Rumor: [Friedman] Nothing imminent, but Columbus may be looking for some help at center

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Toews has looked good to start this year. 6 goals and 2 assists. Not sure if he would agree to be traded though. And I very much doubt the return the hawks would want is Roslovic.

Yea, its not like he needs to chase rings. He can easily not waive his clause and be a one-team guy.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I can tell you that Brisson probably wasn't conspiring with Panarin and Bob to get them to leave Columbus.

Probably.
That's nice. It's also irrelevant to the discussion, unless you're trying to strawman troll by making up some "Jackets fans blame Brisson for absolutely everything that's gone wrong with player retention" nonsense in your head and then trying to get us to respond to it as though that ever reflected anything we ever believed. But in that case, the hypothetical relevance is slightly trumped by the whole "trolling is against the rules" thing.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Adam Henrique for Gus Nyqvist? Both coming off strong seasons but struggling out of the gate.

Henrique has been great in the faceoff circle for the past few years but has been bumped to the wing this season. He has an additional year on his deal at a slightly higher cap hit, so perhaps some retention would be necessary.
Can't take on the additional year; otherwise this would be worth giving some thought.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Easy no. Our current blend of defensemen isn't working out, but Werenski is the exact polar opposite of being part of the problem.

So what is the story here? You've got Gudbranson, Peeke, Bean and now Jiricek forcing his way into the lineup as RD. How does this resolve itself in your opinion?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
He wonders a lot.
He does that to protect his source
If he says, "a source told me" the organization looks for the source
If he speculates on a glaring issue, despite being tipped off by his source, it's a bit less obvious, or at least keeps the hounds at bay.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So what is the story here? You've got Gudbranson, Peeke, Bean and now Jiricek forcing his way into the lineup as RD. How does this resolve itself in your opinion?
If I knew for sure, I'd be seeking job interviews with the Jackets. Right now it's looking like our best RD at the moment is Blankenburg, but he's out injured. Bean and Boqvist are not meshing well and so it's possible we end up trading them at a loss, which sucks. Peeke is fairly solid at what he does but he's not good enough to push most folks down. Gudbranson is supposed to be a limited-usage roleplayer and character guy and yet he's already having to be used more than we ever wanted to. We really badly need that top pairing RD, but there's no way we're getting that via trade and Jiricek won't be ready for a long while yet, and the attempts to cover the problem by committee are not just failing, they're making the problem worse.

I have hopes for Blanks when he gets healthy (I love the kid), but even then he's probably outmatched. And that doesn't even begin to address defensive system woes. That can only be addressed by coaching and time, and there's a lot of folks here who never truly believed in Larsen. So it's all kind of up in the air. I don't think anyone expected Good Things, but I don't think anyone really expected it to be this bad either.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If I knew for sure, I'd be seeking job interviews with the Jackets. Right now it's looking like our best RD at the moment is Blankenburg, but he's out injured. Bean and Boqvist are not meshing well and so it's possible we end up trading them at a loss, which sucks. Peeke is fairly solid at what he does but he's not good enough to push most folks down. Gudbranson is supposed to be a limited-usage roleplayer and character guy and yet he's already having to be used more than we ever wanted to. We really badly need that top pairing RD, but there's no way we're getting that via trade and Jiricek won't be ready for a long while yet, and the attempts to cover the problem by committee are not just failing, they're making the problem worse.

I have hopes for Blanks when he gets healthy (I love the kid), but even then he's probably outmatched. And that doesn't even begin to address defensive system woes. That can only be addressed by coaching and time, and there's a lot of folks here who never truly believed in Larsen. So it's all kind of up in the air. I don't think anyone expected Good Things, but I don't think anyone really expected it to be this bad either.

Thanks

I like Peeke, I think he's going to grow into being a very solid D man in this league in time. Not top pairing, but the kind of guy teams need on their second pairing. Leafs could use a guy like him, to solidify the defensive portion of the game.

Reactions: Viqsi

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
So... the theme here is Columbus needs help at C, so your solution is for them to trade away two C's?
the theme for me as a Leaf fan is to dump JT and his anchor contract

and the Jackets need a top 6 C , they have enough middle/bottom 6 C's that they could afford to give up a couple and don't some of their guys play both w/c ?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
the theme for me as a Leaf fan is to dump JT and his anchor contract

and the Jackets need a top 6 C , they have enough middle/bottom 6 C's that they could afford to give up a couple and don't some of their guys play both w/c ?

No, it doesn't work for them. They need to add a C, to push down the guys they already have.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
That's nice. It's also irrelevant to the discussion, unless you're trying to strawman troll by making up some "Jackets fans blame Brisson for absolutely everything that's gone wrong with player retention" nonsense in your head and then trying to get us to respond to it as though that ever reflected anything we ever believed. But in that case, the hypothetical relevance is slightly trumped by the whole "trolling is against the rules" thing.

I'm not the one who said 'connect the dots' with all these Brisson players...

The only thing that stands out among to players you mentioned is Werenski is the one player who wanted to stay in Columbus. Brisson tends to get some of the biggest marquee players, so it's only natural that he'd be the agent for a lot of those star players.

Again, some players like Panarin and Bob just wanted out.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm not the one who said 'connect the dots' with all these Brisson players...

The only thing that stands out among to players you mentioned is Werenski is the one player who wanted to stay in Columbus. Brisson tends to get some of the biggest marquee players, so it's only natural that he'd be the agent for a lot of those star players.

Again, some players like Panarin and Bob just wanted out.
So, strawman-trolling. Good to know. You can go now.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Columbus will get their center when they pick top 5 or 7 in the 2023 draft. It’s loaded with high end centers. And they’re just going to have to be patient for that player and Sillinger to evolve & mature naturally.

They would’ve been a better balanced team had they signed Kadri and kept Bjorkstrand vs having only Gaudreau, IMO.

Reactions: I3LI3

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
@Viqsi could you afford to trade away Jenner and Roslovic, to get a better C? Or do you need a better C, to push those guys down?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hotpaws

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad