Confirmed with Link: JvR signed, 1 year 900k

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Not impressed. That of course may change later when I see how he'll gel with his linemates but I expect the lack of speed to be a problem for some of the forward lines.

The trade options must have been pretty bad.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not impressed. That of course may change later when I see how he'll gel with his linemates but I expect the lack of speed to be a problem for some of the forward lines.

I think the $900k price tag was a big part of the appeal.

They don't really seem interested in spending the money.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
If you're like me and in your head JvR is still in his prime and a 60ish point guy, that's a WHOAH signing :D

Still, seems like "why not" even in present day...

Reactions: Jovavic

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’d rather not see them give up anything at this point, they don’t have much to give

I agree, hence the overpaid player part. We wouldn't be paying, the player would either have no trade cost or we'd get an additional asset to take them on.

I've used Iafallo as an example because he's solid and a Jets fan brought him up here as an overpaid player they'd like to part with.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio

Unless a star player demands a trade (if they okay a trade to the CBJ), I don't see prospects getting better until next off-season. That is if we can attract anyone or having to overpay someone.

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023

Waddell said the trade options were bad in his Saturday media comments. Per Portzline in the Athletic "As of right now, there's nothing out there (on the trade market) that I'd be willing to do."

That suggests DW has been in contact with other teams, but the only options offered are unfavorable to CBJ.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Unless a star player demands a trade (if they okay a trade to the CBJ), I don't see prospects getting better until next off-season. That is if we can attract anyone or having to overpay someone.
You're probably correct but reaching a greater points total isn't, and maybe shouldn't be their main goal for the season. #1 is probably creating an environment that helps everyone to deal with the grief, and #2 imo is supporting future core players' development by surrounding them with right type of veterans (not "star" players necessarily, a modern day Jason Chimera could be a great fit if available).

Aiming for goals #1 and #2 might lead to Jackets finishing higher in the standings than last year but my point is it's a secondary concern.

Waddell said the trade options were bad in his Saturday media comments. Per Portzline in the Athletic "As of right now, there's nothing out there (on the trade market) that I'd be willing to do."

That suggests DW has been in contact with other teams, but the only options offered are unfavorable to CBJ.
He might be honest in saying this but it's only his opinion, my or your opinion could be different if we knew the options.

Reactions: majormajor

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
You're probably correct but reaching a greater points total isn't, and maybe shouldn't be their main goal for the season. #1 is probably creating an environment that helps everyone to deal with the grief, and #2 imo is supporting future core players' development by surrounding them with right type of veterans (not "star" players necessarily, a modern day Jason Chimera could be a great fit if available).

Aiming for goals #1 and #2 might lead to Jackets finishing higher in the standings than last year but my point is it's a secondary concern.
Sorry for this post

My point is pressure (internal personal pressure) on the young guys to produce goals with no safety net. The high scorers were Jenner and Marchy both in the low 20's of goals. That was with Johnny and now it falls on them and continually losing wears on players. My point is when they are ready to ascend, I don't want them to leave for more help already on other teams and cup chase. Then the CBJ is back starting to draft and develop again for other NHL Teams (farm club). This has been the way for the CBJ.

While #1 & #2 is ideal and part of it there has to be some growth and not just a throwaway season (which is the feeling). So points do matter for growth and hope for both players and fans.

Losing Johnny hurts not only on a personal front but allowed freedom for younger guys to find their way and not have to be the man. So doesn't have to be a Mitch Marner type but someone, who is a good teammate and can take up some of the slack. Can't just be Marchy, Jenner and Monahan, but again I don't see that happening this season. I think we will be better structurally and defensively but goal scoring will be way down = wins = points.

Again not being sky is falling but may be change it up and adopt more of a Vegas/Florida approach draft picks for players because JVR and possibly Kessel really doesn't even keep this team afloat. What does another top 5 pick garner the CBJ??? Another wait 1-2 years or so until this person arrive and another 1 -2 years before they possibly produce??

Look this is just a dietribe of my thoughts, while the Johnny Guadreau loss has sapped any of my passion for hockey or the start of this season. I just can't see how this team takes major steps forward.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
More than likely, however not always a given. It's a long ways to go between now and then and a lot can happen in the locker rooms and on the ice where a player can become a trade target.

The market is dry right now because everyone is hopeful that their FAs and kids in the system are going to take that next step. But players over/underperform and fail to step out or take a step back and there's always a player somewhere in the league who busts into stardom that nobody expects (honestly this is what the jackets are truly overdue for)

For the most part I would agree though.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
My point is pressure (internal personal pressure) on the young guys to produce goals with no safety net. The high scorers were Jenner and Marchy both in the low 20's of goals. That was with Johnny and now it falls on them and continually losing wears on players.
Losing Johnny hurts not only on a personal front but allowed freedom for younger guys to find their way and not have to be the man. So doesn't have to be a Mitch Marner type but someone, who is a good teammate and can take up some of the slack. Can't just be Marchy, Jenner and Monahan, but again I don't see that happening this season.
You have a point but I feel it is a bit exaggerated. It sucks to lose a quality playmaker and it most likely will have a negative effect on scoring but I'm not sure if there will be this overwhelming pressure for younger guys to produce. It's not like the pressure is falling on 1 or 2 completely inexperienced rookies. Chinakhov, Voronkov, Marchenko, KJ and Fantilli will get more ice time, and together they have plenty of scoring upside.

And even if they fail to score as many goals as you or I would like to see, I think Waddell is going to react to that in some other way than just being content with picking in top-5 once again. Remember his attempt to acquire Necas?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad