Friedman: CRA going after former athletes for Canadian teams could impact their ability to draw free agents

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Pretty obvious what they mean. Excessive amount of management and bureaucracy. No one gives a shit about results as they are not personally incentivized to do so. No risks or changes as that could put a target on your back. Just get your annual budget increase and keep your head down.

Same thing happens to any large organization. Difference is every 5-10 years a private organization will clear house. Governments just keep getting worse.
Now define "excessive amount of management". What is an "acceptable" amount? Define "results".

See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Y'all hear rhetoric and you just believe it. The county I work at serves the mentally ill and homeless. Each clinician has a caseload of roughly 40-50 people they see a week. Not always out of a clinic. Sometimes they drove 30 miles each way to try and find them at their house. Sometimes they have to wait for hours with them at a hospital so they can get treatment. Sometimes they have to inject them with Narcan to save their lives before they overdose in an alley. What about their managers who also have a caseload but who are also responsible for making sure those clients get seen and their clinicians aren't overbilling? These are people who have masters degrees and have gotten licensed after putting in a few thousand hours towards helping people. They're underpaid as many of them have their own practice they do work out of on the weekends so they can make ends meet. Would you define that as "lazy" or someone who "doesn't give a shit about results"?

As far as budgets go, my particular agency is going to see a budget cut of 10% next year. Are they seeing fewer people? No. Are they being asked to work fewer hours? Nope. Know what is happening though? There will be clinics that are closed so clients have fewer resources to assist them with help however.

The truth is, you don't understand how actual government offices work around the nation. I don't blame you though. Why, or better yet, how COULD you know? You don't have time to go and examine each one. I just wish you guys would stop pretending like you did.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Now define "excessive amount of management". What is an "acceptable" amount? Define "results".

See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Y'all hear rhetoric and you just believe it. The county I work at serves the mentally ill and homeless. Each clinician has a caseload of roughly 40-50 people they see a week. Not always out of a clinic. Sometimes they drove 30 miles each way to try and find them at their house. Sometimes they have to wait for hours with them at a hospital so they can get treatment. Sometimes they have to inject them with Narcan to save their lives before they overdose in an alley. What about their managers who also have a caseload but who are also responsible for making sure those clients get seen and their clinicians aren't overbilling? These are people who have masters degrees and have gotten licensed after putting in a few thousand hours towards helping people. They're underpaid as many of them have their own practice they do work out of on the weekends so they can make ends meet. Would you define that as "lazy" or someone who "doesn't give a shit about results"?

As far as budgets go, my particular agency is going to see a budget cut of 10% next year. Are they seeing fewer people? No. Are they being asked to work fewer hours? Nope. Know what is happening though? There will be clinics that are closed so clients have fewer resources to assist them with help however.

The truth is, you don't understand how actual government offices work around the nation. I don't blame you though. Why, or better yet, how COULD you know? You don't have time to go and examine each one. I just wish you guys would stop pretending like you did.

I've worked with governments my whole career.

Used to have to call CRA everyday as a CPA. On two non profit boards. Texting relationship with both my MLA and mayor. Argue endlessly with bylaws, zoning, and permits.

You know who shit talks government bureaucracy more than anyone. People that work in the government and have to deal with that nonsense daily. They all know what they are doing is stupid, they're just Following rules that someone without hands on experience made up

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
I've worked with governments my whole career.

Used to have to call CRA everyday as a CPA. On two non profit boards. Texting relationship with both my MLA and mayor. Argue endlessly with bylaws, zoning, and permits.

You know who shit talks government bureaucracy more than anyone. People that work in the government and have to deal with that nonsense daily. They all know what they are doing is stupid, they're just Following rules that someone without hands on experience made up
So, if I understand you correctly, you've never worked in government. Got it.

It boils down to "I don't like the rules and think they're stupid therefore government doesn't know what they're doing." There's nothing specific you can point to that is wrong, just that it makes you do things you don't want to do. I appreciate you basically stating what I already know.

You don't need to bother responding though, I don't care to debate this with you. You're just going to continue to prove what I'm saying and just not see it. You're right. I'm wrong. Government is bad and doesn't know how to do anything right.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
So, if I understand you correctly, you've never worked in government. Got it.

It boils down to "I don't like the rules and think they're stupid therefore government doesn't know what they're doing." There's nothing specific you can point to that is wrong, just that it makes you do things you don't want to do. I appreciate you basically stating what I already know.

You don't need to bother responding though, I don't care to debate this with you. You're just going to continue to prove what I'm saying and just not see it. You're right. I'm wrong. Government is bad and doesn't know how to do anything right.
Nope never did. Really the only career advice my dad ever gave me was get a degree and never work for the government. Seems great at first but you'll want to kill yourself by the time you're forty from the futility of it all.

Working alongside it so much I very much thank him for that advice

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I've worked in both and there is just as much waste in the private sector. The only difference is that you don't hear about the person making $250k a year who can't open a PDF and doesn't know how to add an attachment to their email regularly.

Point of fact, what people think of as "waste" and "red tape" is usually there to make sure money is being spent properly instead of just because it looks cool. I worked at an architecture firm and they spent $25k on a rug that looked like a cow hide. No way in hell that would fly where I'm at now.
To be fair, when there's waste or inefficiency in the private sector, that's their own problem (generally speaking). When there's waste in the government, it absolutely should be scrutinized by the public whom is being forcefully compelled to fund that institution.

Furthermore, public scrutiny is all we have. Public companies have a lawful obligation to their shareholders to be as profitable as possible. There is no such lawful motivation to government agencies (except the IRS I suppose).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad