Full clip of McDavid's expletive-filled rant at Oilers teammates drops

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The same people criticizing him for this clip are the sort of people who say "He only cares about regular season stats and awards". They are just not intelligent enough to have the self-awareness to understand when they contradict themselves.
I think those people meant Marner, Matthews, and Tavares on the regular season stats comment 🤔

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Did I claim he has?
And that’s kind of the point. Until McDavid actually wins a Cup this kind of locker room “Ra Ra” stuff should be kept in house. Otherwise he comes off foolish. He did nothing in the biggest game. Where was the “Ra Ra” on the ice in that moment?
Clearly he’s a great player but until he actually hoists a Cup (as a key player in that win too) his words ring hollow.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
And that’s kind of the point. Until McDavid actually wins a Cup this kind of locker room “Ra Ra” stuff should be kept in house. Otherwise he comes off foolish. He did nothing in the biggest game. Where was the “Ra Ra” on the ice in that moment?
Clearly he’s a great player but until he actually hoists a Cup (as a key player in that win too) his words ring hollow.
How did he do as a whole in the finals?

You know what, nevermind. This is dumb, and a prime example of what I was talking about. Before the last playoffs, all the talk was about how he was a regular season player but not a leader who shows up in the playoffs. 42 points and a Conn Smythe later, and people are complaining that he's too Ra Ra and also not Ra Ra enough.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
How did he do as a whole in the finals?

You know what, nevermind. This is dumb, and a prime example of what I was talking about. Before the last playoffs, all the talk was about how he was a regular season player but not a leader who shows up in the playoffs. 42 points and a Conn Smythe later, and people are complaining that he's too Ra Ra and also not Ra Ra enough.
Exactly! The Oilers should keep this stuff private. McDavid didn’t win.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Lmao NBA players spent at least a year in college back then (three in his case), so he was 21 by the time he entered the league not 18.

(there weren't rules like now where you had to be a year removed from college but until the mid 90s there had been precisely two players who went straight to the NBA)
So? My point still stands.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
So? My point still stands.

Comparing them this way completely favours McDavid and ignores context.

If you go by seasons played, Jordans ninth season was 92-93, not only had he just won three straight championships, he was a 3x MVP, 1x DPOY and scored the most points seven straight years.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Guy doesn't say anything about himself needing to be better and is having a tantrum at his teammates.

He is exactly how I picture behind the scenes! Lmao.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with McDavid's rant. I'm sure it's common and that his teammates would have heard similar stuff multiple times in their careers, going back to junior.

Those post-game rants, however, aren't very effective. The timing is wrong, and they're usually just someone giving in to frustration. A more skilled leader would be able to show lots of emotion while also coming up with something more helpful than "dig in.," and he'd save it for later.

What would Jean Beliveau do?

• Love
Reactions: sanscosm

Devilsfan2326

Oct 4, 2011
A thin line between complaining and motivating... feels like throwing a tantrum. Venting maybe? He might as well have said "I want it, I want it, i want it!" about a toy in the store or something. Same vibe... saying "this happens every single time"... seems really bitter about his teammates. Like he's outwardly blaming them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad