label him as a would be generational goalie prospect if he was 4" taller.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Dustin Wolf has three full seasons in the AHL.

He’s never had a save percentage below .922.

This is one of those cases where a player actually doesn’t have anything left to learn at a particular level.

The AHL doesn’t have anyone who can challenge Wolf - he has too big a book on them.

He needs to face NHL competition for a full season, with at least a 50/50 workload.

He’s obviously a supremely gifted athlete - I haven’t seen a goalie move like Wolf since prime Jonathan Quick.

His best win of the year was a 29 save win against Vegas where he allowed one goal.

He started 10 games in the final month of the season. The team had sold off over half its opening night blue line, and objectively, they were icing a defense with one NHL pairing post-deadline.

The best thing for Wolf now is to get shelled like he’s at Verdun. It’s the only way he’ll learn.

Good news for the flames, results are kinda secondary next year.

So as long as he’s making spectacular saves with regularity and not allowing a bunch of leaky demoralizing shots, let him cook.
I might regret asking but as someone from Montreal, I am left wondering what this expression means...

edit- checked wiki. As a history major instantly regrets asking.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
100% disagree especially with side to tracking, side movement and rebound control. I don't know how you can say he's technically sound either. What you're seeing is called system effect. When you watch the system get overrun like it's apt to do with more high powered offensive teams (not the 2nd and 3rd worst offenses like where his 2 shutouts came from), he looks terrible. It's why a 19 year old rookie with huge athleticism issues can come in as his backup and look decent. Is Joel Hofer the next big WHL goalie because he's looked great. Wolf to me looks like a great WHL goalie. That's as far as the puck goes there. It's why in higher level play like even at the showcase this summer he was shelled.

I wish you were still around so you could explain how the "system effect" seems to follow Wolf no matter the team or system.

HighLifeManIsHigh

McDave is a loser lol
Feb 27, 2006
He looks really good. As the above poster said, he looks very calm in net, everything seems to be hitting him in the chest. He’s never out of position. This is a great start for Wolf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad