Value of: Future of Jonathan Drouin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ReimanSum1908

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
The man is checked out of hockey, and for his own health and happiness, should take his money, invest prudently, and retire.

His heart just isn't in it, even if he can't quite admit that to himself consciously.

2 goals and 18 ES assists in 58 games, with god awful underlying numbers, isn’t going to get him any interest.
You'd be shocked at the sheer number of teams more than willing to take a no-risk flyer on a player who "just wasn't in the right environment." It's like a desperate teenage girl, convincing herself that "she can fix him."

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
You'd be shocked at the sheer number of teams more than willing to take a no-risk flyer on a player who "just wasn't in the right environment." It's like a desperate teenage girl, convincing herself that "she can fix him."
If he’ll play for peanuts he could pop up somewhere but I feel like the missed games, injuries and personal problems, combined with not producing while being that one dimensional makes him pretty unattractive as a pickup.

The lack of goals is the real killer and that’s been a problem for a while. Finishing isn’t something that typically gets better as you near 30, I just don’t see what teams can fix.

Reactions: ReimanSum1908

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'd bring him back to TB and see if we could get something out of him. He was showing a lot of promise when he was here, which obviously got spoiled by the attitude issues. But if he came in humble, and suuuuuper cheap, I think he could replace one of our out-going contracts.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Probably gets a two-way contract or at most league minimum to prove he's still got it. I'd be open to my team picking him up as a 13th/ 14th skater when we need an offensive boost but that's about it.

Frankly debating whether to give the ice time to him or Kravtsov, since neither have proven to be worth more time lately.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I expect he'll receive a couple of PTOs from teams looking to add some creativity for a low cost. Doubt he sticks though.
Agreed. JD is a PTO guy. I could see him in a no pressure market (Arizona?) getting opportunity in the top six. No reporters questions after games. No one recognizes him away from the rink. Zero external pressure to win. If he’s a good teammate (I assume he’s a good one) He’d probably do really well and put up decent numbers.

Reactions: Drive425

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I think we've seen the last of him in an NHL uniform.
I (respectfully) disagree. He is something like .48 points per game, and his C game this year was way better than when he started with the habs. He is still an NHL player, just not at 5M for top six minutes. I predict he gets a 1.5M one year contract or something like a PTO this year, with expectations that are more those of a 3rd liner in a market where he wont get hounded after each game.

Reactions: biturbo19

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I (respectfully) disagree. He is something like .48 points per game, and his C game this year was way better than when he started with the habs. He is still an NHL player, just not at 5M for top six minutes. I predict he gets a 1.5M one year contract or something like a PTO this year, with expectations that are more those of a 3rd liner in a market where he wont get hounded after each game.
Truth is, he was never hounded in Montreal. He was treated well by the fans, media and management. When he had his mental health issues he was left alone.

Last edited:

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
PTO with the Avs

Avs need some flexibility with Landeskog's health for next season unknown. Can't sign someone July 1st because if Landy is good, you're over the cap come pre-season. And if you wait till September to find out what's the deal with Landy, there's no UFAs left.

Reactions: Canadienna

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I'd bring him back to TB and see if we could get something out of him. He was showing a lot of promise when he was here, which obviously got spoiled by the attitude issues. But if he came in humble, and suuuuuper cheap, I think he could replace one of our out-going contracts.
I’d want nothing to do with him even if we’d be getting the young Drouin with massive potential who had just recently been one of our best players in the postseason. The current version of Drouin - broken down, past his prime, and now physically as well as mentally untrustworthy - certainly isn’t worth the risk. I’d rather bring Eyssimont back - at least we’ll never have to question his effort.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't believe this. One of his mental struggles was that he was actually thinking about hockey too much. He was barely sleeping because of that. He might be a hockey junkie.

I thought he'd want to retire for his own good as well but he said he desired to come back, so who knows.

Yeah. I'm not sure that i'd characterize Drouin as one of those guys who just "checked out" and "doesn't care". That seems to have been the crux of his anxiety issues actually...maybe caring too much, and not being able to deliver.

How much work he really puts into actually being better might be scrutinized a bit. How successful he's been in that is questionable. But it doesn't seem like a question of whether he cares.

That's where i can't help but wonder if being a "less important player" on a better team might not be a better fit for him than being a really prominent play on a bad team.

Pav96

Nov 22, 2016
Positives:
- Fast AF
- Excellent ice vision
- Great passer to go with his ice vision

Negatives:
- Doesn't play defense
- Never shoot the puck, ever
- Will absolutly get outmuscled
- Poor health in general (not talking about mental health, I'm talking about the loads of missing games he had in the past few years)

I think he's still able to have 40 points/50 points in the NHL but the 5.5M$ contract days are over, that's for sure

I'd take him back on the Habs, but most def not at the same price

I'd do 3M$/1Y and sign him back yearly, up until we don't need him anymore/trade him/he decides he wants to play elsewhere
3M$......hahaha guy will be lucky to get a million

Reactions: JohnTheBaptist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad