Future "What if...?": Crosby's Final Years

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
According to MacKinnon, Crosby and McDavid meet up at his summer league and insist on playing together on the same line and they just dominate everyone else including MacK's squad, lol.

If Crosby was willing to take less and this is more about legacy, Edmonton probably could hold some appeal.

1.) Bringing the first Cup back to Canada since 1993 would cement Sid's legacy as one of the greatest Canadian players ever. Scored the golden goal in 2010 and ended Canada's drought ... that's not too shabby of two career book ends.

2.) Can be a Wayne to Mario Canada Cup '87 type moment where everyone (at least in Canada) was thrilled to see the two of them team up and even be on the same line. It's a pretty legendary part of both of their careers.

3.) He can take some credit for helping Connor get his first Cup. They haven't won yet so if he comes and helps them win, then the narrative (rightly or wrongly) will always be "Sid taught them how to be winners!".

4.) They will probably get closer as the co-captains of the next Team Canada.

5.) You gotta figure there probably would be a few million bucks in extra marketing dollars both Crosby and McDavid would score, it would be the biggest sports story in Canada in forever and a lot of big sponsors in the country would want them for deals here (ie: McDonalds Canada, they could also piggy back off each other's marketing, like McDavid getting Tim Horton's, and Crosby getting Rogers and CIBC deals).

Now Edmonton would have to dump some salary to make room for Crosby (notably Kane), but again if he's at the stage of his career where he's made plenty of money and just wants another Cup, winning one in Edmonton and ending the Canadian Cup drought would be a pretty nice feather in the cap to wind up one's career with.

He could then honestly go back to Pittsburgh and retire for good there, I think he should finish his career there. Montreal just isn't at the point where adding him put's that team over the top for a Cup, they might not even make the playoffs.

Last edited:

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
He’s already cemented himself as the 5th best player in league history. Just enjoy your final twilight years in Pittsburgh, Crosby. Don’t sully yourself by chasing another cup.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I'd say it's Pittsburgh 90%, Colorado 9%, anyone else 1%.

At this point he can do what he wants, I wouldn't hold it against him if he wants to try for another cup. Colorado+Crosby would be something special to watch.

Reactions: God

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
According to MacKinnon, Crosby and McDavid meet up at his summer league and insist on playing together on the same line and they just dominate everyone else including MacK's squad, lol.

If Crosby was willing to take less and this is more about legacy, Edmonton probably could hold some appeal.

1.) Bringing the first Cup back to Canada since 1993 would cement Sid's legacy as one of the greatest Canadian players ever. Scored the golden goal in 2010 and ended Canada's drought ... that's not too shabby of two career book ends.

2.) Can be a Wayne to Mario Canada Cup '87 type moment where everyone (at least in Canada) was thrilled to see the two of them team up and even be on the same line. It's a pretty legendary part of both of their careers.

3.) He can take some credit for helping Connor get his first Cup. They haven't won yet so if he comes and helps them win, then the narrative (rightly or wrongly) will always be "Sid taught them how to be winners!".

4.) They will probably get closer as the co-captains of the next Team Canada.

5.) You gotta figure there probably would be a few million bucks in extra marketing dollars both Crosby and McDavid would score, it would be the biggest sports story in Canada in forever and a lot of big sponsors in the country would want them for deals here (ie: McDonalds Canada, they could also piggy back off each other's marketing, like McDavid getting Tim Horton's, and Crosby getting Rogers and CIBC deals).

Now Edmonton would have to dump some salary to make room for Crosby (notably Kane), but again if he's at the stage of his career where he's made plenty of money and just wants another Cup, winning one in Edmonton and ending the Canadian Cup drought would be a pretty nice feather in the cap to wind up one's career with.

He could then honestly go back to Pittsburgh and retire for good there, I think he should finish his career there. Montreal just isn't at the point where adding him put's that team over the top for a Cup, they might not even make the playoffs.
If not Colorado I could see Edmonton or Vancouver for the Canada angle. I doubt he cares about the money, despite the cap hit he's only making $3M this year. He's a competitor and wants to win. Penguins are circling the drain which has to be depressing for him.

Reactions: Sexy Necksy Garland

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I think Minnesota is an under the radar landing spot for him if things break out a certain way. They get $13MM in cap space back during this season, Bill Guerin is the GM, Fleury on the team for a retirement tour, Crosby previously played in MN by choice at Shattuck.

The Wild have a need for a scoring center with opportunity to play with Kaprizov or Boldy while JEE takes all of the hard Center matchup situations. MN also has a well stocked prospect and pick pool to offer from, and a history of trades with the Pens under Guerin.

Extremely unlikely, but belongs within the realm of options, I guarantee Guerin puts in an offer if it gets to that point and the Wild are in solid playoff position.

Reactions: HabzSauce

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
If I'm Crosby my decision to leave would've been made the minute fenway handed a clown like Dubas a blank cheque. Bringing in a useless $10m D-man and letting Guentzel go would've sealed it.

Now the Montreal delusion is hilarious. And I'm not sure where OP is getting Winnipeg from.

My guess is he ends up in Colorado, with Boston/Vegas/Tampa distantly behind in the odds.

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
He's not going to leave, but if he did decide to leave, it would definitely be to try to win more cups. Looking at Colorado between how good they are and how MacKinnon is on their team, I'd be downright floored if he'd go anywhere else but Colorado.

He's not leaving Pittsburgh to go to play for someone like Montreal or Winnipeg. I'd put it at easily 90% Colorado and 10% the field if he left.
You were saying ?

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
Let me just state something before anything else, because I know there will be people who will want to make fun of this thread. I do believe that Crosby will finish his career in Pittsburgh. So, if he ends up signing somewhere else as a FA or gets traded this season, I will be shocked. This is just done for fun.

With that said, Crosby has yet to sign a new contract with the Pens, and some journalists, experts, fans, etc. have started talking about what other team could possibly try to get Crosby. The teams that get the most mentions (as far as I can tell) are: Detroit, Colorado, Winnipeg, Dallas, Las Vegas, and Montreal.

Now my questions for everyone here are pretty simple. IF Crosby ended up not staying in Pittsburgh, which of these six teams do you think would be more likely to get him? What percentage chance would you give each of these teams to obtain Sid? And, finally, is there another team not mentioned here that you could see gunning for him?

I'll start.

1) Colorado (30%)
2) Las Vegas (20%)
3) Detroit (20%)
4) Dallas (15%)
5) Montreal (10%)
6) Winnipeg (5%)
Can you do one “what if” series about Ovi’s final year too please

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Personally if crosby left to the avs id hold no resentment. Take another stab at a cup. Hes still an elite center and wont just be riding a bus. He has done it all in pittsburgh and on multiple occasions

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Lol why would he go play for Montreal?

If he's leaving Pittsburgh, it's to try to win more cups.
if he went to Montreal next year, what makes you think it wouldn't be for a cup.

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Laine - Crosby - Demidov
Newhook - Dach - Roy
Anderson - Kapanen/Beck - Gally

feel free to try and flame that lineup....but that would be at or near the top of the league.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
He's not going to leave, but if he did decide to leave, it would definitely be to try to win more cups. Looking at Colorado between how good they are and how MacKinnon is on their team, I'd be downright floored if he'd go anywhere else but Colorado.

He's not leaving Pittsburgh to go to play for someone like Montreal or Winnipeg. I'd put it at easily 90% Colorado and 10% the field if he left.
Boston is a possibility. He's also very close with Marchand and Crosby would by default be Boston's top center.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
I don’t understand this idea that Montreal has the “best legacy”.

Maybe they did 30-40 years ago. But everything they’ve done since is very average.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
He has chosen to waste his final years, but it's his right.

I still say it's a total waste for everyone, the Pens need to suck again and rebuild, Sid is still a fantastic player and can help a team win/put them over the top. It doesn't take away from his legacy to leave nor does him staying add anything.

If anything a really cool arc would've been mercenary Sid see him on a few different contenders to try and win as many cups as possible. Then return for a few years when the Pens have a great prospect pool to help mentor the next generation.

The current situation seems the worst of all worlds, Sid isn't gonna win anything, the Pens aren't going to add any great prospects finishing in the 9-12 spot every year not does it help Sid's legacy in Pittsburgh/Hockey in general.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
if he went to Montreal next year, what makes you think it wouldn't be for a cup.

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Laine - Crosby - Demidov
Newhook - Dach - Roy

feel free to try and flame that lineup....but that would be at or near the top of the league.

We’ll see how the young guys progress, but considering Montreal iced only one top 4 dman last year, I’m not sure I’d be talking Cup just yet

• Haha
Reactions: Miller Time

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Colorado makes zero sense unless people think Crosby will take a big pay cut.

Rantanen's new contract will chew up any cap flex, plus Drouin & Georgiev needing new contracts. Can't bank on both Nichuskin & Landy both being LTIR again next year.

Edm is equally nonsensical. With McD & Bouchard extension already a challenge to fit in that will require gutting depth further, no way the fit Crosby in unless he's taking an IOU.

Odds are he stays put. Seems the most likely scenario (including if he agrees to a deadline trade to a contender to play POs this year & then re-signs with Pens in the summer and they re-tool quicker with assets his trade brought in... That's the only scenario where going to Col or Edm makes sense, a 1 & done cup run).

If he moves next summer, Montreal is the most likely landing spot all things considered (cap, roster situation & fit, personal motivation). Boston & Dallas if he wants a current contender, Calgary or Minny if he goes to the highest bidder.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
We’ll see how the young guys progress, but considering Montreal iced only one top 4 dman last year, I’m not sure I’d be talking Cup just yet

A post like this suggests either you didn't watch the Habs at all, and/or didn't watch much hockey at all...

For example, if one compared the Habs top 4 to the nucks top 4 last season, a very reasonable case to state that the Habs had the 3-4-5 best dmen of the 8 Ds in question, and perhaps even debate the #2 spot (especially with Hronek's mediocre 2nd 1/2)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Laine - Crosby - Demidov
Newhook - Dach - Roy

That forward lineup is nowhere even close to competing for a cup, and that's not touching on Montreal's defense or goaltending either.

Could it be good enough one day? Sure, if Demidov hits his upside and their young top line continues to progress. But that's a huge if at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad