GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Hearing maybe Detroit has talked a little to JVR too but he wants 2 years. Not sure if they’re in on anyone else.
Again? :laugh: JVR is Stevie's white whale.
Don’t think it’s any secret but looks like they’re working on a couple of things. Likely why Yzerman won’t have a presser today.

Whether that’s Ekblad, Faulk, Theodore, Pietrangelo, Trouba or whoever it maybe, something is going on.
Our boys coming home, Stevie's big splash summer.
Chiarot - Seider
Edvinsson - Ekblad
Gustafsson - Trouba
Johansson - Petry

Reactions: SoupNazi

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
It's definitely better than last year though.

Seider-johansson
Edvinsson-gustafsson
Chiarot-petry
Holl

Honestly this board is going overboard. When we didn't get trouba or ghost they got Gustafsson which is an improvement and edvinsson and Johansson will be improvements also

Even this organization isn’t incompetent enough to let Edvinsson break into the NHL full time with Gustafsson as his partner. There’s gotta be another move to fix this mess of a D. Preferably two to give Seider a decent parter to play with as well. The perplexing part is they have 9 D already.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
So far the only deal I would have wanted Detroit to match is Teravainen.
The nucks are my team but I have always been a fan of the wings and was really curious if you guys would go big today.

Thank God you guys didn't these deals that got done today have been. Being a homer I'm a fan of what the nucks did as for the wings the only thing I think would have been a good add would have been Pesce or Marino.

The leafs and Preds signed some terrible deals like WTF?

What I came to ask was why do you think Seider and Raymond aren't signed yet? Both should be easy 8 year deals no? Seider 8×8-9 Raymond I would have said 8× 7.5-8 ( kids gonna be a stud) but with the habs overpaying on Caufield and now the ridiculous Slaf deal along with the rising cap what do you guys see him getting at 8? Or do they bridge him or both? I wouldn't because the cap is going up and might cost a ton in 3-4 years.

Reactions: SoupNazi

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
The nucks are my team but I have always been a fan of the wings and was really curious if you guys would go big today.

Thank God you guys didn't these deals that got done today have been. Being a homer I'm a fan of what the nucks did as for the wings the only thing I think would have been a good add would have been Pesce or Marino.

What I came to ask was why do you think Seider and Raymond aren't signed yet? Both should be easy 8 year deals no? Seider 8×8-9 Raymond I would have said 8× 7.5-8 ( kids gonna be a stud) but with the habs overpaying on Caufield and now the ridiculous Slaf deal along with the rising cap what do you guys see him getting at 8? Or do they bridge him or both? I wouldn't because the cap is going up and might cost a ton in 3-4 years.
Yzerman said he wants to do long term with Raymond, but will see if that's what he wants to do. Seider no one reallys knows, but can't see it being any different.

They might be looking at the money spent today and asking for bridge deals to get a big payday next time.

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015

Yzerman is known for being a tough negotiator so he's gonna be trying to get both of them as low as possible. While their agents(Seider got Claude Lemieux which is a funny detail in it all) obviously are gonna try and get as much as possible.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Again? :laugh: JVR is Stevie's white whale.

Our boys coming home, Stevie's big splash summer.
Chiarot - Seider
Edvinsson - Ekblad
Gustafsson - Trouba
Johansson - Petry
JVR - as in James f-ing Van Riemsdyk?

What little scoring prowess he had - wafted away like a fart in the wind years ago...He's a total waste of a roster spot - would rather see Veleno signed instead.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Some things to keep in mind:

1. The Wings have room in their roster for guys we've been clamoring for to move up. And not just the guys who need to move up (Berggren, Johansson) but ones that could break out in camp because they are ready (Kasper, Mazur, Danielson, etc.) - there will be space and roles for them to come up and do some work

2. Half of the league seemed to absolutely lose their mind, not just in dollar amount, but in astronomical term; this gives the Wings a lot of flexibility going forward to facilitate and to capitalize here on out both in the near team, and in next season why so many teams are now buried in long term commitments to some...rather question pieces and ages.

3. We have four goalies for some reason? I cannot imagine that Lyon or Talbot are going anyway. Campbell probably is a flyer on pedigree and reclamation - so AHL perhaps or just depth. Meaning we should expect some kind of move with Husso going forward.

4. Most importantly, there are number of teams that flat out need to make moves going forward to even ice a complete team. So many teams are over or near the cap to make much of this kind of difficult and will have to shed players, in a market where a team like the Wings could very much capitalize:

To name a few:

Avalanche - 16 / 23 - with only 6M in space; plus 8M sitting on IR that could push them way over. They will need to do something

Knights - 19/23 - 1.8M in space; Shea Theodore has been on the block for a while; Peiterangelo also has been shopped supposedly

Panthers - 18/23 - 8M in space; supposedly have looked for buyers for Ekbald

Senators - probably needs to do something with Pinto at least; make room for more signings to round out their roster

There is a real opportunity here in trade to get assets for comparatively cheap value because there are fewer and fewer trading options to move off a 7.5M Ekbald or a 5.3 Theodore both in cap space and need.

Just something to think about
Pretty crazy a team as shitty as the sens only have 4 million in cap space

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
Some things to keep in mind:

1. The Wings have room in their roster for guys we've been clamoring for to move up. And not just the guys who need to move up (Berggren, Johansson) but ones that could break out in camp because they are ready (Kasper, Mazur, Danielson, etc.) - there will be space and roles for them to come up and do some work

2. Half of the league seemed to absolutely lose their mind, not just in dollar amount, but in astronomical term; this gives the Wings a lot of flexibility going forward to facilitate and to capitalize here on out both in the near team, and in next season why so many teams are now buried in long term commitments to some...rather question pieces and ages.

3. We have four goalies for some reason? I cannot imagine that Lyon or Talbot are going anyway. Campbell probably is a flyer on pedigree and reclamation - so AHL perhaps or just depth. Meaning we should expect some kind of move with Husso going forward.

4. Most importantly, there are number of teams that flat out need to make moves going forward to even ice a complete team. So many teams are over or near the cap to make much of this kind of difficult and will have to shed players, in a market where a team like the Wings could very much capitalize:

To name a few:

Avalanche - 16 / 23 - with only 6M in space; plus 8M sitting on IR that could push them way over. They will need to do something

Knights - 19/23 - 1.8M in space; Shea Theodore has been on the block for a while; Peiterangelo also has been shopped supposedly

Panthers - 18/23 - 8M in space; supposedly have looked for buyers for Ekbald

Senators - probably needs to do something with Pinto at least; make room for more signings to round out their roster

There is a real opportunity here in trade to get assets for comparatively cheap value because there are fewer and fewer trading options to move off a 7.5M Ekbald or a 5.3 Theodore both in cap space and need.

Just something to think about
You have a point, that pesky little achievement of winning the Cup does make things difficult. The Sens are the Sens. Trading Walman for cap room at this part of the process doesn't sound good though.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Pretty disappointed to see the signings we made, not going to lie. Gustafsson is like a poor man's Ghost and the rest are meh. I like Fischer back and Talbot is ok. That said, we certainly didn't improve the team at all and I think actually got slightly worse. Also, why would Steve want JVR? He was only ok when he was good, and now he is a 35 year old is only ok? These signings just make me think of stop gap moves we made while we were bottoming out, which then makes Kane being brought back make less sense. I don't see how we are more competitive playoff wise with what we have right now.

Not saying I wanted us to go crazy like some of the deals that got signed today, but it would have been nice to see something bigger or better than what we got.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Again, hell f***ing no on skinner.

Selfish me-first player. Inconsistent effort season to season. Doesn’t know his goalies name.
View attachment 891004

Bring up Kasper and Mazur. Try and dump Copp to San Jose or Utah. Run Veleno as the 4C on a one year deal. Call it a day and accept Detroit finishing 7th in the division. That should be a top 8 pick next year.
The days of dumping to the Arizona/Utah franchise are over.

I'm really curious to see what if any the plan is with Detroit.
So close last year but now any real good additions need to be via a trade.

A scenario that would cost good prospects and many of you guys tend to not like the idea of adding older players for high-end prospects but that's what it would take for some of those names.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
Like what.

1. Larkin, point per game player as last season. Full season = 10 extra points.
2. Raymond, will improve from 72 points to point per game player 82/82 = 10 extra points.
3. Kane 0.94 points per game, full season = 47 points to 77 points = 30 extra points.
4. DeBrincat, replicates last season 67 points. 0 difference.
5. Compher, 50-point season, 2 extra points.
(Perron 47 points)
6. Berggren = will replace Sprong 43 points, when getting a full season.
-------- The Top six will score 50 extra points and replace those Perron points. +5 points overall
7. Rasmussen, 33 points, will improve to 40p. +7 points.
8. Copp, 33 points, could improve a bit to 40p. +7 points.
9. Fabbri, 32 points, expect same 32p.
10. Veleno, 28 points, could improve a bit to 33p. +5 points.
11. Fischer, 19 points. expect the same 19p
12. Last season Berggren, 6 points in 12 games. some kid like Mazur could do this.
13. Kostin, 4 points in 33 games. Sheldon Dries can do this.
14. Czarnik, 1 point in 33 games. Anyone can do this.

So all in all, It's David Perron who is not replaced, but his production could be replaced most probably with improvement from Raymond, and Kane full season.
Wow, can we get you to work on the budget deficit?

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
The days of dumping to the Arizona/Utah franchise are over.

I'm really curious to see what if any the plan is with Detroit.
So close last year but now any real good additions need to be via a trade.

A scenario that would cost good prospects and many of you guys tend to not like the idea of adding older players for high-end prospects but that's what it would take for some of those names.
Meh there is still Ottawa, Buffalo and Columbus to dump on.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Yeah let’s get real fellas…. It’s a f***ing good thing Stevie did nothing. Those contracts are a joke. And people complain about Copps’ contract.

The only bad thing SY did today was sign that stupid ass Campbell goalie

I mean I hope he does something and improve the team but not through FA. Thats a f***ing joke.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Pretty disappointed to see the signings we made, not going to lie. Gustafsson is like a poor man's Ghost and the rest are meh. I like Fischer back and Talbot is ok. That said, we certainly didn't improve the team at all and I think actually got slightly worse. Also, why would Steve want JVR? He was only ok when he was good, and now he is a 35 year old is only ok? These signings just make me think of stop gap moves we made while we were bottoming out, which then makes Kane being brought back make less sense. I don't see how we are more competitive playoff wise with what we have right now.

Not saying I wanted us to go crazy like some of the deals that got signed today, but it would have been nice to see something bigger or better than what we got.

I would think the bigger splash off-season is the next one.

Now it's the "same" team, but usually no one can project the growth from youth.

Too many in here are thinking how Seider is what he is, Raymond is waht he is, Berggren is what he is, Edvinsson is what he is.

No.

They are gonna take strides ahead and get better and giving an impact. 91-point "same" team will turn to 100-point team, thanks to them.

Bringing in new and raw prospects like Danielson or Mazur don't do any major difference, but they can fill short-term on injuries. That's always a false belief. They are not ready. But the matured prospects are.

Reactions: saska sault

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

Too many in here are thinking how Seider is what he is, Raymond is waht he is, Berggren is what he is, Edvinsson is what he is.

No.

They are gonna take strides ahead and get better and giving an impact. 91-point "same" team will turn to 100-point team, thanks to them.

Bringing in new and raw prospects like Danielson or Mazur don't do any major difference, but they can fill short-term on injuries. That's always a false belief. They are not ready. But the matured prospects are.
There is no way this team is a 100 point team. It’s way more likely this is an 75 point team than it is a 100 point team

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I could have sworn I saw a post somewhere the other day postulating what would happen if a team had both Perry and Skinner. It's like tying buttered toast on the back of a cat...

Oilers now:

Arvidsson - McDavid - Hyman
Skinner - Draisaitl - E.Kane
Holloway - RNH - Perry
McLeod - Ryan - Brown

Imo, could be better and deeper than last season.

Reactions: Ori

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Certainly not a flashy FA day but I am glad we avoided some of the chaos and the insane deals and term that was thrown around today.

I'm glad we brought Kane back - especially since we didn't make a splash with any of the other big FA names, and if Kane didn't re-sign he would definitely be one of the bigger names on the market today. It's a good deal and very little risk all things considered.

I'm fine with Gustavsson, cheaper than Ghost, and can actually play some decent defense. The PP may suffer a bit, but we did need to get better defensively. I wish we were able to get a Pesce or Roy, but Edvinsson + Gustavsson is probably a little better than Walman + Gostisbhere, though I suppose that remains to be seen. I'm still hoping to see a move or two for the defense, since it's awfully crowded and there's not much actual structure to the defense right now, just a ton of bodies.

Talbot deal is actually pretty good as well, but I do want to see what the plan is with the goalies because right now it looks like a mess on paper.

Glad we brought Fischer back, and on a cheap no-risk deal, nothing wrong with that. Hopefully we do get to see a forward prospect make the team since there seems to be at least 1 spot open right now.

I get why some folks are disappointed since today was pretty underwhelming, but honestly avoiding some of those contracts that were handed out today is a relief, and there's still plenty of time for a move or two.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

No.

Won't every teams youth grow or is that just restricted to Detroit?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad