Value of: Functional Toughness to the Oilers

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I just saw it more as some vets made a gutsy play to do what the team needed because no one else would
100%. That is team toughness and guys showing some leadership and guts out there. That should not be their jobs game after game. Had that been Hathaway instead of Couturier we might be down a defenseman right now.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
We don't need more grit or toughness, absolutely not something the Oilers are lacking in any meaningful way. The only mildly gritty player we lost off our roster from last year was Holloway. Desharnais wasn't really gritty, nor Foegele, obviously not McLeod, or Broberg, or Ceci. Not sure why you think this is something the Oilers need. It's not.

First of all, you left out Evander Kane who absolutely plays with a little bite to his game and makes his presence felt physically.

Secondly, saying that Desharnais wasn't gritty is just plain wrong. He absolutely plays a physical game and is very active laying the lumber on opponents and making them think twice about going to the front of the net or going into the corners with him. I don't know how you could watch last season and come away with the idea that he wasn't gritty or physical.

This is a bizarre take.

Ever heard of this guy named Evander Kane? Desharnais played guys physically more with lumber than hits but he never made it easy on the opposing team in front of the net.

This guy gets it.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
First of all, you left out Evander Kane who absolutely plays with a little bite to his game and makes his presence felt physically.

Secondly, saying that Desharnais wasn't gritty is just plain wrong. He absolutely plays a physical game and is very active laying the lumber on opponents and making them think twice about going to the front of the net or going into the corners with him. I don't know how you could watch last season and come away with the idea that he wasn't gritty or physical.

This is a bizarre take.
Kane is still on our team. Desharnais did offer some physicality, but he was a #7 dman who was scratched in a third of our playoff games. Apart from him, our roster is missing nobody. So unless you think Desharnais is some massive loss, I fail to see how the Oilers are any less gritty than last year. Podkolzin is as gritty as Deshairnais, but he's a forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad