Value of: Functional Toughness to the Oilers

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I just saw it more as some vets made a gutsy play to do what the team needed because no one else would
100%. That is team toughness and guys showing some leadership and guts out there. That should not be their jobs game after game. Had that been Hathaway instead of Couturier we might be down a defenseman right now.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
We don't need more grit or toughness, absolutely not something the Oilers are lacking in any meaningful way. The only mildly gritty player we lost off our roster from last year was Holloway. Desharnais wasn't really gritty, nor Foegele, obviously not McLeod, or Broberg, or Ceci. Not sure why you think this is something the Oilers need. It's not.

First of all, you left out Evander Kane who absolutely plays with a little bite to his game and makes his presence felt physically.

Secondly, saying that Desharnais wasn't gritty is just plain wrong. He absolutely plays a physical game and is very active laying the lumber on opponents and making them think twice about going to the front of the net or going into the corners with him. I don't know how you could watch last season and come away with the idea that he wasn't gritty or physical.

This is a bizarre take.

Ever heard of this guy named Evander Kane? Desharnais played guys physically more with lumber than hits but he never made it easy on the opposing team in front of the net.

This guy gets it.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
First of all, you left out Evander Kane who absolutely plays with a little bite to his game and makes his presence felt physically.

Secondly, saying that Desharnais wasn't gritty is just plain wrong. He absolutely plays a physical game and is very active laying the lumber on opponents and making them think twice about going to the front of the net or going into the corners with him. I don't know how you could watch last season and come away with the idea that he wasn't gritty or physical.

This is a bizarre take.
Kane is still on our team. Desharnais did offer some physicality, but he was a #7 dman who was scratched in a third of our playoff games. Apart from him, our roster is missing nobody. So unless you think Desharnais is some massive loss, I fail to see how the Oilers are any less gritty than last year. Podkolzin is as gritty as Deshairnais, but he's a forward.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
God's country just outside of Calgary
Fighting doesn't happen or need to happen on a nightly basis. As long as we have guys willing to step up when they need to, we don't need a fighter.
Too bad Leon Draisaitl isn't one of those guys willing to step up. Imagine being 6'2" 210 lbs and a coward. Instead you have tiny Troy Stecher carrying water for the team against 6'4" 210 lb Sean Couturier. SMH.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Too bad Leon Draisaitl isn't one of those guys willing to step up. Imagine being 6'2" 210 lbs and a coward. Instead you have tiny Troy Stecher carrying water for the team against 6'4" 210 lb Sean Couturier. SMH.
Truth be told there are times that I am not a fan of his shenanigans because I am a big proponent of if you are going to dish dirt then you should be ready to back it up. That said, in no circumstances do I want to See McDavid, Draisaitl or Bouchard fighting much like you likely didn't want to watch Gaudreau drop them when he was a Flame (RIP Johnny Hockey). They are too valuable to our team. McDavid's last fight led to a broken hand in junior. If that happened now we would be f***ed. The whole point of having guys like Kostin, Deslauriers, etc. is for them to do the majority of the dirty work and fighting.

Reactions: Mr Positive

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
To some extent I share your sentiment. Draisaitl is a big boy who has a habit of using his stick in ways that are outside of the rules. The code says that he should either cut those antics out of his game or be willing to drop the gloves when called on. On the other side, I’m sure you can understand that nobody on the team wants Draisaitl taking fights.

I completely agree that it is embarrassing for the team when little Troy Stecher is the one stepping up. And that’s why I think this thread was created. Of course this wouldn’t be an issue if Kane was dressed every night, but he’s on the shelf for who knows how long.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Oilers problem is a lack of speed. They lost Broberg, McLeod, Holloway and replaced them with a bunch of vets. I have no doubt they will figure it out eventually but they won’t be as fast as last year.

Reactions: Nanuuk

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Oilers problem is a lack of speed. They lost Broberg, McLeod, Holloway and replaced them with a bunch of vets. I have no doubt they will figure it out eventually but they won’t be as fast as last year.
We traded for better and more proven production and shipped out youth and speed. Long term it hurts us no doubt, but for this year, in yet another Cup or Bust year and possibly our last realistic one, it may pay off.

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
It's cause Drai is no dummy, he knows he is more valuable scoring goals than he is mucking it up with a bunch of flames players I mean players of much lesser talent.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
God's country just outside of Calgary
It's cause Drai is no dummy, he knows he is more valuable scoring goals than he is mucking it up with a bunch of flames players I mean players of much lesser talent.
He's a dirty player when pissed off but also a coward who runs from a fight when someone has had enough of his stick work and other dirty plays. Cowards always find an excuse not to fight and are happy to let others take a beating for them.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Stecher was the best one to do it, given everyone else's position on the ice. We probably would have gotten a fight instigator penalty if anyone else left their position to drop the mitts. Stecher did fine. Coutourier is big, but he's not exactly known as a brawler out there.

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
He's a dirty player when pissed off but also a coward who runs from a fight when someone has had enough of his stick work and other dirty plays. Cowards always find an excuse not to fight and are happy to let others take a beating for them.
If ol' Pissy Leon has got you seething then that's a job well done by him :thumbu:

• Haha
Reactions: TFHockey and Rubi

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Stecher was the best one to do it, given everyone else's position on the ice. We probably would have gotten a fight instigator penalty if anyone else left their position to drop the mitts. Stecher did fine. Coutourier is big, but he's not exactly known as a brawler out there.
It's kind of funny that the two Flyers who fought are the two Flyers who recently had major spinal surgeries.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Hathaway and Risto. Risto at 50 percent for 2 first, mix of prospect or picks.

Just shooting for the moon, hey? Two firsts and a mix of prospects and additional picks would land players a hell of a lot better than Risto and Hathaway.

Besides, the Oilers need a defensively solid RHD to pair with Nurse so his physicality and roaming won't be a major issue like it is right now.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It's kind of funny that the two Flyers who fought are the two Flyers who recently had major spinal surgeries.

Couts should probably not be running over goalies if his spine is so fragile. Nobody forced Farabee to fight. Perry challenged him as they lined up, both guys dropped them. I genuinely hope neither are injured, but I'm not sure what relevance this has to anything.

Just shooting for the moon, hey? Two firsts and a mix of prospects and additional picks would land players a hell of a lot better than Risto and Hathaway.

Besides, the Oilers need a defensively solid RHD to pair with Nurse so his physicality and roaming won't be a major issue like it is right now.
Yeah, Risto and a first or two for a mix of middling prospects seems like the right value. Hathaway I'd have time for on the Oilers, but he can't be worth more than a mid round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad